Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058610 times)

Bluenomi

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7140 on: March 20, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »
You can get pearl necklaces restrung and they recommend you do it every now and again (I think at least every 10 years is standard but it depends on how much you wear them). I have my mother's pearls and got the restrung before my wedding since they hadn't been done for 20 years or so. It doesn't cost much, I think I paid less than $50 for mine.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7141 on: March 20, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
You can also do it yourself. It isn't hard and although it takes a little time, it can easily be done in front of the tv. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7142 on: March 20, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
I learned how to string pearls last year and have made a few necklaces since.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7143 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
Thanks KenveeB and lady_disdain, that's exactly what I needed to know! :D

I lent them to my sister to wear for her wedding and since then, I've always thought of them as off limits for normal day-to-day wear, but I'm giving it a shot and so far, I'm really loving it!

Just remember that storing pearls for long periods without proper ventilation can be damaging.  They can dry out.  The saying is "Pearls want to be worn."

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7144 on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »
So I'm relatively new to home ownership and I had my first major toilet incident this weekend. I called a recommended plumber who said my particular toilet is a weird brand with irregularly shaped parts and he might not be able to find the right one. If he can, it would cost $175 for the part and the repair. If he can't, I'd have to buy a new toilet ($150ish) and he could install it for another $150. Since he couldn't do anything right away, he didn't charge me for the visit.

While talking with a more experienced friend last night, he said the prices sound right but if it comes to a new toilet, he could install it for me for free. If I suddenly change my mind, do I risk alienating the plumber, who I might want to use in the future? Should I offer to pay him for his time so far?

I don't think you need to worry about alienating the plumber.  There are a million plumbers out there, so if this one gets his nose bent out of shape because you opted for the most economical plan of action (and who wouldn't?), then just find a different plumber.

Installing a toilet is not difficult.  If you have a friend who is willing to help you, I think it's smart to save the $150.

Thanks for the advice guys! I didn't want to step on anybody's toes. When my plumber called to say he couldn't find the part, I thanked him for the help and said I would install a new toilet myself. He wished me luck and said I should call if I have any future problems.

Home Depot had a sale on a good model for $100 tonight and my gym-loving neighbor was hanging outside so I offered him a beer and some brownies to get the thing out of my car and up the stairs. I picked up a six pack of my friend's favorite beer for tomorrow and I'm starting a double batch of brownies to split between the two guys.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7145 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
Brownies and beer are the sure way to find some helpful friends! Yay, mbbored!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7146 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
Definitely sure to get you some brownie points, eh?  Ehhhh?

Okay, I know the way out...

(Bonus funny: The first time I typed "brownie points", I accidentally omitted the w...)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7147 on: March 21, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"This is actually recommended.  Smoke and fire tend to crawl up the walls first then spread over the ceiling so it is better to have them on the wall.  My local fire departement recommends having them just outside all sleeping areas, as well as at least one on each floor somewhere."

It's not unsafe to mount them on the wall but it's safest to mount them on the ceiling.  You're right that smoke tends to climb walls, but think about how this would affect the smoke alarm if the smoke was climbing a wall other than the on on which the alarm is mounted.  It would have to cross the whole ceiling and fill the room down to the alarm to trigger it, and seconds count in a fire.  Considering that changing the batteries is a twice a year endeavor, I'd put them on the ceiling unless there was some reason not to do it.

Virg

that_one_girl

« Reply #7148 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »
woohoo!  I might have to do the happy dance because I made it through this whole thread!
I have come up with some really random questions (some stupider than others) along the way.

1. Why do dogs have a little extra flap of skin at the lower corner of the ear?  It is like a double layered little bit on only the bottom part of the ear.  Am I making any sense?

2. Why does the ice from the ice-maker inside my freezer freeze all together in the catch-tray? Can this be prevented?  It is a pain in the butt and I have actually broken catch-trays trying to dislodge enough ice to put in my water bottle.

3. What exactly is a “quid”?  I know it's some kind of Britsy term relating to money, but I'm not quite sure what exactly it is.  Is it a coin?

4. When I tell my husband to keep the door shut so the flies won’t get in in the summer, he responds with "flies come from fruit".  Is this accurate?  (I am talking about the bigger flies with the red eyes which I believe are called "Blowflies" and not the little ones which I think are called "Drosophila/Fruit flies".

5. Similarly, I was chewed out by my FIL for having a stack of old cereal boxes and pizza boxes stacked in the corner of the kitchen waiting for hubby to take them to the recycling center. FIL says that cockroaches come from having cardboard boxes around.  Is this accurate?  I worked fast food for years. There were never roaches around either the inside storage areas (freezer/refrigerator/dry-storage) where the food was stored in cardboard boxes or the dumpster where we disposed of said boxes whenever they were empty.

6. Why do I like to use a fork to put my dressing/dip on my salad/chips?  I've had more weird looks for dipping my fork in my dressing before stabbing my salad than for using chopsticks to eat said salad.   Am I just crazy?

7. Would it damage a child to encourage them to be ambidextrous?  Not trying to spark a flame war here, just wondering if I had children and encouraged them saying things like, "Ok, can you write that letter with your other hand too?" if it would scar them for life.

8. Is it possible to become ambidextrous as an adult?  Ever since I injured my hand in high school, I've wondered if it would be a waste of time for me to try to train myself to write with both hands.

I do wish that this thread was actually a category in the forum, so that way the questions could be sorted in categories and each question could be its own topic.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7149 on: March 22, 2013, 08:58:49 PM »
1.  Don't know, though I know exactly what about you're talking.

2.  Don't know, maybe it's too shallow for how much water goes in, so the tops freeze together.

3.  It is like Americans saying "buck"; it means a pound.  "May I borrow 30 bucks" is to "May I borrow 30 dollars" as "May I borrow 30 quid" is to "May I borrow 30 pounds"/

4.  He's wrong and you're right.  Everything has to get into the house somehow, whether we carry them/their eggs in with our food or they come in through the door when it is left open.

5.  Same as above.  They're not going to spontaneously arrive because of boxes; they or their eggs have to be carried in somehow.

6.  No clue.

7.  I don't think so; I think it could actually be a benefit to creativity and being adaptive.

8.  Yes, you can train yourself, though it may take awhile.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Coruscation

« Reply #7150 on: March 22, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
5. I have read that cockroaches are attracted to cardboard (or possibly the glue) and will eat it, so you should store things in plastic containers, not shoeboxes if you want to keep pests out of them. This may be what he is referencing.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7151 on: March 22, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
2. Why does the ice from the ice-maker inside my freezer freeze all together in the catch-tray? Can this be prevented?  It is a pain in the butt and I have actually broken catch-trays trying to dislodge enough ice to put in my water bottle.

Your ice is melting together, so to prevent this, make your freezer colder or open it less/for less time.

4. When I tell my husband to keep the door shut so the flies won’t get in in the summer, he responds with "flies come from fruit".  Is this accurate?  (I am talking about the bigger flies with the red eyes which I believe are called "Blowflies" and not the little ones which I think are called "Drosophila/Fruit flies".

I suppose there could be fly eggs on your fruit from where ever you buy it from, but they are most likely to be those tiny fruit flies not big black flies. But its not like fruit magically sprouts flies, the only way your fruit is bringing in flies is if there are fly eggs on the fruit or the fruit is over ripe and attracting flies from outside.

5. Similarly, I was chewed out by my FIL for having a stack of old cereal boxes and pizza boxes stacked in the corner of the kitchen waiting for hubby to take them to the recycling center. FIL says that cockroaches come from having cardboard boxes around.  Is this accurate?  I worked fast food for years. There were never roaches around either the inside storage areas (freezer/refrigerator/dry-storage) where the food was stored in cardboard boxes or the dumpster where we disposed of said boxes whenever they were empty.

Again, boxes don't magically sprout roaches. The boxes could host eggs, if they come from somewhere infested (and indeed a grocery store or pizzeria could be infested). If you already have roaches though, they do like cardboard a whole lot, so often piles of cardboard is associated with roaches. If you don't have roaches and trust the source of your boxes though, no worries.

6. Why do I like to use a fork to put my dressing/dip on my salad/chips?  I've had more weird looks for dipping my fork in my dressing before stabbing my salad than for using chopsticks to eat said salad.   Am I just crazy?

Only you can answer why you like to do it. But its not so weird or crazy. This is a tactic often suggested for weight loss as you get less dressing per biteful, yet the flavor of dressing in every bite. I've read to do this as a suggestion at least half a dozen times in magazines and at Weight Watchers.

7. Would it damage a child to encourage them to be ambidextrous?  Not trying to spark a flame war here, just wondering if I had children and encouraged them saying things like, "Ok, can you write that letter with your other hand too?" if it would scar them for life.

8. Is it possible to become ambidextrous as an adult?  Ever since I injured my hand in high school, I've wondered if it would be a waste of time for me to try to train myself to write with both hands.

Its not damaging to encourage or practice use of a non-dominant hand. Its good. But I don't think you can become actually ambidextrous, I think a person will still have a naturally inclined dominate hand.  Its just that they will be very adept at using their non-dominant hand.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:24:27 PM by WillyNilly »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7152 on: March 22, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
woohoo!  I might have to do the happy dance because I made it through this whole thread!
I have come up with some really random questions (some stupider than others) along the way.

1. Why do dogs have a little extra flap of skin at the lower corner of the ear?  It is like a double layered little bit on only the bottom part of the ear.  Am I making any sense?
We have that flap too, earlobes.  Ours serve only as a place to wear earrings; the same flap on cats marks the place to tickle to make them twitch their ears.

Because it's a frost-free freezer.  Those work by occasionally injecting warm air into the freezer, just enough to vaporize the frost but not enough to thaw the food.  It IS enough to create a very thin film of water on your ice cubes. (It will also suck moisture out of imperfectly wrapped food, creating freezer burn.) As this thin film of water freezes again (and again, and again) it sticks the ice cubes together.  Unless you are under severe water rationing, just dump the mass of stuck-together ice cubes into the sink once a week or so, just before you go to bed, and make sure the ice maker is on.  Fresh ice in the morning!  (If you ARE under severe water rationing, dump them into a bucket and use it to flush the toilet in the morning or something.)

Does he think that the flies are spontaneously generated from the fruit? ??? That one was disproved centuries ago!  As PP have said, you let them in or bring in their eggs on things.  Fruit fly eggs are all but invisible to the naked eye, so it's easier to do. 

Not at all!  You get the taste of the dressing without consuming the calories of gobs and gobs of it.  I tell DH that it's call 'dip' because you are supposed to insert the chips and then remove them, not use them as shovels to convey large quantities of dip to the mouth!

Forcing a child to use the non-dominant hand can cause things like stuttering, but I can't see how encouraging him to try it once in a while would hurt.  Many children are ambidextrous naturally, but when schools get hold of them, they lose that ability.  If you aren't strongly left-handed, teacher tells you to use your right hand to write, draw, throw a baseball, etc.,  and that ability gradually atrophies.

It can't hurt to try.  I was one of those naturally ambidextrous kids, and over  the last few years I've tried to regain as much of it as possible.   Writing is still beyond me, though -- I mirror-write with my left hand!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

that_one_girl

« Reply #7153 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »

2.  Don't know, maybe it's too shallow for how much water goes in, so the tops freeze together.

They are solid, separate cubes when they fall into the tray.  Only afterwards do they stick together in a huge clump.  It is truely maddening!

that_one_girl

« Reply #7154 on: March 22, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
Does he think that the flies are spontaneously generated from the fruit? ??? That one was disproved centuries ago!  As PP have said, you let them in or bring in their eggs on things.  Fruit fly eggs are all but invisible to the naked eye, so it's easier to do. 

yes, he actually thinks that the larger flies randomly appear because I have a bunch of bananas sitting on the counter in a bowl ... *facepalm* men!