A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1391/1972) > >>

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: twiggy on February 24, 2013, 01:14:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on February 23, 2013, 10:28:24 PM ---I cook with Marsala all the time.

No, not all the alcohol cooks out of the wine.
The flavor is heavily dependent on the wine.
I usually get three to four recipes out of one bottle.
Marsala is fortified, and lasts just fine as long as the lid or cork is secured between uses.

--- End quote ---

really? Now I'm very sad. No more chicken marsala for Twiggyy :'( :'(  :'(

--- End quote ---

As far as I know, the stuff you buy pre-made (I find mine in the frozen food section) has all of the alcohol cooked out of it.

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Snooks on February 24, 2013, 01:52:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: kherbert05 on February 24, 2013, 09:31:12 AM ---My district tech department has a hashtag so we can see each other's tweets about things we have done in the classroom. Some schools have hashtagas and a tv set to display things happening at the school.

--- End quote ---

This backfired pretty impressively for Starbucks.  They encouraged people to use the hashtag #SpreadTheCheer the tweets were then displayed on a giant screen at the Natural History Museum ice rink in London.  Problem was it was an automated system and Starbucks were (are) in the middle of a tax scandal in the UK. Examples/full story here.

--- End quote ---
I could see this happening especially with the secondary schools. They had a problem with another group using the same hash tag not to harm the school - but because it also fit their business so our district added 2 letters to the hashtag.

Not my place so I kept my mouth shut about the possible problems.

magicdomino:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on February 24, 2013, 02:44:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: twiggy on February 24, 2013, 01:14:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on February 23, 2013, 10:28:24 PM ---I cook with Marsala all the time.

No, not all the alcohol cooks out of the wine.
The flavor is heavily dependent on the wine.
I usually get three to four recipes out of one bottle.
Marsala is fortified, and lasts just fine as long as the lid or cork is secured between uses.

--- End quote ---

really? Now I'm very sad. No more chicken marsala for Twiggyy :'( :'(  :'(

--- End quote ---

As far as I know, the stuff you buy pre-made (I find mine in the frozen food section) has all of the alcohol cooked out of it.

--- End quote ---

I suspect the commercial version of chicken Marsala (which would also include chain restaurants) uses a low (or no) alcohol concentrate rather than real wine.  But yes, if someone has either an alcohol allergy or alcoholism, it's better to skip the booze.  The longer the dish cooks, the less alcohol will remain -- spaghetti sauce cooked for hours may be alcohol-free versus cherries Jubilee which almost qualifies for a cocktail -- but you can't be sure without testing.

kherbert05:
I'm watching Sea Patrol on Hulu Plus.

Does the Australian Navy really have a gap year program where kids between HS and University work on their boats for 1 year?

Iris:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on February 25, 2013, 10:17:43 PM ---I'm watching Sea Patrol on Hulu Plus.

Does the Australian Navy really have a gap year program where kids between HS and University work on their boats for 1 year?

--- End quote ---

According to the ADF site there was a gap year program (who knew?) but it was closed after the last Federal Budget.

Whether the gap year participants actually got to work on boats I don't know. If they did, I'm sure it was largely grunt work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version