Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1089690 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6285 on: December 13, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »
Girlie, I do!  One guy I work with was offered both positions that he'd interviewed for in our office.  He'd done contract work in both sections so he knew what each job was about.  They both had pros and cons and he just couldn't make up his mind so he flipped a coin to decide which job to take.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Iris

« Reply #6286 on: December 13, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Does anyone ever actually just "flip a coin" to help them make an important decision? I know I've been tempted to in the past, but I don't anyone who's ever actually done it.

Not quite, but I knew someone who flipped a coin to help decide whether to accept a marriage proposal or not

In reality, she couldn't decide, so another friend suggested that she pick "Heads, yes, tails, no" and flip a coin. The logic was that if she felt disappointed by the result she would gain insight into her feelings.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6287 on: December 13, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
Does anyone ever actually just "flip a coin" to help them make an important decision? I know I've been tempted to in the past, but I don't anyone who's ever actually done it.

Not quite, but I knew someone who flipped a coin to help decide whether to accept a marriage proposal or not

In reality, she couldn't decide, so another friend suggested that she pick "Heads, yes, tails, no" and flip a coin. The logic was that if she felt disappointed by the result she would gain insight into her feelings.

I've done this sort of thing with a few decisions, though not major ones (more things like, "What movie should we go to?" or, "What restaurant for lunch?"). It's funny how it's hard to know your own mind sometimes until the option you really want is not the one chosen for you.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #6288 on: December 14, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
I cannot tell you the number of times I've been faced with a long drive (sometimes in inclement weather) and wished heartily for a transporter.  ;D

Yes, but then I remember that the only realistic way for a transporter to operate as seen in Star Trek would be for them to kill you by dissolving you into atoms, analyse your residue, and then make an exact copy of you elsewhere. And then I remember that this is a *government issue* transporter. And then I decide I'd rather drive  :)

Oooh, yeah, under those requirements, I'll drive.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6289 on: December 14, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
How did Nena's 99 Luftballons end up being played with US Christmas songs? It's always baffled me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

dawnfire

« Reply #6290 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:34 PM »
How did Nena's 99 Luftballons end up being played with US Christmas songs? It's always baffled me.

that would baffle me too!   ???

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6291 on: December 14, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »

Me, too. Was it the German version or the English one? All I can imagine is that someone found out the title meant "99 balloons" and assumed it was a song about toys without bothering to figure out what the rest of the lyrics were. ???*

*Don't ask me why "song about toys" would automatically be "Christmas song" or why they'd decide to insert a foreign language song about toys when there are so very many actual Christmas songs. My hypothesis breaks down at that point.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6292 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »

Me, too. Was it the German version or the English one? All I can imagine is that someone found out the title meant "99 balloons" and assumed it was a song about toys without bothering to figure out what the rest of the lyrics were. ???*

*Don't ask me why "song about toys" would automatically be "Christmas song" or why they'd decide to insert a foreign language song about toys when there are so very many actual Christmas songs. My hypothesis breaks down at that point.

The first time I heard it was in the mid-80's and was the original German version.  I remember asking my GM and Great Aunt why the radio was playing it with the Christmas songs marathon because I knew enough German that I knew it shouldn't be played with the Christmas songs, but not enough to know what all the lyrics meant.

The English version is played very frequently with the round the clock Christmas stations every year.  I can only assume and hope they don't know it is a protest song about stupid ways wars are started.

ETA: political changed to protest....stupid spell check
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:12:32 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6293 on: December 15, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »

The first time I heard it was in the mid-80's and was the original German version.  I remember asking my GM and Great Aunt why the radio was playing it with the Christmas songs marathon because I knew enough German that I knew it shouldn't be played with the Christmas songs, but not enough to know what all the lyrics meant.

The English version is played very frequently with the round the clock Christmas stations every year.  I can only assume and hope they don't know it is a protest song about stupid ways wars are started.

I have an idea on that.  It's a song protesting war, which makes it a song about peace.  Isn't Christmas *about* peace on Earth, goodwill toward Man?

GreenHall

« Reply #6294 on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »

I don't know this song, but the discussion on it made me think of my Christmas play list, with Joy to the World...by Three Dog Night....In my case, it makes me grin whenever it comes up.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6295 on: December 15, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »

Happily, we've been spared that. 

The idea of 99 Luftballoons as a holiday song is a puzzler.  Everything about it is wrong.  The tune doesn't sound particularly cheerful and the words, in German or English, are not holiday appropriate.  May as well play 'I Ain't Marchin' Anymore'.     

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6296 on: December 15, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »

I have an idea on that.  It's a song protesting war, which makes it a song about peace.  Isn't Christmas *about* peace on Earth, goodwill toward Man?

I think the "peace on earth" generally associated with Christmas is the idea of people choosing to be peaceful and get along with their fellow humans. The "peace" described at the end of 99 Luftballons occurs because people have engaged in senseless warfare for so long that pretty much everyone is dead and the world is in ruins (and the last act described in the song is releasing another balloon, so if anyone else is still alive and capable of engaging in war...well, let's just hope the singer isn't the only person who realizes what started the war in the song).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6297 on: December 15, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »

I think the "peace on earth" generally associated with Christmas is the idea of people choosing to be peaceful and get along with their fellow humans. The "peace" described at the end of 99 Luftballons occurs because people have engaged in senseless warfare for so long that pretty much everyone is dead and the world is in ruins (and the last act described in the song is releasing another balloon, so if anyone else is still alive and capable of engaging in war...well, let's just hope the singer isn't the only person who realizes what started the war in the song).

The point I was trying to make is that's exactly what they're protesting... which means they're promoting the cessation of such.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #6298 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
ARRRRRRRGH!
Okay, I did a search and couldn't find the answer/too many results: what is the trick for inserting a hyperlink into a post? :-[ :-[
I know about the 'insert link' button but I just don't have the HTML in the right place or I didn't type something I was supposed to ???...
I thought there was a tutorial for this kind of thing up in the top section of the board but I guess not...

Memory refresh please? :-\
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6299 on: December 16, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
ARRRRRRRGH!
Okay, I did a search and couldn't find the answer/too many results: what is the trick for inserting a hyperlink into a post? :-[ :-[
I know about the 'insert link' button but I just don't have the HTML in the right place or I didn't type something I was supposed to ???...
I thought there was a tutorial for this kind of thing up in the top section of the board but I guess not...

Memory refresh please? :-\

I don't know about the 'insert link' button . . .

What I do is copy the URL address (in the address bar) from the website page that I want to link to and paste it into my reply.

Now, posting photos is a different story . . . I have no clue how to do that.