Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1111890 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7080 on: March 15, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
I had to think twice recently when someone told me in an excited tone that they were going to Boston for a long weekend. It's a pleasant place, but not that special ..... Oh, she meant Boston in the USA.

Similarly when my mother and I flew to Canada, landing in Toronto, it was very strange seeing the names of towns we were flying over, as though we were doing a crazy tour of the British Isles.

It's the same for someone from New England visiting England.

There are Manchesters in New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, Massachusetts and Maine (as well as other, non-New England states). Here in NH, we have Dover, Exeter, and Portsmouth. Massachusetts has Cambridge, Taunton, Plymouth, Sandwich, Worcester, Boston, Gloucester, and Bedford. Connecticut has Bristol, Danbury, Derby, Dover, Guildford, Milford, New London, and Norwich. Vermont has Brighton, Coventry, Derby, and Essex. Maine has York, Cambridge, Leeds, and Topsham. And there's lots more.

There's a lot of repetition among the New England states, with city and town names from England. I live near Newington, NH. I used to live in Newington, CT. My guess is that a lot of settlers came from the same general areas of England, but settled in different parts of the country.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7081 on: March 15, 2013, 10:03:37 PM »
Can someone tell me why this is considered attractive?  It's so revolting to me that I don't even want to post the picture here!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7082 on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:40 PM »
Can someone tell me why this is considered attractive?  It's so revolting to me that I don't even want to post the picture here!

For a lot of people, bright red = sexy, wet lips = sexy, so mix the two...

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7083 on: March 15, 2013, 10:17:03 PM »
I had no idea there was a Dutch Zeeland.

There are a lot of "Zees" in Dutch words. I have lived in upstate NY and Jersey (sorry, could not resist!), where there is a lot of Dutch influence. :) There is the Tappan Zee Bridge, for example, that connects Rockland and Westchester Counties via the Hudson River. The Tappan part is Native American, the Zee from the Dutch. And in MI, where I grew up, there a town called Zeeland, near Holland, MI. The Dutch got around!

As far as calling the state I live in Jersey, that is pretty much what the residents call it. You will never hear, "the New Jersey Shore." In formal settings, definitely it is NJ. In casual situations, Jersey is the norm.
Okay then, why don't New York residents call their city York?  :P

Why would we copy the people of Jersey? We're New York, people copy us;)

Err, we didn't in the midwest or the south.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7084 on: March 15, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
The lips remind me of Rocky Horror.  ;)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7085 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »

Red glossy lips? I'm struggling with what you find "revolting" about such a classically sultry look.

Iris

« Reply #7086 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »

Red glossy lips? I'm struggling with what you find "revolting" about such a classically sultry look.

Well, I used to wear red lip gloss all the time and although I didn't find it revolting, personally I found it a bit OTT because they are so extremely wet and sticky looking. I would be afraid that if they kissed me I'd end up looking like I'd been attacked with a knife.

In fairness, 20-year-old  me would have thought that the more extreme look was great. Teamed with really really thick liquid eyeliner and pale foundation and I'd have been good to go.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7087 on: March 16, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
All the washing machines that I've seen around here are the same; they alternate hot and cold water to supposedly get the temperature you want. Except that it doesn't work that way. "Cold" means you get cold water, "warm" means you get barely tepid water, and "hot" means you get lukewarm water. You have to shut off the cold tap behind the washer in order to get a truly hot wash. And if you want anything more than freezing cold (but not truly hot), you have to stand there and help it fill just right. I thought it was just our apartment, but most of my friends have the same thing going on with theirs.

I use cold water most of the time, but sometimes warm or hot is necessary, especially with hard water. So can anyone tell me what the point is? I imagine it has something to do with being more environmentally friendly, but I don't see how that works; if I have to run the load once or twice more to wash the clothes adequately and rinse the everything out (I use a very small amount of soap, no softener), it's not saving energy or water.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #7088 on: March 16, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »

I use cold water most of the time, but sometimes warm or hot is necessary, especially with hard water. So can anyone tell me what the point is? I imagine it has something to do with being more environmentally friendly, but I don't see how that works; if I have to run the load once or twice more to wash the clothes adequately and rinse the everything out (I use a very small amount of soap, no softener), it's not saving energy or water.

The point is generally that you save energy by not using any hot water in the first place - so if you want to do a completely hot wash then in your case you'd need to turn the cold tap off before starting the hot wash.

With my machine there's only one tap connection (front loading Samsung machine) which is for the cold water, and to do a hot wash we select the temperature at the start of the wash - cold, 45 degrees, 60 degrees, 90 degrees (celsius) and then an element inside the machine itself heats up the water as it goes into the machine - so a 90 degree wash takes a minimum of 2 hours to go through because the machine spends 25 minutes heating the water up in the back of the machine before it's released into the barrel with the clothes.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7089 on: March 16, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »
With my machine there's only one tap connection (front loading Samsung machine) which is for the cold water, and to do a hot wash we select the temperature at the start of the wash - cold, 45 degrees, 60 degrees, 90 degrees (celsius) and then an element inside the machine itself heats up the water as it goes into the machine - so a 90 degree wash takes a minimum of 2 hours to go through because the machine spends 25 minutes heating the water up in the back of the machine before it's released into the barrel with the clothes.
That's why I hated having a front loader.  Between the time it took to do a load, and the tiny barrel that would hold 1 queen-sized sheet or 3 shirts and a few socks, I had to run it constantly for a family of 4.  >:(
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Coruscation

« Reply #7090 on: March 16, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
All the washing machines that I've seen around here are the same; they alternate hot and cold water to supposedly get the temperature you want. Except that it doesn't work that way. "Cold" means you get cold water, "warm" means you get barely tepid water, and "hot" means you get lukewarm water. You have to shut off the cold tap behind the washer in order to get a truly hot wash. And if you want anything more than freezing cold (but not truly hot), you have to stand there and help it fill just right. I thought it was just our apartment, but most of my friends have the same thing going on with theirs.

Essentially, it is so they pass the water saving tests and get a low rating in the lab. What happens in the real world is irrelevant to them.

I had a low flush toilet I pretty much had to scrub and reflush every single time so it wasted water like anything but it had a great star rating.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7091 on: March 17, 2013, 03:16:02 AM »
All the washing machines I've seen in the UK are cold fill only these days. It is meant to be more efficient that way because you only heat the water you use.
NE England

CakeBeret

« Reply #7092 on: March 17, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »
Topic in the special snowflakes thread reminded me of a question I've been wondering about: does autocorrect base its suggestions on words *you personally* use a lot, or does it acquire words from some big master list?  If it's based on the master list, how do they avoid offending half their users when it "corrects" an innocent word into something profane (which - based on what I've seen on the rest of the internet - would probably be a pretty common occurrence)?  If it's based on your own history, does that mean those embarrassingly profane autocorrects mean the person really did type that vulgar word enough for it to be at the top of the possibilities list?

Depends on what keyboard you are using. IIRC stock keyboards autocorrect to a 'clean' list of words, but will also save any words you use that were not previously in the dictionary.

I have an Android phone and downloaded the Swiftkey keyboard, which learns from my previous texts and (optionally) Facebook, Twitter, and email. So not only does it learn what words I use, but also my writing style. It predicts the next words I will use, and can guess words based on contact.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7093 on: March 17, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »
All the washing machines I've seen in the UK are cold fill only these days. It is meant to be more efficient that way because you only heat the water you use.

Our washer doesn't have a heating element at all. It just switches back and forth between the hot and cold lines. It wouldn't bother me so much if hot didn't come our lukewarm and warm didn't come out at just barely warmer than cold.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7094 on: March 18, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
MrsJWine wrote:

"Our washer doesn't have a heating element at all. It just switches back and forth between the hot and cold lines. It wouldn't bother me so much if hot didn't come our lukewarm and warm didn't come out at just barely warmer than cold."

In this case your only real option is to deal with the taps in place or make the incoming water hotter.  It's more expensive, but an easy fix, to turn up the thermostat on your water heater, but that may also have safety implications since your hot tap water will be much hotter so you run a higher risk of scalding.  One solution I saw that helps with a situation like you describe is to get a hose valve like the kind you'd put on an outside garden hose.  Put it on the cold water tap and attach the cold water hose for the washer to it, and then half-close it so that the hot line has higher pressure into the washer.  You'll get more hot water in the mix as a result so your warm wash will be hotter.

If full-on hot comes out lukewarm (as in just opening the hot water tap provides only tepid water) then you need to see why your hot line isn't delivering hot water, and mostly that'll be a job for a professional plumber.

Virg