A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1391/2497) > >>

lilfox:

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on February 27, 2013, 05:15:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dazi on February 27, 2013, 05:09:32 PM ---I keep seeing these curling irons that have no clip on them to anchor and twirl your hair.  They are just the rod.  I don't use a curling iron, but I'm perplexed as to how to actually use this type curling iron.  How do you anchor the hair to keep it from coming off the rod???

--- End quote ---

You just hold it. A curling iron should only be used for a few seconds, no real need to anchor the hair.

--- End quote ---

Holding the ends of the hair out also prevent you from frying the ends against the barrel too, something I am always doing with my clamping iron.

mmswm:

--- Quote from: lilfox on February 27, 2013, 07:58:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dazi on February 27, 2013, 05:09:32 PM ---I keep seeing these curling irons that have no clip on them to anchor and twirl your hair.  They are just the rod.  I don't use a curling iron, but I'm perplexed as to how to actually use this type curling iron.  How do you anchor the hair to keep it from coming off the rod???

--- End quote ---

You just hold it. A curling iron should only be used for a few seconds, no real need to anchor the hair.

--- End quote ---

Holding the ends of the hair out also prevent you from frying the ends against the barrel too, something I am always doing with my clamping iron.

--- End quote ---

Though it's not fool-proof, as this video illustrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqKKGHdDus

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: mmswm on February 27, 2013, 08:30:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: lilfox on February 27, 2013, 07:58:13 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Though it's not fool-proof, as this video illustrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqKKGHdDus

--- End quote ---

I saw that just the other day. You hve to wonder how hot she had it and how damaged we hair already was.

Iris:

--- Quote from: EmmaJ. on February 27, 2013, 07:38:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: Iris on February 26, 2013, 11:52:40 PM ---<snip>
I'm sure I looked equally strange last week when the day after a dear family friend died I got out of bed, put on my exercise clothes, set up my treadmill and dvd, started the treadmill and then just stood there with my feet on the edge. Eventually I stopped the treadmill and just stood on the treadmill for a while, staring into space. I was trying to live as normal but when it came to the crunch I was just too sad to do anything.

--- End quote ---

I'm so sorry.  Big hugs to you.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I'm doing much better now but the story did make me think that I would have looked just as strange as the man in the OP.

Carotte:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on February 27, 2013, 08:45:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ereine on February 27, 2013, 02:45:17 AM ---How small are the pools where people don't expect to share lanes? The largest pool at the place I go to has maybe ten lanes and I'm trying to imagine the riot that would ensue if people were told that they had to wait for their turn. There's another pool there that's used for swimming laps but it has even less lanes and the place has something like a thousand visitors a day (though not everyone swims laps, of course). Fortunately the large pool is 50 m long and the lanes are wide enough that passing isn't a problem. I go there every week and I haven't seen any problems.

--- End quote ---

Where does Carrotte live?

--- End quote ---

This one was in Paris, so big capital (well the city does have a good 15 or so pools). A bit on the small side, 2 lanes for lap swimmers and 2 were open for the kids. There was at least 6 to 8 swimmers per lane at all time (I left because it got too crowded with 11 people in a 25m lane), and it was 4pm ( a slow time-slot then, I've been there at 11am/1pm and it's even more crowded.).
When I'm in a near suburb there's always 10 to 12 people per lane ( 4 lanes for lap swimmers, plus 2 'open' for the others)

There was no way you could spend more than 5 minutes and not realise that you share lane (or you would have done the smart thing like another poster said and ask someone). I think the weirdest thing is that he never looked afraid, or anxious, apprehensive of the water.  Didn't seem to gather up courage.. He just looked like someone who would sit on a bench in a parc because he's 10 minutes early.
Maybe it's just that for me, going to the trouble of going to the pool, putting on a suit and all is boggling. (me, lazy? noooo..)
But who knows, I don't read minds and cannot say what he was thinking, just an odd occurence in my day I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version