A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1402/1933) > >>

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: jpcher on March 06, 2013, 06:47:29 PM ---New question:

What is the difference between a Breakfront, Sideboard and Buffet?

My mother has a Buffet, my SIL has a Breakfront and my other SIL has a Sideboard. They all seem to serve the same function: drawers & cabinets to store dishes/table clothes, etc. Sometimes food is placed on top for large parties.

Do you have one of these things and what do you call it? Why

(I actually have a buffet, but I guess I can't call it that because my TV, stereo, etc. are on top of it and I store the videos/dvds/games, etc. inside. :-\)

--- End quote ---

We don't have any of these things but relatives have.

MIL has a Breakfront.  This is a tall piece of furniture with drawers below and a place to display glassware and china above.  Her Breakfront has no exposed counter where food can be served. 

My mother had what we called a hutch.  This was a piece of furniture in two parts.  The lower part had doors and shelves inside to store things.  The upper part was separate and had no doors.  It had shelves to display china or glassware.  There was space on top of the lower section where dishes of food could be set out.

Sideboards and buffets were pretty much the same thing.  Either could be about waist high with shelves behind doors on the bottom where things could be shelved.  In the old days, sideboards were more elaborate than buffets.  They often had mirrors mounted on the back between towers of drawers that held silverware or serving pieces. 

Buffets lacked the mirrors and the towers of drawers but the did have a slightly raised and decorated backboard. 

The purpose of both a sideboard and a buffet was to provide a place where a casual meal could be served.   

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on March 07, 2013, 10:37:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: jpcher on March 06, 2013, 06:47:29 PM ---New question:

What is the difference between a Breakfront, Sideboard and Buffet?

My mother has a Buffet, my SIL has a Breakfront and my other SIL has a Sideboard. They all seem to serve the same function: drawers & cabinets to store dishes/table clothes, etc. Sometimes food is placed on top for large parties.

Do you have one of these things and what do you call it? Why

(I actually have a buffet, but I guess I can't call it that because my TV, stereo, etc. are on top of it and I store the videos/dvds/games, etc. inside. :-\)

--- End quote ---

We don't have any of these things but relatives have.

MIL has a Breakfront.  This is a tall piece of furniture with drawers below and a place to display glassware and china above.  Her Breakfront has no exposed counter where food can be served. 

My mother had what we called a hutch.  This was a piece of furniture in two parts.  The lower part had doors and shelves inside to store things.  The upper part was separate and had no doors.  It had shelves to display china or glassware.  There was space on top of the lower section where dishes of food could be set out.

Sideboards and buffets were pretty much the same thing.  Either could be about waist high with shelves behind doors on the bottom where things could be shelved.  In the old days, sideboards were more elaborate than buffets.  They often had mirrors mounted on the back between towers of drawers that held silverware or serving pieces. 

Buffets lacked the mirrors and the towers of drawers but the did have a slightly raised and decorated backboard. 

The purpose of both a sideboard and a buffet was to provide a place where a casual meal could be served.

--- End quote ---

We have what the furniture store said was a breakfront that is identical to what you called a hutch, except it has two small doored compartments (each about the size of a box that could hold a gallon milk jug).  :)

Virg:
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"We have what the furniture store said was a breakfront that is identical to what you called a hutch, except it has two small doored compartments (each about the size of a box that could hold a gallon milk jug).  :)"

A breakfront is a type of furniture, not a description of a piece itself.  To give you an analogy, if I walked into my kitchen and said I had a side-by-side, and you responded that you'd call that item a refrigerator, we'd both be right.  Then I could walk into my living room and point out another side-by-side, which holds the TV.  "Breakfront" means that it's got a specific shape to the front of it, so one could have a breakfront hutch and a breakfront china cabinet and while it would be confusing, you could legitimately call them both a "breakfront" for short.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska:
It's probably here that I should mention that, at the age of thirty-nine, I have never been furniture shopping.  Mom and I always lived together, and it was her province to buy the furnishings, and she only passed recently (has it really been FOUR years?!), so we've still got the old furniture.  But we are going to move soon, so when we do I'll be buying furniture for the first time.

Assuming I don't buy it off Craigslist...

camlan:
There's the technical definition of breakfront: A piece of furniture having the line of its front broken by a curve or angle.

And there's how furniture manufacturers use the term, which seems to be a piece of furniture with cabinets on the bottom and a glass door display area on top, regardless of the shape of the front.

My parents had a buffet with a definite curve to the front of it, so it was a breakfront buffet. But it did not have the china cabinet part on top. Still a breakfront, though, because of its shape.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version