A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1363/2462) > >>

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on February 12, 2013, 11:05:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: LadyJaneinMD on February 12, 2013, 10:30:28 AM ---I always kept a slip of paper in my wallet with the passwords on it.   It's very safe.  The paper doesn't say anything about what the strange list of numbers and letters are - it's just a small list. 
Yeah, someone could try them on everything over and over, but that's work. 

For valuables...for a short time, I kept a pile of cash in my apartment, and one of my friends suggested that I double-bag it in ziploc baggies, and bury it at the bottom of the litter box.  We called it the Bank of [cat's name].    I also keep valuables buried in my fabric 'wall'.   You'd have to pull every piece out to find the money, and yes, there is a LOT of fabric - hence the name Fabric Wall.

--- End quote ---

I don't think that list is very safe at all, if it was an odd string of letters and numbers I would guess it a password/code very quickly; but to each his own.

--- End quote ---
I keep my various PINs and account numbers in my cellphone, disguised as phone numbers.  *I* know that "Aunt Mary" at 444-427-1234 isn't a real phone number, since I don't have an Aunt Mary, but a stranger who steals my phone/wallet won't know that.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on February 12, 2013, 12:11:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: LadyJaneinMD on February 12, 2013, 10:30:28 AM ---I always kept a slip of paper in my wallet with the passwords on it.   It's very safe.  The paper doesn't say anything about what the strange list of numbers and letters are - it's just a small list. 

For valuables...for a short time, I kept a pile of cash in my apartment, and one of my friends suggested that I double-bag it in ziploc baggies, and bury it at the bottom of the litter box.  We called it the Bank of [cat's name].    I also keep valuables buried in my fabric 'wall'.   You'd have to pull every piece out to find the money, and yes, there is a LOT of fabric - hence the name Fabric Wall.

--- End quote ---

I don't think that list is very safe at all, if it was an odd string of letters and numbers I would guess it a password/code very quickly; but to each his own.

--- End quote ---
I keep my various PINs and account numbers in my cellphone, disguised as phone numbers.  *I* know that "Aunt Mary" at 444-427-1234 isn't a real phone number, since I don't have an Aunt Mary, but a stranger who steals my phone/wallet won't know that.

--- End quote ---

Right, but that's not written on a piece of paper in a wallet alongside other such strings.

If LadyJaneinMD feels safe with it, that's fine; I just wouldn't.

Virg:
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"I have a hard time remembering my PIN number for all my various cards.  And some of them can't be changed.  I ended up inputing them into my cell to make them look like local phone numbers and used a name that would remind me what those numbers are.  So if I used Acme Bank, the name in my phone would be Amy B, as a made up example."

Just write it on the card.  The trick is to slide it such that the number on the card is not your actual PIN but it's easy to figure out, like adding two to each digit or something more complex like subtracting your birth month from the first two digits and your birth day from the last two.  Another advantage to this is that, if someone finds the card and tries the PIN, they'll be using the wrong PIN and the card will get captured.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on February 12, 2013, 12:11:58 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I was coming here to suggest that very thing.  I actually did that once. A cell phone is a marvelous place to store data like that.  :D

Mental Magpie:
What is my eye shape?  One person told me deep set and another told me hooded.  I'm trying to figure out how to best apply eye shadow because every time I do it I look atrocious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version