Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 967887 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7110 on: March 19, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
YouTube videos don't seem to help me. My hair is really fine, really slippery, and curl resistant. I can never figure out how to manage more than one strand of hair at a time. And none of the curling tutorials work. I'm either doing something very wrong, or my hair has an evil agenda. I've been practicing a lot on my older daughter lately, and I have finally figure out how to do a regular, boring braid without all the hair slipping through my fingers. I can't believe that's something I had to work for.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7111 on: March 19, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »
YouTube videos don't seem to help me. My hair is really fine, really slippery, and curl resistant. I can never figure out how to manage more than one strand of hair at a time. And none of the curling tutorials work. I'm either doing something very wrong, or my hair has an evil agenda. I've been practicing a lot on my older daughter lately, and I have finally figure out how to do a regular, boring braid without all the hair slipping through my fingers. I can't believe that's something I had to work for.

For thin hair you might need to use product, not tools. I'd suggest going a day without washing, then spraying liberally with a dry shampoo, letting that dry for 2-3 minutes then trying to style your hair. The days worth of grease, as soaked up by the dry shampoo, should give your hair a sense of thickness and natural hold.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7112 on: March 19, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
My hair is fine but I have a lot of it (so not thin) and straight. Even bobby pins just slip right through. I've had the best results using a volumizing spray on wet hair rather than a dry shampoo. Spray on the roots and comb to the ends then blow dry. It adds just the right amount of stickiness to help me style it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7113 on: March 19, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »
My hair is fine but I have a lot of it (so not thin) and straight. Even bobby pins just slip right through. I've had the best results using a volumizing spray on wet hair rather than a dry shampoo. Spray on the roots and comb to the ends then blow dry. It adds just the right amount of stickiness to help me style it.

Thanks, that sounds like my hair. I've tried dry shampoo, but they all seem to make my hair look even grosser. I don't wash it every day (it stays much healthier that way), but I engineer it so that I'm not doing anything except maybe grocery shopping on the days I don't. If I could get good enough at doing my hair, I could just always put it up on no-wash days; it's too short to just put in a pony tail.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7114 on: March 19, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
The trick to using bobby pins is to remember that it needs to be anchored down. When I was still in the Army (waist length hair + training), I had to wear it in a bun and I could get it to stay in place with 3 bobby pins, even though I have very heavy hair. This isn't a challenge, of course, it is just to give an idea that it can be done.

I made a a pony tail, twirled the hair around itself until it started coiling and directed the coil so that it wrapped around the base of the pony tail. Then, I got a bobby pin and slipped it through the hair at the scalp, through some of the hair in the bun and then poked it between the elastic of the pony tail, which would also help keep it in place. Repeat around the bun, concentrating on the top part, not the bottom.

If, even so, it isn't staying up, try a braided bun by braiding the pony tail instead of twirling.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7115 on: March 19, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
I've tried the bun and twist like you mentioned, Willy Nilly, and they never work because I have so much hair. The elastic will secure part of the hair and the rest of it just starts unravelling.

Use a "scrunchie" type ponytail holder, but make sure it is large enough to go around the bun at least twice.  A while back I posted a picture of my hair on the "things that drive you up a wall" thread, so you can see that I have a massive amount of hair as well, and those work just fine to keep it all held up.  You might have to play with exactly what type of elastic or cloth ponytail holder will work for you, but with all the varieties available, something has to work.

Great idea! I have a very hard time with bobby pins -- they just do NOT like to stay in my hair -- but I just tried a quick bun with a scrunchie and it feels very secure. :)  I'm going to keep an eye out for some cute chopsticks and hair forks to see if they work too. I've been trying to style my hair more as it's grown out, but I'm not very good at it. I do the half-up with a clip almost all the time.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7116 on: March 19, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
Thanks folks! I will check out the Youtube videos. I am trying to transition myself into a more professional image. I'm starting with my hair, and soon I plan on spending some time at makeup counters learning how to use makeup. I've also started wearing blouses instead of T-shirts, flats instead of sneakers, etc. I've always felt a little ridiculous that I never learned how to dress or style myself properly.

You are me about 2 months ago.  I'm still figuring out everything and only now just started on the make up, but I decided that I need to start looking like I'm 25 year old tomboy me, not still 14 year old tomboy me.  PM if you'd like a suggestion for some videos on YouTube; I'd be happy to share.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

AustenFan

« Reply #7117 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:22 PM »
CakeBeret, look up how to lock bobby pins, it sounds wacky but if you learn to cross them in an X with the wavy parts on top of eachother you can very easily do fantastic looking things. It makes buns and french twists very easy. Spin pins never worked for me, my hair is too thick and bent/broke them. I don't like the look of scrunchies or chopsticks, so learning how to bobby pin securely was a sanity saver for me.

I also suggest you google how to back comb properly. A ponytail with a little height and hair wrapped around the elastic is the easiest style I know, and looks very professional.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7118 on: March 20, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »
So I'm relatively new to home ownership and I had my first major toilet incident this weekend. I called a recommended plumber who said my particular toilet is a weird brand with irregularly shaped parts and he might not be able to find the right one. If he can, it would cost $175 for the part and the repair. If he can't, I'd have to buy a new toilet ($150ish) and he could install it for another $150. Since he couldn't do anything right away, he didn't charge me for the visit.

While talking with a more experienced friend last night, he said the prices sound right but if it comes to a new toilet, he could install it for me for free. If I suddenly change my mind, do I risk alienating the plumber, who I might want to use in the future? Should I offer to pay him for his time so far?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7119 on: March 20, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »
So I'm relatively new to home ownership and I had my first major toilet incident this weekend. I called a recommended plumber who said my particular toilet is a weird brand with irregularly shaped parts and he might not be able to find the right one. If he can, it would cost $175 for the part and the repair. If he can't, I'd have to buy a new toilet ($150ish) and he could install it for another $150. Since he couldn't do anything right away, he didn't charge me for the visit.

While talking with a more experienced friend last night, he said the prices sound right but if it comes to a new toilet, he could install it for me for free. If I suddenly change my mind, do I risk alienating the plumber, who I might want to use in the future? Should I offer to pay him for his time so far?

I don't think you need to worry about alienating the plumber.  There are a million plumbers out there, so if this one gets his nose bent out of shape because you opted for the most economical plan of action (and who wouldn't?), then just find a different plumber.

Installing a toilet is not difficult.  If you have a friend who is willing to help you, I think it's smart to save the $150.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7120 on: March 20, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »

How would the plumber know? Even in our small town, we could easily go to Home Depot, buy a toilet, and have someone in an unmarked vehicle intall it.

We had an Eljer toilet when we moved in, couldn't even get parts online. I shudder every time I see one of their ads.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7121 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Installing a toilet is heavy, some what unpleasant and intimidating. But its not hard. Since its cheaper to replace the current toilet then to fix it, and because its not new and already broke once, i''d just go ahead and have your friend do it (and watch him/help him so you can learn). For confidence you might want to watch a few videos on how to do it in advance - I know HGTV has some, and probably there are some on YouTube.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7122 on: March 20, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Tradespeople come in and do estimates all the time and then don't get the job, which is essentially what the plumber did for you.  Just call him again the next time you need something done, if your friend can't help you out.

I haven't done it but I've seen it done and replacing a toilet isn't overly difficult but it does take some muscle and some care to avoid getting water everywhere.  I do agree that you are better off replacing the toilet than repairing it for the cost of the repairs.  One thing to consider, though, is that the plumber's $150 toilet might be better quality than the $150 toilet you pick up yourself.  He probably gets contract pricing so could give you a cut on the toilet that he would make up on the installation.  $150 for the installation sounds a bit high to me because it only takes about an hour for the job, although that wouldn't include his driving time and the time he took to pick it up.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7123 on: March 20, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
You can buy a good toilet at Home Depot or Lowes in which you can receive credit from your PUD.  We bought a toilet last summer and got a rebate from the PUD which meant the toilet essentially cost us $2.  Installed it ourselves.  That's a good deal!

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #7124 on: March 20, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
For the people having problem with their hair:

try something like this: http://www.silvermoonbeams.com/PAGES/Flowers.html

They are really easy to use, these ones (specifically) bend, both parts.  They haven't broke on me yet, and they're decorative enough to look professional.  I've used them to hold curly hair, pin straight hair, thin hair, buns, french twists and ponytails (half and full).

They are worth their weight in gold.  Me and my friends all love them.