A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1402/2497) > >>

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Carotte on March 12, 2013, 10:10:33 AM ---What was special about yesterday, in the US, that tv shows like Bones or How I met Your Mother didn't air/had an episode?
I can usualy catch them a few hours after they are broadcasted, and often there are those days where there's nothing new to watch and I have no idea why (because I'm in europe).

--- End quote ---
Feb Sweeps are over - they will be saving new episodes for May Sweeps then the season will be over for broadcast networks. Cable networks don't do the sweeps thing as much and tend to have 2 1/2 seasons. You will see some shows mentioned having season 4 and season 4.5. Cable networks tend to air new episodes in blocks during times the broadcast networks are airing repeats.

Sweeps - a time when ratings are measured to set advertising rates. There are those here in the industry that can explain this better.

Spring Break - At least were I am many of the districts and private schools are out for the week and many families are on vacation.  Spring Break season tends to run from First full week in March until Easter/end of March.  Used to go into April but now April tends to be the season of THE TEST - when states give their big high stakes test.

In Texas will give our first test the week after Easter. 4th grade writing (2 days) because that take a long time to grade, and 5th grade Reading and Math because they have to pass it to go to the 6th grade. They get three chances 2 in the school year and 1 during the summer. (I teach elementary so can't recall tests for the upper grades off the top of my head but some of them will be testing that week also).

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Virg on March 12, 2013, 10:19:11 AM ---Dianne AKA Traska wrote:

"Easy answer:
Control key?  PC
Command key?  Mac"

This struck me as odd, because the way I've always specified is, Apple logo on the machine, it's a Mac.  No Apple logo, It's a PC.

Virg

--- End quote ---
But now you have things like my Chromebook - though according to this rule it would be a windows machine because it has a control key. BTW I love my Chromebook.

stitchygreyanonymouse:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on March 12, 2013, 10:36:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Virg on March 12, 2013, 10:19:11 AM ---Dianne AKA Traska wrote:

"Easy answer:
Control key?  PC
Command key?  Mac"

This struck me as odd, because the way I've always specified is, Apple logo on the machine, it's a Mac.  No Apple logo, It's a PC.

Virg

--- End quote ---
But now you have things like my Chromebook - though according to this rule it would be a windows machine because it has a control key. BTW I love my Chromebook.

--- End quote ---

Virgís a little off, because now that Macs are Intel-based, you get "hackintoshes" like my SOís where they build what is essentially a PC, but runs OSX natively. Itís just not manufactured by Apple. Although one could argue that itís not a Mac in that case, and I guess I agree.

PC ≠ Windows, since PCs can also run Chromium OS (Google), Linux, etc. (Although said hackintoshes require specific hardwareónot all PCs will work)

And Chromebooks are their own thing (thus the differentiation between Chrome OS and Chromium OS), but since the OS is based on Linux, it uses Windows-like key mapping, thus the control key instead of command.

Then you get people like me, who dual boot their Apple computers (MacBook, in my case), so that their Windows computer has a command key (which functions like the Windows-logo key on a native Windows machine). That really bothers me thoughÖ Iím forever trying the wrong keyboard shortcut combinations since 96% of my computing is done in OSX.

Virg:
stitchygreyanonymouse wrote:

"Virgís a little off, because now that Macs are Intel-based, you get "hackintoshes" like my SOís where they build what is essentially a PC, but runs OSX natively. Itís just not manufactured by Apple. Although one could argue that itís not a Mac in that case, and I guess I agree."

That's it exactly.  A computer isn't a Macintosh just because it runs OSX, because that's a brand name for Apple's line of computers.  As for Frankentoshes, I figure anyone who's savvy enough to build a PC-based machine that can run OSX will know what they're running without resorting to looking over the keyboard or case.

Also, not every PC runs Windows.  A Chromebook running Linux is based on the chipset and board architecture popularized by IBM for their "PC" brand, so even though it's not Windows it can reasonably be called a PC (although to be completely technically accurate it's a PC clone unless it's built by IBM/Lenovo).  A Macintosh these days is rather close to being a PC clone as well, but the difference in board architecture is enough that it's a stretch to call it a PC for now.

Now I agree that my rule isn't perfect, because there's no Apple logo on machines like Sun or SPARC stations that can't be called PCs, but again someone running such high-end hardware is unlikely to need a cheat to figure out what they're using so as a simple rule of thumb it works.

Virg

Bethalize:

--- Quote from: carol1412 on March 11, 2013, 01:29:51 PM ---Here's one example of dance writing - it's the Lilac Fairy solo from The Nutcracker
http://www.dancewriting.org/acrobat/ballet/SheetDance_Lilac_Fairy.pdf

--- End quote ---

Great link, but is the Lilac Fairy from Sleeping Beauty? Web results suggest so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version