Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 844568 times)

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7125 on: March 20, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
So I'm relatively new to home ownership and I had my first major toilet incident this weekend. I called a recommended plumber who said my particular toilet is a weird brand with irregularly shaped parts and he might not be able to find the right one. If he can, it would cost $175 for the part and the repair. If he can't, I'd have to buy a new toilet ($150ish) and he could install it for another $150. Since he couldn't do anything right away, he didn't charge me for the visit.

While talking with a more experienced friend last night, he said the prices sound right but if it comes to a new toilet, he could install it for me for free. If I suddenly change my mind, do I risk alienating the plumber, who I might want to use in the future? Should I offer to pay him for his time so far?

How would the plumber know? Even in our small town, we could easily go to Home Depot, buy a toilet, and have someone in an unmarked vehicle intall it.

We had an Eljer toilet when we moved in, couldn't even get parts online. I shudder every time I see one of their ads.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7126 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Installing a toilet is heavy, some what unpleasant and intimidating. But its not hard. Since its cheaper to replace the current toilet then to fix it, and because its not new and already broke once, i''d just go ahead and have your friend do it (and watch him/help him so you can learn). For confidence you might want to watch a few videos on how to do it in advance - I know HGTV has some, and probably there are some on YouTube.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7127 on: March 20, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Tradespeople come in and do estimates all the time and then don't get the job, which is essentially what the plumber did for you.  Just call him again the next time you need something done, if your friend can't help you out.

I haven't done it but I've seen it done and replacing a toilet isn't overly difficult but it does take some muscle and some care to avoid getting water everywhere.  I do agree that you are better off replacing the toilet than repairing it for the cost of the repairs.  One thing to consider, though, is that the plumber's $150 toilet might be better quality than the $150 toilet you pick up yourself.  He probably gets contract pricing so could give you a cut on the toilet that he would make up on the installation.  $150 for the installation sounds a bit high to me because it only takes about an hour for the job, although that wouldn't include his driving time and the time he took to pick it up.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7128 on: March 20, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
You can buy a good toilet at Home Depot or Lowes in which you can receive credit from your PUD.  We bought a toilet last summer and got a rebate from the PUD which meant the toilet essentially cost us $2.  Installed it ourselves.  That's a good deal!

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #7129 on: March 20, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
For the people having problem with their hair:

try something like this: http://www.silvermoonbeams.com/PAGES/Flowers.html

They are really easy to use, these ones (specifically) bend, both parts.  They haven't broke on me yet, and they're decorative enough to look professional.  I've used them to hold curly hair, pin straight hair, thin hair, buns, french twists and ponytails (half and full).

They are worth their weight in gold.  Me and my friends all love them.

Betelnut

« Reply #7130 on: March 20, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
Do smoke/fire detectors have to be installed on the ceiling and horizontally?  I would like to put some on the wall, vertically (close to the ceiling but not on it).
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7131 on: March 20, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
Do smoke/fire detectors have to be installed on the ceiling and horizontally?  I would like to put some on the wall, vertically (close to the ceiling but not on it).

Yes, they can and here is some basic guidelines for installing.
http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?categoryID=1648&itemID=39907&URL=Safety%20Information/For%20consumers/Fire%20&%20safety%20equipment/Smoke%20alarms/Installation%20and%20maintenance%20tips&cookie%5Ftest=1

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7132 on: March 20, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »

All my life, in all my homes, I have always had fire/smoke detectors on the walls, very close to the ceiling but not on the actual ceiling. They have always operated well. You do want them high though, since smoke and heat rise.

DaisyG

« Reply #7133 on: March 20, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »

They are really easy to use, these ones (specifically) bend, both parts.  They haven't broke on me yet, and they're decorative enough to look professional.  I've used them to hold curly hair, pin straight hair, thin hair, buns, french twists and ponytails (half and full).

Are these like the flexi-8 (www.flexi8.com)? I've been meaning to get one of those but they're quite expensive for me. Also I'm a bit apprehensive about sizing as the website doesn't seem to take into account different lengths of hair (and mine is just past my waist).

I have also learned other hair styles from Youtube and would recommend searching on there for the Nautilus bun which after some practice goes up in minutes with just one stick.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7134 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »

This is actually recommended.  Smoke and fire tend to crawl up the walls first then spread over the ceiling so it is better to have them on the wall.  My local fire departement recommends having them just outside all sleeping areas, as well as at least one on each floor somewhere.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #7135 on: March 20, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »

Are these like the flexi-8 (www.flexi8.com)? I've been meaning to get one of those but they're quite expensive for me. Also I'm a bit apprehensive about sizing as the website doesn't seem to take into account different lengths of hair (and mine is just past my waist).

I have also learned other hair styles from Youtube and would recommend searching on there for the Nautilus bun which after some practice goes up in minutes with just one stick.

Kind of, but better, IMO.  These come in one size, but can be bent to accommodate different amounts of hair and different styles.  I have thick hair that's at my waist and I have no trouble using them.  They hold my hair really well.

ETA: Apparently they come in different sizes.  :)  I use the medium size, but if you had more hair, then the large would work.  Like I said, though, they can be bent which makes it really easy to use them.  Both the stick and the hairpiece bends.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:56:10 PM by Morrigan »

Betelnut

« Reply #7136 on: March 20, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for answering the smoke detector question.  I hate balancing on a ladder to change the batteries--having them high up but not ON the ceiling will help.

"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

mandycorn

« Reply #7137 on: March 20, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
I have a pearl necklace my grandmother gave me that I recently discovered can be worn with business casual clothes without looking silly (I'd always been a little afraid of it before).

It's a string of pearls in graduated sizes, on some sort of string. It's knotted between the pearls, so if it breaks, I wouldn't lose all of them (thank heavens!).

My main question is how should I take care of them, now that I'm going to be wearing them more? I know I should check the string to make sure it isn't fraying anywhere and make sure I don't get perfume or makeup on them. Does anybody have any tips on cleaning them (how often, using what products, how do I dry them, etc)? Is there anything else I should know?

I'm going to Google also, but I'd rather ask the opinions of people I know, instead of stumbling blindly around the wilds of the internet.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7138 on: March 20, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
I wear pearls all the time and don't do anything but put them on and take them off. :) But mine are all on chains, not strings, so I'd think examining the string periodically for wear would be a good idea. You'll love wearing them! They're so versatile and always look classy.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7139 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
Take them off when you get home and run a microfiber cloth over them, just to remove the oils and any residue. Pearls shouldn't need more cleaning than this and you should avoid chemical cleaners (I am leery even of those "pearl safe" cleaners).

Avoid getting the necklace wet, as silk will stretch when wet. If it does get wet, place it on a clean towel and let dry for several day since it takes a while for the humidity at the center of the pearl to make its way out.