A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1338/1938) > >>

mmswm:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on January 28, 2013, 01:48:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Virg on January 28, 2013, 11:27:55 AM ---mmswm has the best answer.  Several thousand dollars in fines will get them to take you off their list, and if that doesn't work then whoever's paying her to call can go sit in a jail cell.

Virg

--- End quote ---

If only Do Not Call worked!

I reported one company several times, keeping a log. Then I noticed that it was changing the phone number every few days to avoid the fines. I know it was the same because it was always Angela or Michelle with an important message about our credit card debt, which we haven't had for over 20 years, and then it was paid off in 2 months.

Now, I just don't answer any number I don't know, or at least flick the disconnect on my phone.

I've almost completely given up. One call, we mention we are on the Do Not Call and report, after that, we don't answer.

--- End quote ---

That actually falls under the Fair Debt Collection laws.  People have successfully sued, and won, even against collectors with legitimate debts for harassing debt collection practices.  It's rarely easy to do, because debt collectors rely on the fact that the debtors are scared, but it can be done. 

Luci:

--- Quote from: mmswm on January 28, 2013, 02:40:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Virg on January 28, 2013, 11:27:55 AM ---mmswm has the best answer.  Several thousand dollars in fines will get them to take you off their list, and if that doesn't work then whoever's paying her to call can go sit in a jail cell.

Virg

--- End quote ---

I reported one company several times, keeping a log. Then I noticed that it was changing the phone number every few days to avoid the fines. I know it was the same because it was always Angela or Michelle with an important message about our credit card debt, which we haven't had for over 20 years, and then it was paid off in 2 months.

Now, I just don't answer any number I don't know, or at least flick the disconnect on my phone.

I've almost completely given up. One call, we mention we are on the Do Not Call and report, after that, we don't answer.

--- End quote ---

That actually falls under the Fair Debt Collection laws.  People have successfully sued, and won, even against collectors with legitimate debts for harassing debt collection practices.  It's rarely easy to do, because debt collectors rely on the fact that the debtors are scared, but it can be done.

--- End quote ---

I think you are missing my point. These are for a smarmy company that can lower our debt (which we don't have) through partly shady means. Our house is paid off and we have bought our cars with cash for the past 20 years. We owe nothing, to anyone. (And our credit score is only 799 - I know why.)

How Fair Debt Collection apply to us?

It's just a random company that has out phone #.

mmswm:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on January 28, 2013, 05:23:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: mmswm on January 28, 2013, 02:40:45 PM ---

Virg

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I think you are missing my point. These are for a smarmy company that can lower our debt (which we don't have) through partly shady means. Our house is paid off and we have bought our cars with cash for the past 20 years. We owe nothing, to anyone. (And our credit score is only 799 - I know why.)

How Fair Debt Collection apply to us?

It's just a random company that has out phone #.

--- End quote ---

You are correct.  I misunderstood.  I thought you were saying they were calling to collect on an imaginary debt.  You'd be surprised how shady debt collectors can be.  I've seen people get caught up in sweeps where collection agencies report a debt on the credit reports of all "Tom Smiths" they find in City X.  My thought was that you'd been caught up in something like that.

JoW:
How you block a call depends on which carrier you use and which handset you have.  One technique that works on all phones is to put the number in your contacts list and assign it the ring tone "no ring".  That won't stop the calls but it will make them easier to ignore.

For a scammer the Do Not Call List law is one more law to break.  If you want to know more about a call that is harassing you look it up at http://800notes.com.  I post there under the name "not Michael".  I found the site when googled a number that was harassing me looking for Michael.  I discovered that the caller was an automobile finance company.  Michael bought a car he didn't plan to pay for and gave the finance company a false phone number - my cell number.  I used that information to discuss the situation with the caller and order them to stop calling.  It worked. 

Sign Of The Times:
I have a question about wedding etiquette. Does it go on this forum or the Hells Bells one? (Or do I do the thread both places?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version