A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1323/2486) > >>

snowfire:

--- Quote from: GreenHall on January 21, 2013, 02:27:38 PM ---  Recently, the neighbors cat ALSO figured out the doggy door, and not only harasses my cat and ears her foods, but also 'lays claim' to anything that's around.  So in the morning my cat now has the option of being in all day or being out all day...

--- End quote ---

You might try one of the pet doors with an electromagnetic latch.  Kitty wears a small magnet on her collar and that releases the latch on the door.  Non-magnet-wearing kitty (& stray wildlife) can't get in.  Or you can totally geek out and set up a computer controlled pet flap with a digital camera...There used to be a website about a guy who did that to keep out neighbors cats, possums, raccoons, and cats bearing "gifts".  Can't find it now, though.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: snowfire on January 21, 2013, 05:50:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: GreenHall on January 21, 2013, 02:27:38 PM ---  Recently, the neighbors cat ALSO figured out the doggy door, and not only harasses my cat and ears her foods, but also 'lays claim' to anything that's around.  So in the morning my cat now has the option of being in all day or being out all day...

--- End quote ---

You might try one of the pet doors with an electromagnetic latch.  Kitty wears a small magnet on her collar and that releases the latch on the door.  Non-magnet-wearing kitty (& stray wildlife) can't get in.  Or you can totally geek out and set up a computer controlled pet flap with a digital camera...There used to be a website about a guy who did that to keep out neighbors cats, possums, raccoons, and cats bearing "gifts".  Can't find it now, though.

--- End quote ---

Until said kitty gets in the sink and winds up taking one of your spoons outside...

GreenHall:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
r

...Ren worked out that the break away collar was easy to get off,  she tajes it off anytime I put it on (okay thats rare since the week she proved I can't make her keep it on). She is microchipped.  We found one of our old cats half hung with a non break away collar, so I won't do that.  Pet shop said they could sell me another/different break away collar, but she would still take it off, most likely...

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: GreenHall on January 21, 2013, 06:17:40 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
r

...Ren worked out that the break away collar was easy to get off,  she tajes it off anytime I put it on (okay thats rare since the week she proved I can't make her keep it on). She is microchipped.  We found one of our old cats half hung with a non break away collar, so I won't do that.  Pet shop said they could sell me another/different break away collar, but she would still take it off, most likely...

--- End quote ---

I wonder if there isn't some way to make an electronic lock work with the chip...

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on January 21, 2013, 01:21:42 PM ---How does one "shop" for a financial adviser?  I always thought I could save without help, but I could really use some help in figuring out how to budget things.  How can you tell a good one from a bad one?  What are important things for which to look?

--- End quote ---
I got mine on recommendation of our lawyer - after settling Mom's Estate. (Note our lawyer was Dad's childhood friend I grew up calling him Uncle, so I've known him over 40 years). I admit is the old neighborhood network. The adviser is the son of a man that Dad and lawyer grew up with.

Also he deferred to Sis and Me not BIL at our first meeting. He explained to Sis and BIL details about keeping Sis inheritance separate from their mutual money. (Basically Older Niece's Mom tried to come after the inheritance. The lunitic was convinced our parents were multi-millonaires because we grew up in Memorial. In a 1970's ranch house bought just before the area became the want to be River Oaks.)

His answers always matched things I knew to be correct. Also one of my cousins does a good deal of investing - I've run things by him and everything has always been up and up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version