Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1002514 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6495 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »
Please don't read if you're squeamish about snakes...

There's a snake trapped in the office in my house.  I have NO clue how to trap/pick up/kick out a snake.  It's a harmless non-venomous little garden snake.  I hate snakes, but I'm not afraid of it.  I just have no clue how to go about getting it out of my parents' office.

Reply in white for similar reasons:

Professionals have a long stick with a loop on it, similar to what animal control uses for dogs.  If you can't jury-rig something like that, the next best thing is to get something long and stiff like a serving spoon or a stick.  Press down on the snake's neck right behind its head, pinning the head to the ground.  Since it's hard to get the right spot on the first try, I suggest finding two serving spoons so you can pin it wherever you can reach and then work your way up as necessary  :)  Once you have it pinned right behind the head, you can pick it up right behind the stick/spoon and the snake can't bite you.  Garter snakes will still pee on you (well, spray a smelly chemical to scare off predators).  If you can't carry it straight outside, you can put it in a bag (anything with a drawstring top and not made out of mesh) - the snake can't get any leverage to get out, and being in the dark inside the bag will calm it down long enough for you to transport it.  You kind of have to keep the bag suspended (held), though, so don't go putting it on the floor of your car or anything!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6496 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
Please don't read if you're squeamish about snakes...

There's a snake trapped in the office in my house.  I have NO clue how to trap/pick up/kick out a snake.  It's a harmless non-venomous little garden snake.  I hate snakes, but I'm not afraid of it.  I just have no clue how to go about getting it out of my parents' office.

Put a small heating pad, on low, underneath a box on it's side. Make the room very cool (open a window if it's cold outside - shut the door if you have to keep the rest of the place from freezing). Leave. Come back in about an hour, snake should be in box. Take outside, away from house, look for bushes, empty box.

mmswm

« Reply #6497 on: January 07, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
I will try the heating pad under the box thing first.  I can't figure out a way to rig a snake handler's tool, though I'll keep searching through the tools in the garage and see if I can't find something.  My parents live on the edge of the Everglades, so I'm quite thankful this is a harmless little critter instead of any number of other things that aren't so harmless that could have found their way inside.  I really don't want to have to call out a professional, but I don't want to hurt it either.  Though, if I didn't mind if it got hurt and wouldn't mind the mess, I'd lock a cat or three in there and let nature take its course.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6498 on: January 07, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
Re: snake.  Double and triple check variety before attempting.

You can take a broom handle, wiggle it in front on their face, near the ground and when you have their attention, grab their tail end, pick them gently off the ground and put broom handle about the halfway point of their body.  Walk out, lower snake.

I just pick them up thumb behind the head, index finger under the jaw and use my other hand to gently pick up their bottom half.  Then again, I'm not snake squeamish in the least.

If I were closer, I 'd happily come over for snake relocation.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6499 on: January 08, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
Re: snake.  Double and triple check variety before attempting.

You can take a broom handle, wiggle it in front on their face, near the ground and when you have their attention, grab their tail end, pick them gently off the ground and put broom handle about the halfway point of their body.  Walk out, lower snake.

I just pick them up thumb behind the head, index finger under the jaw and use my other hand to gently pick up their bottom half.  Then again, I'm not snake squeamish in the least.

If I were closer, I 'd happily come over for snake relocation.   ;)

That's what I would do if it were a non-venomous snake.  We had to catch the snakes in our garden and relocate them for my mom when we were kids and that's pretty much how we did it.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #6500 on: January 08, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
Re-The Snake

Take a plastic soda bottle and rinse it out thoroughly.  Cut the top part off, like you're making a funnel, then turn it around and re-tape it onto the bottle so that the end where the cap would go is now inside.  Knowing what kind of snake it is, toss in something it likes to eat (perhaps a frozen/thawed pinky mouse, or some freeze-dried crickets.)  (the term "garden snake" is pretty all-encompassing so I'm not sure specifically what kind of snake you mean)

Set the bottle trap around where you saw the snake last, you'll probably have better luck around the outside edges of the room.  Then just leave it alone.  Check it once or twice a day and change out the bait regularly.

I've been keeping corn snakes for years as pets and they are very Houdini-like in their ability to escape.  A bottle trap is usually the first method anyone suggests for catching an escapee.  They get in, eat the bait, then either can't figure their way out again or are too full and lazy to try.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

mmswm

« Reply #6501 on: January 08, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
Well, I've tried the heating pad and box thing.  The snake got into the box, but there's a reason these little boogers are called "little black racers".  Those suckers are fast.  It will cost $200 to get a pest removal company out here, and they would have to destroy the snake if they come out.  One of the companies advised a different method, which will kill it, but at this point, it's probably going to die anyway, since I'm having no luck capturing it on my own.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

perpetua

« Reply #6502 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
In the UK in this situation you would call the RSPCA and they would come out and humanely trap the snake then take it somewhere to release. Do you not have anything like that in the US? (assuming this is where you are)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #6503 on: January 08, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
In the UK in this situation you would call the RSPCA and they would come out and humanely trap the snake then take it somewhere to release. Do you not have anything like that in the US? (assuming this is where you are)

As far as I know, the ASPCA will capture and release wild animals. Perhaps you could call them, mmswm.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6504 on: January 08, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
You need Billy the Exterminator!  :)

mmswm

« Reply #6505 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »

As far as I know, the ASPCA will capture and release wild animals. Perhaps you could call them, mmswm.

I've called every number I can find that deals with wildlife.  The cost to bring any of them out is prohibitive.  Apparently, there's some sort of county law regarding nuisance wildlife that requires them to be destroyed anyway.  Trust me, I've tried to trap this little sucker humanely, but he's resisting with all his might.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6506 on: January 08, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
Heating pad under the soda-bottle trap?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

mmswm

« Reply #6507 on: January 08, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »
I did the heating pad under a small box.  The snake got in it, but when I tried to move towards it to put something over it and remove it from the house it shot out and hid behind a bunch of books.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #6508 on: January 08, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
The idea behind the bottle is that they'll find it more difficult to exit. It seems like a good idea, depending on whether or not you've got a few crickets or feeder mice hanging out in your freezer :)
Utah

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6509 on: January 08, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
But how would you get the snake out of the bottle once you got it outside?