Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1089043 times)

Betelnut

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7125 on: March 20, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
Do smoke/fire detectors have to be installed on the ceiling and horizontally?  I would like to put some on the wall, vertically (close to the ceiling but not on it).
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7126 on: March 20, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
Do smoke/fire detectors have to be installed on the ceiling and horizontally?  I would like to put some on the wall, vertically (close to the ceiling but not on it).

Yes, they can and here is some basic guidelines for installing.
http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?categoryID=1648&itemID=39907&URL=Safety%20Information/For%20consumers/Fire%20&%20safety%20equipment/Smoke%20alarms/Installation%20and%20maintenance%20tips&cookie%5Ftest=1

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7127 on: March 20, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »

All my life, in all my homes, I have always had fire/smoke detectors on the walls, very close to the ceiling but not on the actual ceiling. They have always operated well. You do want them high though, since smoke and heat rise.

DaisyG

« Reply #7128 on: March 20, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »
For the people having problem with their hair:

try something like this: http://www.silvermoonbeams.com/PAGES/Flowers.html

They are really easy to use, these ones (specifically) bend, both parts.  They haven't broke on me yet, and they're decorative enough to look professional.  I've used them to hold curly hair, pin straight hair, thin hair, buns, french twists and ponytails (half and full).

They are worth their weight in gold.  Me and my friends all love them.

Are these like the flexi-8 (www.flexi8.com)? I've been meaning to get one of those but they're quite expensive for me. Also I'm a bit apprehensive about sizing as the website doesn't seem to take into account different lengths of hair (and mine is just past my waist).

I have also learned other hair styles from Youtube and would recommend searching on there for the Nautilus bun which after some practice goes up in minutes with just one stick.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7129 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »

This is actually recommended.  Smoke and fire tend to crawl up the walls first then spread over the ceiling so it is better to have them on the wall.  My local fire departement recommends having them just outside all sleeping areas, as well as at least one on each floor somewhere.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #7130 on: March 20, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »

They are really easy to use, these ones (specifically) bend, both parts.  They haven't broke on me yet, and they're decorative enough to look professional.  I've used them to hold curly hair, pin straight hair, thin hair, buns, french twists and ponytails (half and full).

Are these like the flexi-8 (www.flexi8.com)? I've been meaning to get one of those but they're quite expensive for me. Also I'm a bit apprehensive about sizing as the website doesn't seem to take into account different lengths of hair (and mine is just past my waist).

I have also learned other hair styles from Youtube and would recommend searching on there for the Nautilus bun which after some practice goes up in minutes with just one stick.

Kind of, but better, IMO.  These come in one size, but can be bent to accommodate different amounts of hair and different styles.  I have thick hair that's at my waist and I have no trouble using them.  They hold my hair really well.

ETA: Apparently they come in different sizes.  :)  I use the medium size, but if you had more hair, then the large would work.  Like I said, though, they can be bent which makes it really easy to use them.  Both the stick and the hairpiece bends.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:56:10 PM by Morrigan »

Betelnut

« Reply #7131 on: March 20, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for answering the smoke detector question.  I hate balancing on a ladder to change the batteries--having them high up but not ON the ceiling will help.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

mandycorn

« Reply #7132 on: March 20, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
I have a pearl necklace my grandmother gave me that I recently discovered can be worn with business casual clothes without looking silly (I'd always been a little afraid of it before).

It's a string of pearls in graduated sizes, on some sort of string. It's knotted between the pearls, so if it breaks, I wouldn't lose all of them (thank heavens!).

My main question is how should I take care of them, now that I'm going to be wearing them more? I know I should check the string to make sure it isn't fraying anywhere and make sure I don't get perfume or makeup on them. Does anybody have any tips on cleaning them (how often, using what products, how do I dry them, etc)? Is there anything else I should know?

I'm going to Google also, but I'd rather ask the opinions of people I know, instead of stumbling blindly around the wilds of the internet.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7133 on: March 20, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
I wear pearls all the time and don't do anything but put them on and take them off. :) But mine are all on chains, not strings, so I'd think examining the string periodically for wear would be a good idea. You'll love wearing them! They're so versatile and always look classy.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7134 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
Take them off when you get home and run a microfiber cloth over them, just to remove the oils and any residue. Pearls shouldn't need more cleaning than this and you should avoid chemical cleaners (I am leery even of those "pearl safe" cleaners).

Avoid getting the necklace wet, as silk will stretch when wet. If it does get wet, place it on a clean towel and let dry for several day since it takes a while for the humidity at the center of the pearl to make its way out.

magicdomino

« Reply #7135 on: March 20, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »

I bought a couple of Flexi-8s at a craft show, so I had a chance to try them out first.  Length of hair doesn't matter as much as thickness and the way you will be using it.  A full ponytail requires a larger Flexi-8 than a style where only the front hair is pulled up and back.  My thin-to medium wavy hair uses a medium Flexi-8 for a full ponytail.  However, I need to use an elastic with it, because I'm not quite coordinated to hold the hair together, squeeze the ornament, and manuver the stick all at the same time.

mandycorn

« Reply #7136 on: March 20, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
Thanks KenveeB and lady_disdain, that's exactly what I needed to know! :D

I lent them to my sister to wear for her wedding and since then, I've always thought of them as off limits for normal day-to-day wear, but I'm giving it a shot and so far, I'm really loving it!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:14:58 PM by mandycorn »
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #7137 on: March 20, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for answering the smoke detector question.  I hate balancing on a ladder to change the batteries--having them high up but not ON the ceiling will help.

Our local fire department does home safety checks and install the smoke detectors for free for you.  They said the detectors must be on your ceiling rather than wall to work perfectly. The kind of detector they installed has a battery life of about ten years so it isn't very often you'd have to climb up to change it.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7138 on: March 20, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »
Thanks KenveeB and lady_disdain, that's exactly what I needed to know! :D

I lent them to my sister to wear for her wedding and since then, I've always thought of them as off limits for normal day-to-day wear, but I'm giving it a shot and so far, I'm really loving it!

I have a pearl necklace that I wear at least a few times each week. They really are a lovely form of jewelry.

I agree with the advice above, but make sure that you store them in a location where they won't get scratched. If you don't have a dedicated spot in a jewelry box where they won't get rubbed up against each other or other jewelry, it's probably worth finding a jewelry pouch with a soft interior so that you can keep them protected. I keep mine in a zippered pouch inside my jewelry box, since my jewelry box doesn't have any good spots for necklaces that would keep them protected enough.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7139 on: March 20, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
For those wondering about hair accessories, I bought this a few months ago and really like it:

http://www.drugstore.com/goody-comfort-flex-updo-barrette/qxp299224?catid=183396

I found mine at Target, but I've also seen it at my local grocery store. I think it also comes in a smaller size. The one I linked to is large enough to fit around all of my hair, even when it's doubled up on itself. I have not found many barrettes that are large enough to fit around all of my hair even in just a low ponytail, so that's a major plus.

I have shoulder-length curly hair right now, although it's still a little slippery and kind of unruly. When I use the barrette above, I gather my hair into a low ponytail, then twist it up (like I'm going for a french twist). I secure it by sticking the bar of the barrette underneath the twist (catching some of the hair right up against my scalp), and then securing it around the whole thing. Since my hair is short and curly, I just leave the ends sticking straight up, and they sort of curl around the rest of my hairstyle so it doesn't look like that's what I'm doing. :) If my hair were longer, I'd probably try to find a way to tuck the ends under somehow.

The nicest things about this barrette are that it holds my hair securely without being too snug or hurting my head, it doesn't snag my hair when I put it in or take it out, and it looks classy. I've gotten several compliments on my hair when I've used it during work hours. When I've checked out the result in a mirror at home, it really just ends up looking like I created a totally awesome french twist and then stuck a decoration on it for show. Nothing holds my hair so securely that I can leave it alone for 8 hours at a time (unless there's a lot of hairspray involved), but this does well enough that I usually only have to re-do the style once during my average work day.

Another thing I've learned with regard to hair involves my bangs. I had longish side-swept bangs cut in several years ago, but I'm kind of lazy about keeping them trimmed. They are often long enough to get in my face and be annoying, so I often pin them back with bobby pins. One thing I realized is that the look where you pull your bangs straight up, smooth them out a bit, and then pin them straight back on your head (leaving a bit of volume at your hairline) can actually be a flattering look under the right circumstances. It works for me when I can get the right chunk of hair and smooth them out enough that there aren't lumps. Too wide or too narrow a section of hair looks somewhat odd, but it works if I use one that occupies about the middle third of my forehead.

Also, if you are going to pin bangs (or similar) back with bobby pins, use two. Crossing one over another so they form an X works well, but I've also found that just putting two in parallel to each other (but close together) can be a secure hold, too. Particularly when I'm just pinning my bangs back on the side of my face, two parallel bobby pins looks a little nicer to me than crossing them.