A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1402/1847) > >>

snowfire:

--- Quote from: jpcher on March 06, 2013, 06:47:29 PM ---New question:

What is the difference between a Breakfront, Sideboard and Buffet?

My mother has a Buffet, my SIL has a Breakfront and my other SIL has a Sideboard. They all seem to serve the same function: drawers & cabinets to store dishes/table clothes, etc. Sometimes food is placed on top for large parties.

Do you have one of these things and what do you call it? Why?

(I actually have a buffet, but I guess I can't call it that because my TV, stereo, etc. are on top of it and I store the videos/dvds/games, etc. inside. :-\)

--- End quote ---

What I consider as a buffet, and maybe a sideboard, though we never used that term in my family, is a piece of furniture about waist high with drawers & such for storing table linens & such and it has a flat top that you can put food type stuff on.  What we call a breakfront is a two piece item.  The base has drawers & shelves with doors which we always used for yet more table linens, candles & holders, vases.  The top part has glass front doors and shelves where  you can display pretty items.  The whole thing stands about 6.5 feet tall.  I was told it was called a breakfront because the two pieces "break" apart for moving.

This is what I would consider a buffet.

This is what I would call a breakfront.

Bethalize:

My mother has a Buffet, my SIL has a Breakfront and my other SIL has a Sideboard. They all seem to serve the same function: drawers & cabinets to store dishes/table clothes, etc. Sometimes food is placed on top for large parties.

--- End quote ---

I went to the Oxford English Dictionary to check this.

Sideboard - A table (esp. for taking meals at) placed towards the side of a room, hall, etc. 1377
Buffet - a sideboard. First recorded use 1718
Breakfront -   Used esp. attrib.: a piece of furniture having a front of which the line is broken by a curve or angle. 1928

So there you go. The same thing, just the words are different.

LazyDaisy:

--- Quote from: Virg on March 05, 2013, 02:50:40 PM ---WillyNilly wrote:

"This must vary by state not "U.S. government rules" because I have a Ford F150 that is by most definitions a "truck" but it is legally registered as, and taxed as, a passenger vehicle ("suburban") not as a "truck" and as such it is legally allowed on parkways, which in my state at least, are highways that specifically outlaw trucks and any commercial vehicles. I know of no one in my state who's SUV was legally considered a "truck" it is purely a social term for the vehicles."

National regulations involve the manufacture of the vehicle and safety regulations for selling them, and taxation on import.  Registration, sales/use taxes and fees are always handled at the state level so that definition will vary by state.  By U.S. government rules, which cover the safety tests they must pass, emissions and engine standards, and design rules, SUVs are trucks.  I wouldn't see a problem saying they are "cars" in the passenger vehicle sense, but I do think that saying they're not trucks is inaccurate because of the above.

Virg

--- End quote ---

I agree with Virg. A reason why SUV's are considered "trucks", from what I understand, is that they are manufactured on the same chassis, have the same motor, and same transmission as a full-size pickup truck. So other than some extra sheet metal to fill in the body and extra seating, a Ford Explorer is fundamentally the same as a Ford F150.

violinp:

--- Quote from: snowfire on March 06, 2013, 07:59:32 PM ---

Do you have one of these things and what do you call it? Why?

(I actually have a buffet, but I guess I can't call it that because my TV, stereo, etc. are on top of it and I store the videos/dvds/games, etc. inside. :-\)

--- End quote ---

What I consider as a buffet, and maybe a sideboard, though we never used that term in my family, is a piece of furniture about waist high with drawers & such for storing table linens & such and it has a flat top that you can put food type stuff on.  What we call a breakfront is a two piece item.  The base has drawers & shelves with doors which we always used for yet more table linens, candles & holders, vases.  The top part has glass front doors and shelves where  you can display pretty items.  The whole thing stands about 6.5 feet tall.  I was told it was called a breakfront because the two pieces "break" apart for moving.

This is what I would consider a buffet.

This is what I would call a breakfront.

--- End quote ---

I would call the second one a china cabinet.

Dindrane:
If you look at the middle section of the glass-doored cabinet snowfire posted, it sticks out just a bit from the ends. I think that is what makes it a breakfront.

I would also imagine that the term "china cabinet" is more inclusive than the term "breakfront." In other words, a china cabinet can describe just about any piece of furniture with shelves suitable for storing/displaying china and glass doors, whereas a breakfront is a specific type of china cabinet.

As far as buffet vs. sideboard, I think they refer to the same piece of furniture and are synonyms of each other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version