A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1323/1847) > >>

Amava:

--- Quote from: Betelnut on January 21, 2013, 08:33:58 AM ---New topic:

Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.

Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?

(16 degrees DOES seem awful cold!)

--- End quote ---

Hmmm I think that's hard to tell without knowing how much heat from the house goes into the garage or how well-insulated your garage is.
If you're in doubt, I'd say "better safe than sorry". It's one twelve-pack. Bringing it in takes a minute. Cleaning your car trunk if they explode? A sticky and long-winded adventure.

RebeccainGA:

--- Quote from: Amava on January 21, 2013, 09:10:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Betelnut on January 21, 2013, 08:33:58 AM ---New topic:

Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.

Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?

(16 degrees DOES seem awful cold!)

--- End quote ---

Hmmm I think that's hard to tell without knowing how much heat from the house goes into the garage or how well-insulated your garage is.
If you're in doubt, I'd say "better safe than sorry". It's one twelve-pack. Bringing it in takes a minute. Cleaning your car trunk if they explode? A sticky and long-winded adventure.

--- End quote ---

I can tell you, from personal experience, that it has to get pretty darn cold for them to burst. I leave 12 packs in my car, and take a couple with me every day to work. I've got too long a walk to take the whole case in to the office at once. I've had them in the interior of the car when it was down to 25 degrees out, and in the trunk to about that too, with no casualties. The cardboard case insulates them, as does the car, so adding another layer of insulation (the garage) they should be fine and dandy. I kind of like that they're almost refrigerated cold too! LOL

GreenHall:
This completely seem like a stupid question, but I can't decide if it's stupid because 'of course' or 'NO!'

Can I just scoop from the cat pan into the toilet (that is right next to it, and has been for a year. And this is the first time this has occurred to me)?

I use Feline Pine litter (compressed sawdust pellets).

I have a septic tank (not sewer)

If the answer is 'no', anyone have advice for keeping the poo from stinking until garbage day? 1) I have an over active gag trigger 2) Florida is having a rather warm winter, and the rest of the year is warm anyway...anywhere I put the little bags, it stews and marinates, and the smell expands to fill all available space....

Eta septic info

Virg:
Betelnut wrote:

"Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.  Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?"

The car itself will provide no thermal protection overnight unless it's running, but most garages will stay above freezing even if the weather drops well below unless it's detached and unheated or you leave the door open.   You have to freeze a soda can pretty hard before it'll expand enough to burst (most freezers go to zero and even then most of the time a can in the freezer won't leak, it'll just deform), so I can't see it being an issue.

On the plus side, they'll be nice and chilled when you want to drink them.

Virg

Snooks:

--- Quote from: GreenHall on January 21, 2013, 10:36:08 AM ---This completely seem like a stupid question, but I can't decide if it's stupid because 'of course' or 'NO!'

Can I just scoop from the cat pan into the toilet (that is right next to it, and has been for a year. And this is the first time this has occurred to me)?

I use Feline Pine litter (compressed sawdust pellets).

If the answer is 'no', anyone have advice for keeping the poo from stinking until garbage day? 1) I have an over active gag trigger 2) Florida is having a rather warm winter, and the rest of the year is warm anyway...anywhere I put the little bags, it stews and marinates, and the smell expands to fill all available space....

--- End quote ---

Normally if you check the litter it will tell you, failing that you could invest in one of these - http://www.catgenie.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version