Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 849343 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6720 on: February 02, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
After, and I took that for granted until two minutes ago. But now that I think about it, the reasoning seems to have nothing to do with what would work best. It's just that people say "brush and floss your teeth," which implies that brushing goes first.
And does anyone here put on their shoes and socks in that order?  >:D

I've never heard that order...I've always heard, "Put on your socks and shoes."

There was a hilarious scene in the old 'All in the Family' TV show.  Archie and Mike are having an argument on this very topic.  Archie maintains that the proper order is a 'sock and a sock then a shoe and a shoe' while Mike is in the 'sock and a shoe then a sock and a shoe' camp. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6721 on: February 02, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »
After, and I took that for granted until two minutes ago. But now that I think about it, the reasoning seems to have nothing to do with what would work best. It's just that people say "brush and floss your teeth," which implies that brushing goes first.
And does anyone here put on their shoes and socks in that order?  >:D

I've never heard that order...I've always heard, "Put on your socks and shoes."

There was a hilarious scene in the old 'All in the Family' TV show.  Archie and Mike are having an argument on this very topic.  Archie maintains that the proper order is a 'sock and a sock then a shoe and a shoe' while Mike is in the 'sock and a shoe then a sock and a shoe' camp.

I'm firmly in a" put on a sock and put on a shoe, put on the other sock and the other shoe" camp.  I find it more efficient. 

I'm also a floss before you brush person.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

emwithme

« Reply #6722 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Now I'm even more confused! 

I think I shall have a mini-brush before, to dislodge any big particles, then floss, then proper brush afterwards - until I can make an appointment with my dentist, and I shall ask her then. 

Redsoil

« Reply #6723 on: February 03, 2013, 07:29:07 AM »
The brushing and flossing is an easy one!

Brush first, then floss, THEN swish thoroughly with mouthwash!  :)

...and as for socks/shoes, I'm a sock/sock/shoe/shoe person. 

Quite possibly, someone could make a rap version of that!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6724 on: February 03, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »

Not that easy - my dentist, as well as those of several other posters, have recommended flossing first, then brushing. I am just about to search for some technical literature on the subject, as it is starting to bug me.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6725 on: February 03, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »

Not that easy - my dentist, as well as those of several other posters, have recommended flossing first, then brushing. I am just about to search for some technical literature on the subject, as it is starting to bug me.

I just looked online - I can't believe I didn't do it before.

Both the American Dental Association and Askadentist.com say it doesn't matter!

(I said before to floss the brush to get the flouride in between the teeth.)

wheeitsme

« Reply #6726 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
It depends on the mouthwash.

I have one that is supposed to be used before (it loosens gunk), and one that is supposed to be used after (it kills germs n stuff).

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6727 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
Am I shaving my armpits wrong?  Is there something I'm missing?  It never looks like I shaved, more like it's been a day or two.  I can never get that smooth, hairless look.  Am I doing something wrong or is it just my skin/hair pigment?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6728 on: February 04, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
I think it might depend on your hair/skin pigment.  If your hair is dark and your skin is very pale, even if the hair is cut a short as it can be, you'll still see it.  If your pits are quite concave, it is hard to get a close shave.

When I shave my pits, I shave down, then up, then sideways to the left then sideways to the right.  In other words, in all four directions.  I find it gives me the closest shave.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6729 on: February 04, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
Am I shaving my armpits wrong?  Is there something I'm missing?  It never looks like I shaved, more like it's been a day or two.  I can never get that smooth, hairless look.  Am I doing something wrong or is it just my skin/hair pigment?

The tip I got was to shave in all 4 directions, since the hair grows in different directions. It works pretty well, but doesn't look completely perfect. I think perfection requires waxing.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6730 on: February 04, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Dark hair and pale skin makes you a really good candidate for laser treatment, too, for hair removal.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6731 on: February 04, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
Dark hair and pale skin makes you a really good candidate for laser treatment, too, for hair removal.

I've had laser hair removal elsewhere...and I love it!  The results are outstanding.  I guess if I want that smooth look I'll have to save for more.

I shave in all four directions, so I guess it must be my skin/hair.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6732 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
I was watching one of the commercials that show a person depositing a check by taking a picture of it with their phone.

How do the banks prevent multiple people depositing it into different bank accounts at different banking institutions? I know eventually it would get caught but it seems like it is really open to fraud.

I get that if I write a check on my bank account at Bank A and it is deposited into another account at Bank A, that Bank A would be able to immediately take the funds out of my account and would have the check info to make sure no one else was able to try and deposit it into an account at Bank A.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6733 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
Brush to get the major stuff. Then floss to get the bits your brush couldn't reach. Then rinse with mouthwash to flush it all away.

This is how I do it.  When I get my teeth cleaned at the dentist's office, flossing is the last thing the hygienist does, then she has me rinse.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6734 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
I was watching one of the commercials that show a person depositing a check by taking a picture of it with their phone.

How do the banks prevent multiple people depositing it into different bank accounts at different banking institutions? I know eventually it would get caught but it seems like it is really open to fraud.

I get that if I write a check on my bank account at Bank A and it is deposited into another account at Bank A, that Bank A would be able to immediately take the funds out of my account and would have the check info to make sure no one else was able to try and deposit it into an account at Bank A.

It's been my experience that deposits through my banking app show as pending for a day or two before they release the funds to me.  That time was long enough for my bank to communicate with the other bank, make sure that there were funds available, and make sure that the check hadn't already been cashed.