Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 846411 times)

JoW

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7410 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:09 AM »
How do people manage to go to the gym after work then cook dinner without starving to death or eating super late?....
I eat at one of the fast food places near the gym, or I get take out.  If the weather is threatening I'll go home and make a grilled cheese sandwich.  Other people in my class have spouses who cook dinner.   

Vall

« Reply #7411 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
How do people manage to go to the gym after work then cook dinner without starving to death or eating super late?

If I head straight to the gym from work, I get there at 5:30. Work out for an hour then get home around 7. By the time I walk the dog (I live in a condo, no yard) and cook dinner, it's almost 8. And by then I'm going crazy with hunger. Most evenings if I don't have leftovers, I end up eating scrambled eggs for dinner.

I've never belonged to a gym and my DH does all of our cooking.  But on days when he has errands after work or thinks he may have to work late, he just throws some stuff in the crock pot before he leaves for work.  When he gets home, dinner is hot and ready.  He loves the convenience of our slow cooker which has a setting so it will automatically switch to "warm" when the timer goes off.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7412 on: April 16, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »
It can also depend on when people eat their lunch. I have a late lunch around 2 pm so even without going to the gym, I still don't eat dinner until about 7. There are plenty of sports drinks too that provide sugar and carbs while working out. Those would help stave off hunger.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

mandycorn

« Reply #7413 on: April 16, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
Based on the wrappers I picked up from around the treadmill before I started my workout yesterday (grumble) Snickers bars are good too.

I'm running into this same issue, but I'm mostly balancing it by cooking a lot on non-gym days so I have reasonably healthy leftovers to heat up on gym days.

It was so much easier when I lived with my folks because my mom would time it to have dinner ready just as my Dad and I got home from the gym. Not having anyone else to cook for me is definitely my least favorite part of living alone.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7414 on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
Based on the wrappers I picked up from around the treadmill before I started my workout yesterday (grumble) Snickers bars are good too.

I'm running into this same issue, but I'm mostly balancing it by cooking a lot on non-gym days so I have reasonably healthy leftovers to heat up on gym days.

It was so much easier when I lived with my folks because my mom would time it to have dinner ready just as my Dad and I got home from the gym. Not having anyone else to cook for me is definitely my least favorite part of living alone.

Amen to that! I tend to cook once a week and one or two things that has 4-8 servings. I portion it into individual servings and put it in the fridge. I also prepare all my salad ingredients in advance and have them in ziplock baggies -- pre-torn lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, etc. That way I just reheat the leftovers, pull together a salad while it's in the microwave, and have a good meal in no time. :)

Carotte

« Reply #7415 on: April 16, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
I have just realised that the onions I buy never make me cry, they have absolutely no tear power.
It's been at least a few months, I guess I got used to be imune to onions because I used to year contact, but I don't anymore. I got reminded of the 'onions makes you cry' this week end while away, so dealing with onions bought elsewhere.
Both my tear-free and the other one where yellow onions. I store mine in the fridge, not sure about the one from this week-end

So my question is, did I discovered the source of magical tear-free onions? Is this common but no one knows about it? (that there are tear-free onions out there).
My SO hadn't realised either, and as far as I know, tear-free onions taste pretty oniony to me, I mean, they taste the same as a normal onion.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7416 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
I have just realised that the onions I buy never make me cry, they have absolutely no tear power.
It's been at least a few months, I guess I got used to be imune to onions because I used to year contact, but I don't anymore. I got reminded of the 'onions makes you cry' this week end while away, so dealing with onions bought elsewhere.
Both my tear-free and the other one where yellow onions. I store mine in the fridge, not sure about the one from this week-end

So my question is, did I discovered the source of magical tear-free onions? Is this common but no one knows about it? (that there are tear-free onions out there).
My SO hadn't realised either, and as far as I know, tear-free onions taste pretty oniony to me, I mean, they taste the same as a normal onion.
You are, accidentally, doing what the National Onion Association (who knew such a thing existed??) tells you to do to avoid tears.

http://www.onions-usa.org/faqs

Carotte

« Reply #7417 on: April 16, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »

You are, accidentally, doing what the National Onion Association (who knew such a thing existed??) tells you to do to avoid tears.

http://www.onions-usa.org/faqs

The one I just used was room temperature and still nada (but still spent a week or more in the fridge). Maybe I just found the holy-grail of tear-free onions..

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7418 on: April 16, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
I always store my onions in the fridge and never have a problem with tearing. Room temperature ones will cause tears.

Also, I was always taught to not cut through the end with the hairs/roots. I can't remember the last time an onion caused me to tear up.

CuriousParty

« Reply #7419 on: April 16, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Do you wear contacts?  When I have my contacts in - no tears. Glasses? Floodgates.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7420 on: April 16, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
Texas and Georgia have areas where the soil is sulfur free.

The onions grown in those areas are tear free and called "sweet" onions.

Texas Sweet and Vidalia (Georgia) are the trade names.  There may be other patches of sulfur free soil around the world where tear free onions can be grown, I don't know.

In the meantime, I love sweet onions!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Betelnut

« Reply #7421 on: April 17, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »
My yard is very bumpy with trenches about 2-3 inches deep in some spots.  Is it possible for me to "even out" the yard very gradually by simply buying a bag of soil every once in a while and tamping it into the the rougher spots? 
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7422 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
Betelnut wrote:

"My yard is very bumpy with trenches about 2-3 inches deep in some spots.  Is it possible for me to "even out" the yard very gradually by simply buying a bag of soil every once in a while and tamping it into the the rougher spots?"

Yes, but to fill inches-deep trenches (assuming that they're of any real length or width) would take years doing it this way.  It'll go faster if you do it all at once but then you'll have to grow grass on top.  If you want to avoid replanting and growing new grass (which could cause visible striping) you could always get a sod spade, cut the grass out of the low spots, fill them and then relay the sod.

Virg

Calistoga

« Reply #7423 on: April 17, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
Why is the snooze on most alarms 9 minutes? Why not an even 10?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7424 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
My yard is very bumpy with trenches about 2-3 inches deep in some spots.  Is it possible for me to "even out" the yard very gradually by simply buying a bag of soil every once in a while and tamping it into the the rougher spots?

Yeah but it'll take a long time and a lot of dirt. Can you get a roto-tiller anywhere (borrow, rent)? You could then use a rake and even it all out. It'd be one or two days of much more work, but it'd be done quicker and the dirt and everything that you grow in it would be better off/healthier afterwards.