Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1060050 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7020 on: March 11, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »
Easy answer:
Control key?  PC
Command key?  Mac

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7021 on: March 11, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
I don't know if I have a Mac or a PC  :-\ :-[, and I don't seem to have the keys anybody's mentioned.  I'm sorry, thanks anyway :).

No worries! We're here to help! ;D

I'm betting you have a PC.

In which case the "alt" key is on the bottom row, left side, below the "shift" key (maybe 2 keys over?).

Hold down the "alt" key, then press "0163" -- on my work computer (a tower), you need to use the number keypad, not the top row of numbers (not sure how it works on a lap top, sorry! I don't have a PC to test. :-\)

If it's a Mac, there will be a small apple icon at the far left side on the top-most menu bar.

If you do have a mac, the "option" key is also on the bottom row. Hold down the "option" key and hit the number "3" = £

If I didn't explain it clearly enough, please let us know . . . that's what this thread is all about, asking stupid questions and getting answers without feeling foolish.

(There's no such thing as a stupid question! ;D)

Alt+0163

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7022 on: March 11, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
£ £ £ £ ♣ £  ;D

My next question would have been "where's the number keypad?", before I thought, "Oh, the numbers off to the right!" :-[ ;).

And yes, I've finally found I have a PC.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7023 on: March 11, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
Weird question for bakers. Why does the sugar make a chocolate batter  become much darker?

I was baking a cake on Friday at the same time as I was doing several other things (pro tip: don't multitask while baking). This is a recipe for disaster, of course. As I poured the batter into the pan, I noticed it was a lighter, creamier colour than usual, so I tasted it. Yuck - I had forgotten the sugar. I added the sugar and, as I stirred, the batter went from a light brown to a deep, dark chocolaty colour. Why?

Note - it was an oil based cake, so no need to cream butter and sugar first, which is how I ended up forgetting the sugar.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7024 on: March 11, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
£ £ £ £ ♣ £  ;D

My next question would have been "where's the number keypad?", before I thought, "Oh, the numbers off to the right!" :-[ ;).

And yes, I've finally found I have a PC.

;D ;D ;D

Carotte

« Reply #7025 on: March 12, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »
What was special about yesterday, in the US, that tv shows like Bones or How I met Your Mother didn't air/had an episode?
I can usualy catch them a few hours after they are broadcasted, and often there are those days where there's nothing new to watch and I have no idea why (because I'm in europe).

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7026 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Dianne AKA Traska wrote:

"Easy answer:
Control key?  PC
Command key?  Mac"

This struck me as odd, because the way I've always specified is, Apple logo on the machine, it's a Mac.  No Apple logo, It's a PC.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7027 on: March 12, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
Weird question for bakers. Why does the sugar make a chocolate batter  become much darker?

I was baking a cake on Friday at the same time as I was doing several other things (pro tip: don't multitask while baking). This is a recipe for disaster, of course. As I poured the batter into the pan, I noticed it was a lighter, creamier colour than usual, so I tasted it. Yuck - I had forgotten the sugar. I added the sugar and, as I stirred, the batter went from a light brown to a deep, dark chocolaty colour. Why?

Note - it was an oil based cake, so no need to cream butter and sugar first, which is how I ended up forgetting the sugar.

I am a baker, and I am not certain why. Even my google-fu turned up no answers.  :o

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7028 on: March 12, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
What was special about yesterday, in the US, that tv shows like Bones or How I met Your Mother didn't air/had an episode?
I can usualy catch them a few hours after they are broadcasted, and often there are those days where there's nothing new to watch and I have no idea why (because I'm in europe).
Feb Sweeps are over - they will be saving new episodes for May Sweeps then the season will be over for broadcast networks. Cable networks don't do the sweeps thing as much and tend to have 2 1/2 seasons. You will see some shows mentioned having season 4 and season 4.5. Cable networks tend to air new episodes in blocks during times the broadcast networks are airing repeats.

Sweeps - a time when ratings are measured to set advertising rates. There are those here in the industry that can explain this better.

Spring Break - At least were I am many of the districts and private schools are out for the week and many families are on vacation.  Spring Break season tends to run from First full week in March until Easter/end of March.  Used to go into April but now April tends to be the season of THE TEST - when states give their big high stakes test.

In Texas will give our first test the week after Easter. 4th grade writing (2 days) because that take a long time to grade, and 5th grade Reading and Math because they have to pass it to go to the 6th grade. They get three chances 2 in the school year and 1 during the summer. (I teach elementary so can't recall tests for the upper grades off the top of my head but some of them will be testing that week also).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7029 on: March 12, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
Dianne AKA Traska wrote:

"Easy answer:
Control key?  PC
Command key?  Mac"

This struck me as odd, because the way I've always specified is, Apple logo on the machine, it's a Mac.  No Apple logo, It's a PC.

Virg
But now you have things like my Chromebook - though according to this rule it would be a windows machine because it has a control key. BTW I love my Chromebook.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7030 on: March 12, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »
Dianne AKA Traska wrote:

"Easy answer:
Control key?  PC
Command key?  Mac"

Virg
But now you have things like my Chromebook - though according to this rule it would be a windows machine because it has a control key. BTW I love my Chromebook.

Virg’s a little off, because now that Macs are Intel-based, you get "hackintoshes" like my SO’s where they build what is essentially a PC, but runs OSX natively. It’s just not manufactured by Apple. Although one could argue that it’s not a Mac in that case, and I guess I agree.

PC ≠ Windows, since PCs can also run Chromium OS (Google), Linux, etc. (Although said hackintoshes require specific hardware—not all PCs will work)

And Chromebooks are their own thing (thus the differentiation between Chrome OS and Chromium OS), but since the OS is based on Linux, it uses Windows-like key mapping, thus the control key instead of command.

Then you get people like me, who dual boot their Apple computers (MacBook, in my case), so that their Windows computer has a command key (which functions like the Windows-logo key on a native Windows machine). That really bothers me though… I’m forever trying the wrong keyboard shortcut combinations since 96% of my computing is done in OSX.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7031 on: March 12, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
stitchygreyanonymouse wrote:

"Virg’s a little off, because now that Macs are Intel-based, you get "hackintoshes" like my SO’s where they build what is essentially a PC, but runs OSX natively. It’s just not manufactured by Apple. Although one could argue that it’s not a Mac in that case, and I guess I agree."

That's it exactly.  A computer isn't a Macintosh just because it runs OSX, because that's a brand name for Apple's line of computers.  As for Frankentoshes, I figure anyone who's savvy enough to build a PC-based machine that can run OSX will know what they're running without resorting to looking over the keyboard or case.

Also, not every PC runs Windows.  A Chromebook running Linux is based on the chipset and board architecture popularized by IBM for their "PC" brand, so even though it's not Windows it can reasonably be called a PC (although to be completely technically accurate it's a PC clone unless it's built by IBM/Lenovo).  A Macintosh these days is rather close to being a PC clone as well, but the difference in board architecture is enough that it's a stretch to call it a PC for now.

Now I agree that my rule isn't perfect, because there's no Apple logo on machines like Sun or SPARC stations that can't be called PCs, but again someone running such high-end hardware is unlikely to need a cheat to figure out what they're using so as a simple rule of thumb it works.

Virg

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #7032 on: March 12, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
Here's one example of dance writing - it's the Lilac Fairy solo from The Nutcracker
http://www.dancewriting.org/acrobat/ballet/SheetDance_Lilac_Fairy.pdf

Great link, but is the Lilac Fairy from Sleeping Beauty? Web results suggest so.

carol1412

« Reply #7033 on: March 12, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
Sorry - yes. Sleeping Beauty not Nutcracker.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7034 on: March 12, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
Feb Sweeps are over - they will be saving new episodes for May Sweeps then the season will be over for broadcast networks. Cable networks don't do the sweeps thing as much and tend to have 2 1/2 seasons. You will see some shows mentioned having season 4 and season 4.5. Cable networks tend to air new episodes in blocks during times the broadcast networks are airing repeats.

Sweeps - a time when ratings are measured to set advertising rates. There are those here in the industry that can explain this better.

Spring Break - At least were I am many of the districts and private schools are out for the week and many families are on vacation.  Spring Break season tends to run from First full week in March until Easter/end of March.  Used to go into April but now April tends to be the season of THE TEST - when states give their big high stakes test.

In Texas will give our first test the week after Easter. 4th grade writing (2 days) because that take a long time to grade, and 5th grade Reading and Math because they have to pass it to go to the 6th grade. They get three chances 2 in the school year and 1 during the summer. (I teach elementary so can't recall tests for the upper grades off the top of my head but some of them will be testing that week also).

I think it's the end of sweeps. They've all put on their best shows for the sweeps and many will now be in re-runs for awhile. Except Grimm, which just started up again after three months of no new shows. I think Bones was a re-run--the season opener episode, IIRC.

School vacation is more doubtful. Not every state has the same school vacation schedule. In New England and parts of New York, the kids get a week off in February and a week off in April, with no March break.

And honestly, in the past decade or two, tv schedules have become high erratic. When I was a kid, back in the 60s, the shows all started around the same time in September, ran their episodes and reruns were for the summer.

Now, shows start whenever, go on hiatus whenever. New shows start up randomly throughout the year. Repeats happen all the time. You never really know when there will be a new episode unless you pay close attention to related media. If you aren't constantly watching tv so as to see the ads for upcoming episodes, or on social media or fan sites, you never know when your favorite show will air an new episode.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn