A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1515/1916) > >>

Thipu1:
Here's another stupid question. 

What exactly do bay leaves add to a recipe?  The question recently came up and others have agreed that they can't taste whether the bay leaf is there or not. 

artk2002:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on May 03, 2013, 10:31:56 AM ---Here's another stupid question. 

What exactly do bay leaves add to a recipe?  The question recently came up and others have agreed that they can't taste whether the bay leaf is there or not.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like they're using old bay leaves -- they do lose their potency. When working right, they add a subtle flavor, something reminiscent of the smell of ... bay leaves!

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on May 03, 2013, 10:37:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Thipu1 on May 03, 2013, 10:31:56 AM ---Here's another stupid question. 

--- End quote ---

Sounds like they're using old bay leaves -- they do lose their potency. When working right, they add a subtle flavor, something reminiscent of the smell of ... bay leaves!

--- End quote ---

And they can go old and loose their flavor pretty quick. I try to make sure to replace mine at least every 9-12  months.

When I was young, a woman who helped out my parents would nibble on a piece of by leaf to freshen her breathe.  they have a little bitter, a little bit menthol of a flavor. Break a tiny piece off and chew it a little bit. Or cook plain white rice with an added bay leaf. It'll really absorb the flavor.

There are some things that just don't taste right to me without a bay flavor added...Gumbo, Blackeyed or Purple hull peas, beef stew, and indian curries. 

If you ever run across fresh bay leaves, buy some. They are great. We have some really good Indian grocers in town and can find occasionally. I'll buy some and freeze to use later.

oogyda:
Re: "Warsh"

I heard it quite a bit when we lived in Illinois from people who were born and raised there.

Thipu1:
Thanks for answers on the bay leaf question, people.  I'll have to go looking for fresh bay.  The deity knows we have places where it can be bought.

It always seemed like something to find in your food...like the baby doll in a King Cake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version