Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1089049 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7440 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
The name Fiona was supposedly started in Scotland or so I've read. Is it Scottish or Scottish-Gaelic? if the former, does it have a Scottish-Gaelic equivalent, and if so, what is it? I am putting this under stupid questions because I should have been about to figure this out myself but my google-fu in this area is lacking.
It's Gaelic. And good on you for knowing the difference between Scots and Gaelic!  (That's a book peeve of mine, when authors don't know the difference.)

You're lucky we don't just call you all "England" and be done with it  :P  (Because UK = Britain = England, right?)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7441 on: April 18, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »
The name Fiona was supposedly started in Scotland or so I've read. Is it Scottish or Scottish-Gaelic? if the former, does it have a Scottish-Gaelic equivalent, and if so, what is it? I am putting this under stupid questions because I should have been about to figure this out myself but my google-fu in this area is lacking.
It's Gaelic. And good on you for knowing the difference between Scots and Gaelic!  (That's a book peeve of mine, when authors don't know the difference.)

You're lucky we don't just call you all "England" and be done with it  :P  (Because UK = Britain = England, right?)

Britain (Great)=the island comprising England, Scotland, and Wales.
United Kingdom=England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland
England=part of G.B.

Couldn't tell if you were joking or asking ;).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7442 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »

Britain (Great)=the island comprising England, Scotland, and Wales.
United Kingdom=England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland
England=part of G.B.

Couldn't tell if you were joking or asking ;).

Mostly joking - it's come up on here before  :) - but also half-serious in that many Americans would be hard-pressed to tell you the difference.  Then again, many Americans think that New Mexico is a different country and that they can drive from California to Hawaii, so that doesn't say much  :P

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7443 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:15 AM »
stichygreyanonymouse wrote:

"We do have government-sponsored health insurance in most states that will cover children in low-income families, but once you hit 19, it is much more difficult to qualify for those programs—which is unfortunate for college athletes."

Most college athletes can get reasonable health insurance through the school.  Given that most college level athletes who can't afford their own coverage are there on grants or scholarships, it's often covered as part of the package.  It'd be a rare college team that would allow an athlete to participate without coverage due to liability issues.

Virg

True, I’m sure that college teams make sure that their competitive team athletes have coverage. The health insurance available to college students at large their schools is laughable, however, if you have any need for it beyond basic trips to the on-campus health center (that is, nothing relating to broken bones or other sports-related injuries). Which means athletes that participate in intramurals or inter-collegiate but non-sanctioned sports may be out of luck (for instance cycling, crew, or rugby, depending on the college or university).

Unfortunately, many don't. And if they get so badly injured during a game that they can't continue to play? Too bad, so sad. Say good bye to your scholarship and don't hope for any money for follow-up medical care.

CakeBeret

« Reply #7444 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
What do you do when you have a piece of sushi that is too big to eat in one bite?

I run into this a lot. I have a small mouth and signature sushi rolls in my area tend to be cut into huge pieces. I had a roll the other night that was nearly 2.5" in diameter and each piece was an inch thick. The sushi is almost always wrapped with tough seaweed, so if I try to just take a bite off it, half the time I end up unable to sever the seaweed and end up gauchely decimating it mid-bite. Should I ask for a fork and knife, and try to cut it into smaller pieces? Just put the whole roll in my mouth anyway and cover my mouth with a napkin while I eat?

"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7445 on: April 19, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
You should find a sushi place that makes good bite sized pieces, IMO.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7446 on: April 19, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »
What do you do when you have a piece of sushi that is too big to eat in one bite?

I run into this a lot. I have a small mouth and signature sushi rolls in my area tend to be cut into huge pieces. I had a roll the other night that was nearly 2.5" in diameter and each piece was an inch thick. The sushi is almost always wrapped with tough seaweed, so if I try to just take a bite off it, half the time I end up unable to sever the seaweed and end up gauchely decimating it mid-bite. Should I ask for a fork and knife, and try to cut it into smaller pieces? Just put the whole roll in my mouth anyway and cover my mouth with a napkin while I eat?

I have the same problem.  Try asking the chef to cut the roll into smaller pieces. My favorite sushi place calls it "lady bites" which makes me giggle because it sounds slightly naughty.   ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7447 on: April 19, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »

Okay now I'm curious.  What's the difference between Scottish and Scottish-Gaelic? 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7448 on: April 19, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

I have the same problem.  Try asking the chef to cut the roll into smaller pieces. My favorite sushi place calls it "lady bites" which makes me giggle because it sounds slightly naughty.   ;D
I used to watch the Japanese version of Iron Chef.  Whenever there was a large piece of food that was meant to be one bite, the ladies would put it in and then hold their hand in front of their mouth while they chewed.

Edited to fix quotes
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:07:23 PM by Outdoor Girl »
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

that_one_girl

« Reply #7449 on: April 19, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »

I would find a place that made smaller rolls or ask the chef to make yours smaller. 
You could always order the hand-rolls, since they are large, but look like an ice-cream cone and are pretty much devoured in the same manner.

snowdragon

« Reply #7450 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »

you can either cut it our take bites out of it. There is no need to shove the entire thing in your mouth. :)

ETA: My own question. Has anyone used a couch to 5k app. A friend of mine and I were talking about them and neither of us is willing to buy one if the don't tell you when to switch from walking to running. She's ready to start running now - but could use some advice on how they work.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:09:14 PM by snowdragon »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7451 on: April 20, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »
My own question. Has anyone used a couch to 5k app. A friend of mine and I were talking about them and neither of us is willing to buy one if the don't tell you when to switch from walking to running. She's ready to start running now - but could use some advice on how they work.

I haven't done Couch to 5k so I can't answer, but there have been a few running threads recently:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=126899.0
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=125499.0

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7452 on: April 20, 2013, 02:07:49 AM »

Okay now I'm curious.  What's the difference between Scottish and Scottish-Gaelic?
They're from entirely different language families.  Scots (AKA Lallans) is a dialect/cousin language of English, which is descended from Germanic.  Gaelic is a descendent of Celtic.  You have to go clear back to Indo-European to find a common ancestor.

As a comparison, here is the Lord's Prayer in both Middle Scots (c. 1520) and Scottish Gaelic:

LORD'S PRAYER

Our fader that art in heuenis,
 hallewit be thi name.
 Thi kingdom cum to.
 Thi wil be done in erde, as in heuen.
 Gefe to vs this day our breid ouer vthir substance.
 And forgif to vs our dettis,
 as we forgef to our dettouris.
 And leid vs nocht into temptatioun,
 bot deliuer vs fra euile.

Amen.

Urnaigh an Tighearna:
Ar n-Athair a tha air nèamh, gu naomhaichear d'ainm.
Thigeadh do rìochachd. Dèanar do thoil air an talamh, mar a nìthear air nèamh.
Tabhair dhuinn an-diugh ar n-aran làitheil. Agus maith dhuinn ar fiachan, amhail a mhaitheas sinne dar luchd-fiach.
Agus na leig ann am buaireadh sinn; ach saor sinn o olc;
oir is leatsa an rìoghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a' ghlòir, gu sìorraidh.
Amen.

You can see how Scots resembles English, but there's nothing recognizable in the Gaelic for us monolinguists.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Coruscation

« Reply #7453 on: April 20, 2013, 04:49:03 AM »

you can either cut it our take bites out of it. There is no need to shove the entire thing in your mouth. :)

ETA: My own question. Has anyone used a couch to 5k app. A friend of mine and I were talking about them and neither of us is willing to buy one if the don't tell you when to switch from walking to running. She's ready to start running now - but could use some advice on how they work.

Yes, they do, in fact, you can play your music and it pauses it to say "Start running now." then resumes play.

Iris

« Reply #7454 on: April 20, 2013, 06:00:45 AM »
New stupid question - My understanding (such as it is) is that in colder areas of the US people have basements so that the area around their water pipes is warm and they don't freeze in winter. Is that right? If so, my stupid question is - what about the mains water before it reaches the house? What stops that from freezing?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.