A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1363/1949) > >>

GreenHall:
So based on the number of bounce backs in my in-box, plus my copy for each of my email addresses, because I'm in my address book, I think one of my yahoo accounts sent out a spam today.   I was able to get into my account, so it's not completely hijacked. 

Is there anything I need to do? Should I change my password?

Email seemed to be a link, that I was not willing to try, even with my cat killing curiousity level.  I guess I should be happy I'm not destitute in a foreign country, or needing emergency medical care (as seen in the scam thread...)

JoW:
Definately change your password.  Make it very complicated.  Make it so complicated you have to write it on scrap paper and hide it under your monitor.  If you are feeling ambitious change the passwords for all of your accounts. 

WillyNilly:

--- Quote from: jpcher on February 10, 2013, 03:52:17 PM ---Okay, stupid question regarding the Messiah/Hallelujah chorus and standing -- why do people stand up? What is the reasoning behind the protocol?

This question can be applied to the (US) national anthem . . . or the recitation of the pledge to the flag.

Is standing up more respectful? Why?

--- End quote ---

During Hellelujah - because supposedly the first time King George heard it performed he stood.  No one knows why though - some say its because its about Christ so it was out of respect, while some say its because he thought it was intermission and he had to pee, but either way, when the King stands, everyone stands.  And so it became a tradition to stand.  Prior to that story though, no one stood.

As for the anthem or pledge, I think its just a respect thing, much like standing to greet someone, or standing attention, etc - its just more formal to stand.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: JoW on February 10, 2013, 05:32:33 PM ---Definately change your password.  Make it very complicated.  Make it so complicated you have to write it on scrap paper and hide it under your monitor.  If you are feeling ambitious change the passwords for all of your accounts.

--- End quote ---

Do not write it down and store it under your monitor; that's a good way for it to get hacked if anyone breaks into your house.

One of the best ways to create a complicated password is to choose a phrase and make it a password.

"Sally saw seashells by the seashore" could be "Sscsbtsc"; substitute phonetic spellings to make it more complicated (like I did the the Cs) or numbers if you can remember the connection.

Yes, definitely change your passwords.

Luci:
We have about 8 different passwords, then we hear the advice not to use the same one for everything, and sometimes a password won't be accepted because it doesn't meet the criteria the site has set up. I have 53 passworded accounts - credit cards, teachers' union, financial institutions, magazines, etc. No way could I remember which goes with which.

I have a method to print them on a spreadsheet with the numbers coded, and I want my kids to be sure to be able to get into my accounts when the time comes.

I know there is a program called Onepassword, but I don't know if I can trust it.

How do others keep track of all this stuff?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version