Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 841894 times)

snowdragon

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7455 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »
What do you do when you have a piece of sushi that is too big to eat in one bite?

I run into this a lot. I have a small mouth and signature sushi rolls in my area tend to be cut into huge pieces. I had a roll the other night that was nearly 2.5" in diameter and each piece was an inch thick. The sushi is almost always wrapped with tough seaweed, so if I try to just take a bite off it, half the time I end up unable to sever the seaweed and end up gauchely decimating it mid-bite. Should I ask for a fork and knife, and try to cut it into smaller pieces? Just put the whole roll in my mouth anyway and cover my mouth with a napkin while I eat?

you can either cut it our take bites out of it. There is no need to shove the entire thing in your mouth. :)

ETA: My own question. Has anyone used a couch to 5k app. A friend of mine and I were talking about them and neither of us is willing to buy one if the don't tell you when to switch from walking to running. She's ready to start running now - but could use some advice on how they work.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:09:14 PM by snowdragon »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7456 on: April 20, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »
My own question. Has anyone used a couch to 5k app. A friend of mine and I were talking about them and neither of us is willing to buy one if the don't tell you when to switch from walking to running. She's ready to start running now - but could use some advice on how they work.

I haven't done Couch to 5k so I can't answer, but there have been a few running threads recently:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=126899.0
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=125499.0

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #7457 on: April 20, 2013, 02:07:49 AM »
The name Fiona was supposedly started in Scotland or so I've read. Is it Scottish or Scottish-Gaelic? if the former, does it have a Scottish-Gaelic equivalent, and if so, what is it? I am putting this under stupid questions because I should have been about to figure this out myself but my google-fu in this area is lacking.
It's Gaelic. And good on you for knowing the difference between Scots and Gaelic!  (That's a book peeve of mine, when authors don't know the difference.)

Okay now I'm curious.  What's the difference between Scottish and Scottish-Gaelic?
They're from entirely different language families.  Scots (AKA Lallans) is a dialect/cousin language of English, which is descended from Germanic.  Gaelic is a descendent of Celtic.  You have to go clear back to Indo-European to find a common ancestor.

As a comparison, here is the Lord's Prayer in both Middle Scots (c. 1520) and Scottish Gaelic:

LORD'S PRAYER

Our fader that art in heuenis,
 hallewit be thi name.
 Thi kingdom cum to.
 Thi wil be done in erde, as in heuen.
 Gefe to vs this day our breid ouer vthir substance.
 And forgif to vs our dettis,
 as we forgef to our dettouris.
 And leid vs nocht into temptatioun,
 bot deliuer vs fra euile.

Amen.

Urnaigh an Tighearna:
Ar n-Athair a tha air nčamh, gu naomhaichear d'ainm.
Thigeadh do rěochachd. Dčanar do thoil air an talamh, mar a něthear air nčamh.
Tabhair dhuinn an-diugh ar n-aran lŕitheil. Agus maith dhuinn ar fiachan, amhail a mhaitheas sinne dar luchd-fiach.
Agus na leig ann am buaireadh sinn; ach saor sinn o olc;
oir is leatsa an rěoghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a' ghlňir, gu sěorraidh.
Amen.

You can see how Scots resembles English, but there's nothing recognizable in the Gaelic for us monolinguists.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Coruscation

« Reply #7458 on: April 20, 2013, 04:49:03 AM »

you can either cut it our take bites out of it. There is no need to shove the entire thing in your mouth. :)

ETA: My own question. Has anyone used a couch to 5k app. A friend of mine and I were talking about them and neither of us is willing to buy one if the don't tell you when to switch from walking to running. She's ready to start running now - but could use some advice on how they work.

Yes, they do, in fact, you can play your music and it pauses it to say "Start running now." then resumes play.

Iris

« Reply #7459 on: April 20, 2013, 06:00:45 AM »
New stupid question - My understanding (such as it is) is that in colder areas of the US people have basements so that the area around their water pipes is warm and they don't freeze in winter. Is that right? If so, my stupid question is - what about the mains water before it reaches the house? What stops that from freezing?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Octavia

« Reply #7460 on: April 20, 2013, 06:26:49 AM »
New stupid question - My understanding (such as it is) is that in colder areas of the US people have basements so that the area around their water pipes is warm and they don't freeze in winter. Is that right? If so, my stupid question is - what about the mains water before it reaches the house? What stops that from freezing?
I live in the Midwestern US. Some have basements and some do not. What keeps the water lines from freezing is that they are buried below the frost line, where it is too deep for the ground to freeze. The depth of the frost line varies on location and typically gets deeper the further north one lives. It's about three feet below ground level in my area. The service water line for my home comes underneath the home and up into my laundry room. So the small part of the pipe that is above the frost line won't freeze either because it gets some warmth from the house above it.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

JoW

« Reply #7461 on: April 20, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »

Actually, its for more than just pipes.

The foundation of any structure needs to extend below the frost line.  The ground shifts a little when the water in it freezes and thaws.  The house is more stable if the foundation goes below that. 

Where I live the frost line is at about 3.5 feet.  My foundation has to extend at least to 4 feet.  If you have to dig that deep anyway you might as well go to 6 feet and get some extra usable space in the house.  That space is perfect for the furnace and the water heater.  My area gets tornadoes, so most people have a room in the basement where they can hide when a tornado is in the area.  Thats another reason to have a basement. 

And yes, my water line enters the house through the basement.  It keeps the water in the line from freezing. 

Carotte

« Reply #7462 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
I need to patch up some pockets tha have holes, the last few I hand sewed some fabric patches, sometimes on the two sides of the pocket, but that takes too much time and it's not easy with big holes.
I was thinking about some thermo fusible fabric, haven't found any in stores, so I was looking through amazon (.com and .co.uk) but I'm a bit at a loss with the names. Anyone knows the name of what I need?
It only has to be fusible on one side, not two.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7463 on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
The name Fiona was supposedly started in Scotland or so I've read. Is it Scottish or Scottish-Gaelic? if the former, does it have a Scottish-Gaelic equivalent, and if so, what is it? I am putting this under stupid questions because I should have been about to figure this out myself but my google-fu in this area is lacking.
It's Gaelic. And good on you for knowing the difference between Scots and Gaelic!  (That's a book peeve of mine, when authors don't know the difference.)

Okay now I'm curious.  What's the difference between Scottish and Scottish-Gaelic?
They're from entirely different language families.  Scots (AKA Lallans) is a dialect/cousin language of English, which is descended from Germanic.  Gaelic is a descendent of Celtic.  You have to go clear back to Indo-European to find a common ancestor.

As a comparison, here is the Lord's Prayer in both Middle Scots (c. 1520) and Scottish Gaelic:

LORD'S PRAYER

Our fader that art in heuenis,
 hallewit be thi name.
 Thi kingdom cum to.
 Thi wil be done in erde, as in heuen.
 Gefe to vs this day our breid ouer vthir substance.
 And forgif to vs our dettis,
 as we forgef to our dettouris.
 And leid vs nocht into temptatioun,
 bot deliuer vs fra euile.

Amen.

Urnaigh an Tighearna:
Ar n-Athair a tha air nčamh, gu naomhaichear d'ainm.
Thigeadh do rěochachd. Dčanar do thoil air an talamh, mar a něthear air nčamh.
Tabhair dhuinn an-diugh ar n-aran lŕitheil. Agus maith dhuinn ar fiachan, amhail a mhaitheas sinne dar luchd-fiach.
Agus na leig ann am buaireadh sinn; ach saor sinn o olc;
oir is leatsa an rěoghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a' ghlňir, gu sěorraidh.
Amen.

You can see how Scots resembles English, but there's nothing recognizable in the Gaelic for us monolinguists.

Oooh, okay, thanks!  I see what you mean by the difference in languages. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7464 on: April 20, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »
I need to patch up some pockets tha have holes, the last few I hand sewed some fabric patches, sometimes on the two sides of the pocket, but that takes too much time and it's not easy with big holes.
I was thinking about some thermo fusible fabric, haven't found any in stores, so I was looking through amazon (.com and .co.uk) but I'm a bit at a loss with the names. Anyone knows the name of what I need?
It only has to be fusible on one side, not two.

Fusible webbing or fusible interfacing maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/Thermoweb-Medium-Iron-On-Fusible-Interfacing-White/dp/B001C205PA/ref=sr_1_2?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1366475107&sr=1-2&keywords=fusible+webbing

Or are you just looking for iron-on fabric patches?

http://www.amazon.com/Singer-2-inch---3-inch-Iron-On-Assortment/dp/B003BS8BNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1366475683&sr=1-1&keywords=fabric+patches+iron+on
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Iris

« Reply #7465 on: April 20, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »

Actually, its for more than just pipes.

The foundation of any structure needs to extend below the frost line.  The ground shifts a little when the water in it freezes and thaws.  The house is more stable if the foundation goes below that. 

Where I live the frost line is at about 3.5 feet.  My foundation has to extend at least to 4 feet.  If you have to dig that deep anyway you might as well go to 6 feet and get some extra usable space in the house.  That space is perfect for the furnace and the water heater.  My area gets tornadoes, so most people have a room in the basement where they can hide when a tornado is in the area.  Thats another reason to have a basement. 

And yes, my water line enters the house through the basement.  It keeps the water in the line from freezing.

Thanks for the info (and Octavia, too). Thought I did have a little giggle because I live in a pier house aka the foundations are on TOP of the ground. I guess when you don't get frost at all there's a little more flexibility in where you put your foundations :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7466 on: April 21, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
There's also the matter of heat efficiency - in cold areas, you want your house as close to a cube as possible because a lot of the heat seeps through the floors/ceilings.  Basements make a lot of sense because you can double the space of the house without doubling your heating bill.  In warmer areas, that's not necessarily the case - in the days before air conditioning, one popular style of architecture in the southern states was a breezeway - a building is literally split into two parts (like so) to allow the breeze to go between them and keep both halves cool.

It's also a matter of geology - nobody in my hometown has a basement unless they're built on the side of the mountain, because the whole area is essentially clay and limestone caves.  Building a basement is just a guarantee you'll have structural problems.

mmswm

« Reply #7467 on: April 21, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
Basements are unheard of here as well.  The water table is so close to the top soil that it would be nearly impossible, plus digging more than a few inches usually results in hitting hard rock, so it's just more efficient to build a slab foundation.  Also, we really have no concern about freezing temperatures.

betty

« Reply #7468 on: April 21, 2013, 10:56:58 AM »
My own question. Has anyone used a couch to 5k app. A friend of mine and I were talking about them and neither of us is willing to buy one if the don't tell you when to switch from walking to running. She's ready to start running now - but could use some advice on how they work.

I've used the couch to 5k program: it's great. The specific app (for iPhone) I like is called "Ease into 5k." It tells you when to walk and when to run, and when you are halfway through the workout. It also allows me to play a podcast or music along with the instructions.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7469 on: April 21, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »
There's also the matter of heat efficiency - in cold areas, you want your house as close to a cube as possible because a lot of the heat seeps through the floors/ceilings.  Basements make a lot of sense because you can double the space of the house without doubling your heating bill.  In warmer areas, that's not necessarily the case - in the days before air conditioning, one popular style of architecture in the southern states was a breezeway - a building is literally split into two parts (like so) to allow the breeze to go between them and keep both halves cool.

It's also a matter of geology - nobody in my hometown has a basement unless they're built on the side of the mountain, because the whole area is essentially clay and limestone caves.  Building a basement is just a guarantee you'll have structural problems.
I've always called those houses Dog Run Houses. The kitchen is as far from the main living quarters as possible. It keeps the heat away. Another option is was a shotgun house. So named because doors and windows line up so that if they are opened you can stand at one end of the house and shoot straight through the windows and doors to the other end. this allowed the prevailing breeze to blow through the house.

My Canadian relatives were shocked that we have water pipes in the attic. Maybe once every 5 - 7 years it gets cold enough that I have to allow water to run all night to keep the pipes from freezing. Being built on a swamp Houston doesn't have basements. There are tunnels downtown. In some of them you can see were water has seeped through. They are also dangerous during floods and hurricanes.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future