Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 970854 times)

Carotte

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7410 on: April 16, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
I have just realised that the onions I buy never make me cry, they have absolutely no tear power.
It's been at least a few months, I guess I got used to be imune to onions because I used to year contact, but I don't anymore. I got reminded of the 'onions makes you cry' this week end while away, so dealing with onions bought elsewhere.
Both my tear-free and the other one where yellow onions. I store mine in the fridge, not sure about the one from this week-end

So my question is, did I discovered the source of magical tear-free onions? Is this common but no one knows about it? (that there are tear-free onions out there).
My SO hadn't realised either, and as far as I know, tear-free onions taste pretty oniony to me, I mean, they taste the same as a normal onion.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7411 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
I have just realised that the onions I buy never make me cry, they have absolutely no tear power.
It's been at least a few months, I guess I got used to be imune to onions because I used to year contact, but I don't anymore. I got reminded of the 'onions makes you cry' this week end while away, so dealing with onions bought elsewhere.
Both my tear-free and the other one where yellow onions. I store mine in the fridge, not sure about the one from this week-end

So my question is, did I discovered the source of magical tear-free onions? Is this common but no one knows about it? (that there are tear-free onions out there).
My SO hadn't realised either, and as far as I know, tear-free onions taste pretty oniony to me, I mean, they taste the same as a normal onion.
You are, accidentally, doing what the National Onion Association (who knew such a thing existed??) tells you to do to avoid tears.

http://www.onions-usa.org/faqs

Carotte

« Reply #7412 on: April 16, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »

You are, accidentally, doing what the National Onion Association (who knew such a thing existed??) tells you to do to avoid tears.

http://www.onions-usa.org/faqs

The one I just used was room temperature and still nada (but still spent a week or more in the fridge). Maybe I just found the holy-grail of tear-free onions..

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7413 on: April 16, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
I always store my onions in the fridge and never have a problem with tearing. Room temperature ones will cause tears.

Also, I was always taught to not cut through the end with the hairs/roots. I can't remember the last time an onion caused me to tear up.

CuriousParty

« Reply #7414 on: April 16, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Do you wear contacts?  When I have my contacts in - no tears. Glasses? Floodgates.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7415 on: April 16, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
Texas and Georgia have areas where the soil is sulfur free.

The onions grown in those areas are tear free and called "sweet" onions.

Texas Sweet and Vidalia (Georgia) are the trade names.  There may be other patches of sulfur free soil around the world where tear free onions can be grown, I don't know.

In the meantime, I love sweet onions!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Betelnut

« Reply #7416 on: April 17, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »
My yard is very bumpy with trenches about 2-3 inches deep in some spots.  Is it possible for me to "even out" the yard very gradually by simply buying a bag of soil every once in a while and tamping it into the the rougher spots? 
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7417 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
Betelnut wrote:

"My yard is very bumpy with trenches about 2-3 inches deep in some spots.  Is it possible for me to "even out" the yard very gradually by simply buying a bag of soil every once in a while and tamping it into the the rougher spots?"

Yes, but to fill inches-deep trenches (assuming that they're of any real length or width) would take years doing it this way.  It'll go faster if you do it all at once but then you'll have to grow grass on top.  If you want to avoid replanting and growing new grass (which could cause visible striping) you could always get a sod spade, cut the grass out of the low spots, fill them and then relay the sod.

Virg

Calistoga

« Reply #7418 on: April 17, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
Why is the snooze on most alarms 9 minutes? Why not an even 10?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7419 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
My yard is very bumpy with trenches about 2-3 inches deep in some spots.  Is it possible for me to "even out" the yard very gradually by simply buying a bag of soil every once in a while and tamping it into the the rougher spots?

Yeah but it'll take a long time and a lot of dirt. Can you get a roto-tiller anywhere (borrow, rent)? You could then use a rake and even it all out. It'd be one or two days of much more work, but it'd be done quicker and the dirt and everything that you grow in it would be better off/healthier afterwards.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7420 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
Why is the snooze on most alarms 9 minutes? Why not an even 10?

Straight Dope researches it this way (their best guess):

Back in the pre-digital days, when ALL clocks were analog (so you knew when it was time to feed your dinosaur), the snooze alarm used was... imprecise.  It basically gave nine-plus-but-close-to-ten minutes.  When we obtained the precision of digital, they wanted to include snooze, and the extra seconds got dropped, so it became nine minutes flat.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7421 on: April 17, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »
That brings up another stupid question:

What is the Snooze Alarm for? I see it, but don't know what it is.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7422 on: April 17, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »

To let you catch a few more winks before waking up, without having to program the alarm again (thus waking up for sure).

It doesn't work for me, but it works *wonders* for M.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7423 on: April 17, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »

When your alarm rings and you want to stay in bed for a few minutes, you hit the snooze button instead of turning off the alarm. It will stay silent for nine minutes and then the alarm will go off again. That way you don't fully turn off the alarm and then fall back asleep again and oversleep. (Theoretically, anyway. I never have a problem falling back asleep.)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Calistoga

« Reply #7424 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
We use ours to wake up in steps. Each time it goes off, we wake up a little bit more...so instead of having to be awake and useful right away, we have about half an hour of gradual hiccups in to awakeness.