Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1014460 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6300 on: December 16, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
ARRRRRRRGH!
Okay, I did a search and couldn't find the answer/too many results: what is the trick for inserting a hyperlink into a post? :-[ :-[
I know about the 'insert link' button but I just don't have the HTML in the right place or I didn't type something I was supposed to ???...
I thought there was a tutorial for this kind of thing up in the top section of the board but I guess not...

Memory refresh please? :-\

I don't know about the 'insert link' button . . .

What I do is copy the URL address (in the address bar) from the website page that I want to link to and paste it into my reply.

Now, posting photos is a different story . . . I have no clue how to do that.
Yeah I'm looking for that space-saving trick of having blue underlined text you can mouse over.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Adelaide

« Reply #6301 on: December 16, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »
I was just talking to my mother about tips at restaurants. I know we've talked about the percentage on here, but that's not my question is about. My question is why do you tip? Is there a standard, agreed-upon reason? My impression is that you tip nothing if your service is terrible, a standard amount (again, not trying to discuss exact amounts) if your service is good/decent, and then more if your service is great.

I treat tips like a commentary on the quality of service. However, my mother was just talking about a notorious, awful dinner we had a year ago. The servers were bored and listless the whole time and some were actually rude. I told my mom "Well, I guess they didn't get tipped!" and she said no, they got tipped the standard amount. When I asked why (the service was truly, extraordinarily bad) she replied "Well, that's how these people make their living." She and my father are of the same mindset, that you tip "just because", so I was wondering if I had the wrong (or an odd) idea about why you tip.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6302 on: December 16, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
I agree with your reasoning.  But for me, the service would have to be really bad for me to leave a very minimal tip.  I would never leave no tip; I'd leave a quarter.  That way, it is abundantly clear what I thought of their service.  But if I was leaving that kind of tip, I would also ask to speak to the manager.

I've recently had what I would consider pretty poor service.  Granted, it was a fairly large group but it took over 2 hours to serve our lunch and it was served badly.  Everything was placed in the middle of the table, rather than all along the table.  And invariably, stuff got passed the opposite direction from where I was sitting so by the time the plates got to me, there was very little left.  (It was a sushi place.)  I did leave a small tip of less than 10%.  Many others in the group didn't tip at all.  And I should add the place to the 'I'll never shop there again' thread.

In my area, servers do get a decent wage that is only slightly less than standard minimum wage so if the service is pleasant, timely and reasonably accurate, the server gets my regular amount.  If the service is really excellent, the server will get more than my usual amount.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Adelaide

« Reply #6303 on: December 16, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »
This was literally the worst service I've ever had in my life. I personally would have spoken to the manager, but I was the youngest person there (large family gathering) and my father was paying for our part so it wasn't my place to speak to the manager at the time.

squeakers

« Reply #6304 on: December 16, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
ARRRRRRRGH!
Okay, I did a search and couldn't find the answer/too many results: what is the trick for inserting a hyperlink into a post? :-[ :-[
I know about the 'insert link' button but I just don't have the HTML in the right place or I didn't type something I was supposed to ???...
I thought there was a tutorial for this kind of thing up in the top section of the board but I guess not...

click "insert hyperlink"

(url]place link here[/url) (changed first and last brackets to parentheses to show)

http://google.com (normal)

google text link

(url=http://google.com]google[/url) (changed first and last brackets to parentheses to show)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:02:19 PM by squeakers »
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #6305 on: December 16, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
I was just talking to my mother about tips at restaurants. I know we've talked about the percentage on here, but that's not my question is about. My question is why do you tip? Is there a standard, agreed-upon reason? My impression is that you tip nothing if your service is terrible, a standard amount (again, not trying to discuss exact amounts) if your service is good/decent, and then more if your service is great.

I treat tips like a commentary on the quality of service. However, my mother was just talking about a notorious, awful dinner we had a year ago. The servers were bored and listless the whole time and some were actually rude. I told my mom "Well, I guess they didn't get tipped!" and she said no, they got tipped the standard amount. When I asked why (the service was truly, extraordinarily bad) she replied "Well, that's how these people make their living." She and my father are of the same mindset, that you tip "just because", so I was wondering if I had the wrong (or an odd) idea about why you tip.

Your reasoning is correct.  Tips refer to: To Insure Proper Service.  At least in the US. I'm not sure where you are.

squeakers

« Reply #6306 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »

Your reasoning is correct.  Tips refer to: To Insure Proper Service.  At least in the US. I'm not sure where you are.

Tips does not mean to insure proper service.   http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6307 on: December 16, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
ARRRRRRRGH!

What I do is copy the URL address (in the address bar) from the website page that I want to link to and paste it into my reply.

Yeah I'm looking for that space-saving trick of having blue underlined text you can mouse over.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but for the cut and paste, if you're in post/reply mode the URL will not show up blue and underlined. It will be regular type (just as if you bold something, it doesn't show up bold in the posting window. It shows up with the bold code and brackets)

Once you "go live" (hit post) the URL will show up on the thread as blue and underlined.

If you want to double-check the URL that you are posting before actually posting, click on "Preview" then you will see the blue underline and can test your link from there.

What squeakers posted works as well. It's just an additional button to push but you still won't see the blue underline while in "reply" mode. You'll see the code brackets for a URL . . . which is actually unnecessary.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6308 on: December 16, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »

Tips does not mean to insure proper service.   http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

Got there before I could.  :)

As for tips themselves, it would have to be horrible service before I'd not leave a tip... I typically tip 20% at sit-down restaurants.  Servers make less than a third of minimum wage, and while that's not the customer's fault, I doubt there's anyone who's not aware of it at this point.  We can't always afford a tip, but thankfully I really like Whoppers.  :)

Softly Spoken

« Reply #6309 on: December 16, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
ARRRRRRRGH!

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but for the cut and paste, if you're in post/reply mode the URL will not show up blue and underlined. It will be regular type (just as if you bold something, it doesn't show up bold in the posting window. It shows up with the bold code and brackets)

Once you "go live" (hit post) the URL will show up on the thread as blue and underlined.

If you want to double-check the URL that you are posting before actually posting, click on "Preview" then you will see the blue underline and can test your link from there.

What squeakers posted works as well. It's just an additional button to push but you still won't see the blue underline while in "reply" mode. You'll see the code brackets for a URL . . . which is actually unnecessary.
Thank you both for helping me troubleshoot - turns out I was missed the "=" you have to put in along with the actual link. I'll remember from now on. ;D
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Softly Spoken

« Reply #6310 on: December 16, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
I know there are probably some people in the service industry who feel very strongly about the subject of tipping.

As a customer, I have always understood that tipping is expected and appreciated, but not obligatory and certainly not mandatory. Some workers are not allowed to accept tips, others expects them regardless of their actual salary.

IMHO, I don't think you should expect a tip for doing your actual job. I understand the idea of a minimum tip to augment servers being underpaid, and I have no problem being generous - when I go to restaurants I consider my bill payment for the food and not having to cook said food for myself, and then the tip is my payment to the waitperson for waiting on me. I don't know why we tip waitstaff but not the cooks or busboys or any other employees in a restaurant?

If I feel my server has gone above and beyond, I will leave a bigger tip to show I appreciated it - I feel like they "earned" it. Lets face it - any job where you have to deal with people and schlep for them is challenging at best. Workers can be rude, but so can customers.

I will confess I have never left a small tip, or no tip. This is not necessarily because I am nice, I am often just lazy. I don't want to do the math. ;D ::) I've never gotten service that was so bad that I didn't want to tip (maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just really laid back ;)) - if I ever did, I would be speaking to the server and/or manager and giving them a chance to rectify the situation before I decided whether it affected my payment.

I don't really have an ehell worthy stories about a server who lost their tip because of their behavior. Not all dining problems are a server's fault. Maybe the kitchen is to blame. If a server managed to really tick me off, their tip would be the least of their problems - I would complain to their manager and factor it in when deciding to ever spend money at that restaurant in the future.

I think servers today should worry more about their behavior being reported on places like Yelp, than about how much of a tip they were left. Poor service can have farther-reaching consequences, as the "I'm never going there again" thread reminds us.
-William Shakespeare

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6311 on: December 16, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
I know there are probably some people in the service industry who feel very strongly about the subject of tipping.

As a customer, I have always understood that tipping is expected and appreciated, but not obligatory and certainly not mandatory. Some workers are not allowed to accept tips, others expects them regardless of their actual salary.

IMHO, I don't think you should expect a tip for doing your actual job. I understand the idea of a minimum tip to augment servers being underpaid, and I have no problem being generous - when I go to restaurants I consider my bill payment for the food and not having to cook said food for myself, and then the tip is my payment to the waitperson for waiting on me. I don't know why we tip waitstaff but not the cooks or busboys or any other employees in a restaurant?

If I feel my server has gone above and beyond, I will leave a bigger tip to show I appreciated it - I feel like they "earned" it. Lets face it - any job where you have to deal with people and schlep for them is challenging at best. Workers can be rude, but so can customers.

I will confess I have never left a small tip, or no tip. This is not necessarily because I am nice, I am often just lazy. I don't want to do the math. ;D ::) I've never gotten service that was so bad that I didn't want to tip (maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just really laid back ;)) - if I ever did, I would be speaking to the server and/or manager and giving them a chance to rectify the situation before I decided whether it affected my payment.

I don't really have an ehell worthy stories about a server who lost their tip because of their behavior. Not all dining problems are a server's fault. Maybe the kitchen is to blame. If a server managed to really tick me off, their tip would be the least of their problems - I would complain to their manager and factor it in when deciding to ever spend money at that restaurant in the future.

I think servers today should worry more about their behavior being reported on places like Yelp, than about how much of a tip they were left. Poor service can have farther-reaching consequences, as the "I'm never going there again" thread reminds us.

We don't because they all make at least minimum wage; waitstaff make much less than that.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Adelaide

« Reply #6312 on: December 16, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
"As of 2011, the federal minimum wage for wait staff is $2.13 per hour plus tips, and the general federal minimum wage rate is $7.25. If the total of your tips plus your hourly base rate do not equal at least the federal minimum of $7.25 per hour your employer must make up the difference."

eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7968577_minimum-wage-wait-staff.html#ixzz2FGEzX1Np

One of my friends who used to work in the service industry explained that to me. However, she also said that she had to "tip out" the busboy a certain percentage of her tips and (I think) the cook. So basically, she was earning federal minimum wage, plus tips, minus what she had to tip out.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6313 on: December 16, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
How exactly do the NFL playoffs work? What I'm really trying to figure out is the Houston Texans' schedule. They won today so they'll play the wildcard on Jan. 5th, right? Do they have to win that to play on the 20th or do they automatically play on the 20th regardless?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6314 on: December 16, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »
"As of 2011, the federal minimum wage for wait staff is $2.13 per hour plus tips, and the general federal minimum wage rate is $7.25. If the total of your tips plus your hourly base rate do not equal at least the federal minimum of $7.25 per hour your employer must make up the difference."

eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7968577_minimum-wage-wait-staff.html#ixzz2FGEzX1Np

One of my friends who used to work in the service industry explained that to me. However, she also said that she had to "tip out" the busboy a certain percentage of her tips and (I think) the cook. So basically, she was earning federal minimum wage, plus tips, minus what she had to tip out.

Keep in mind, however, that the language above is the federal minimum standard for this. The state I live in has both a higher minimum wage, and does not have a separate minimum wage for wait staff. So the servers that I encounter all earn more than the federal minimum wage before tips. Every state handles the minimum wage and the separate minimum wage for wait staff a little bit differently.