A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1298/1971) > >>

MrsJWine:

--- Quote from: Jones on January 06, 2013, 01:56:38 PM ---How does one go about getting a toddler to sit still for a haircut?

We don't have any barbers/hair salons in town that cater to toddlers or I'd take Boo Bear there and make it their business to figure out.  :P He just needs his side curls cut back a bit, but apparently the trimmer I have tickles.

--- End quote ---

Hah. Haaaaaah.

The best we can do is sitting her on a tarp on a stool in front of a TV, no toys. It's still like whacking an atom with a baseball bat, but at least it's a solid-state atom instead of a gas.

And who are you people whose toddlers will sleep through a haircut? Mine sleep pretty soundly, but there's no way they would stand that. I'd probably get stabbed.

Virg:
Jones wrote:

"How does one go about getting a toddler to sit still for a haircut?"

Tequila.  For both of you.

Honestly, though, this is one of those things where getting him very tired and doing it while he's asleep isn't a bad idea, assuming the trimmer doesn't wake him.  If it does, then get yourself a nice sharp pair of scissors and keep him up late, and as odd as it sounds it works pretty well.  At least it did for my oldest.

Virg

KenveeB:
Is there a way to keep necklaces from eating your hair? I have a few necklaces where something about the type of clasp or chain that snares my hair something awful. It hurts a little to wear, but mostly the chains just look awful with hair all around them. Is there anything I can do short of changing out all the chains?

Outdoor Girl:
Some of the jewelry makers on board may have a better idea but my first thought was to coat the problematic part of the chain with clear nail polish.  It would close over any little catches that are grabbing your hair.

Sheila Take a Bow:

--- Quote from: Jones on January 06, 2013, 01:56:38 PM ---How does one go about getting a toddler to sit still for a haircut?

We don't have any barbers/hair salons in town that cater to toddlers or I'd take Boo Bear there and make it their business to figure out.  :P He just needs his side curls cut back a bit, but apparently the trimmer I have tickles.

--- End quote ---

Two ideas:

1.  Videos.  Put on a video he doesn't know but that you're sure he'll love.  When you're a few minutes in and he's mesmerized, start cutting.

2.  Bribery.  If he can sit still while you count to five (or even better, ten), give him an M&M or some other very small treat.  You'll have to cut his hair in 5- or 10-second bursts, but it's better than constant squirming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version