Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 972660 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7620 on: May 13, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
Margaret comes from the Latin word for pearl, margarita.  In the Romance languages, the word also referred to daisies. So, Daisy is a nickname for Margaret since Margaret shares roots with Margarita/Margarida.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7621 on: May 13, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
Margaret comes from the Latin word for pearl, margarita.  In the Romance languages, the word also referred to daisies. So, Daisy is a nickname for Margaret since Margaret shares roots with Margarita/Margarida.

That's very interesting! I wonder why Pearl isn't used as a nickname for Margaret?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7622 on: May 13, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
Do most coin laundry machines accept dollar coins?

I have a bunch of the coins I'd like to take along for doing laundry when we take vacation this summer but I don't want to bother if I can't use them for that purpose. 

If you're in Houston or along I-10 between Houston & Mobile, AL - I'd love to buy them off you to take to the Renn Faire near Atlanta this coming weekend!  If you're not - darn.....I'll have to head to the bank or the post office!  Around here, the post office and the parking meters in downtown Houston give change in dollar coins.  I like the gold ones best to toss in the tip bag at the Renn Faire - it's just more FUN that way!

Paying for food can be an issue - they don't have a section of the cash drawer to put dollar coins in.....but they'll take them!

+++++++++++++++++++++

New question:

How did "Hank" become a nick-name for "Henry?"

I don't know but I've had the same question about "harry" for years. Also "Jack" for John. It's not even shorter!

It's not about length. It's about the period in English history when only biblical names were allowed. I think I've read somewhere that 10% of Englishmen were named Tom at one point. Presumably John was similar. Combine that with the custom of naming boys after their male relatives and you had a lot of men in the one family with the same name, so they needed variations to distinguish them. Why those in particular, I'm not sure.
Warning!  Warning!  Onomastic history button pushed!

"Hank" and "Jack" are double diminutives.  Diminutives in most English names are shortened versions of names, like Mike and Will and Rob, but not always.  You also get things like "Johnnie", longer than the original John, which may hang on long after the older John in the family is gone. 

During the Middle Ages,  -ken/-kin/-kyn were common methods of forming diminutives (among others); they all mean 'little'.  The younger male relatives of John and Henry were sometimes tagged as Jankyn and Hankyn.  Jack and Hank are shortened forms of those diminutives.

Cool!  Now, can you explain how we get Molly and Polly from Mary?   :)

And Meg and Peg from Margaret?

I'd like to know who first came up with Daisy for Margaret! It is a nice nickname, but still...

The French form of Margaret is Marguerite (I learned this from a descriptive aside of the female lead and her name in the book The Scarlet Pimpernel - its meaning is the word for pearl and daisy - due to the white petals of the daisy).  So "Daisy" is just a simple translation!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:43:37 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7623 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

"I am only passingly familiar with the Jewish restriction on doing work on the Sabbath, and I recognize that this degree of restriction is something only some Jewish people do - but how is it "work" to turn on your oven but not to put the food in it to bake?"

The "work" in this case is creation, specifically creation of a circuit.  It's not "creation" to put something in to cook, although as lady_disdain wrote, one can put the food in before the Sabbath if it's a worry.  It's not considered work to remove something already cooked from the oven, though, so when it's done you can take it out with no worries.

"Is there a master list somewhere of what things are "work" and what aren't?"

It can differ among congregations, but there's a Wikipedia page that covers a good chunk of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activities_prohibited_on_Shabbat

Virg

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7624 on: May 13, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »
For anyone knowledgable about sailing:
Would it be possible/plausible for someone to sail this ship* single-handedly? I would think it would take more than one person to sail something that size, but my only sailing experience is a teeny-tiny boat at summer camp, so I don't know. I'd think you'd need at least one person to deal with any adjustments to the sails while another handled the steering...

Anyway, the ship is Captain Hook's from the show Once Upon a Time. At some points during the show, the ship's manned by a crew of pirates. But at other times, Hook's on his own and still using his ship as transportation, so in-show he can obviously sail it without help (and literally single-handed  >:D). Now I'm curious whether that's plausible or if I ought to chalk it up to magic. (Of course if it is plausible, then it raises the question of what the crew did when they were sailing around between acts of piracy?)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #7625 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58:48 AM »
Well that depends.  If the sails were set and the anchor up, and he was sailing a straight course, the just maybe.  Bu if anything changed he would probably be in trouble

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7626 on: May 14, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
I'd say that open seas would allow such a boat to be run under sail by a single person but unless conditions were pretty ideal it would be tough to sail it anywhere that required any accuracy.  One thing at least to keep in mind is that a modern ship of that size would have an engine in it, so a single person could reasonably handle it by leaving the sails tied and driving it like a cabin cruiser.  The dock in the picture looks reasonably modern, but I've never watched so I don't know what time frame the boat exists in and I don't know if the show depicts the boat under sail while he's running it solo.

Virg

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7627 on: May 14, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
I'd say that open seas would allow such a boat to be run under sail by a single person but unless conditions were pretty ideal it would be tough to sail it anywhere that required any accuracy.  One thing at least to keep in mind is that a modern ship of that size would have an engine in it, so a single person could reasonably handle it by leaving the sails tied and driving it like a cabin cruiser.  The dock in the picture looks reasonably modern, but I've never watched so I don't know what time frame the boat exists in and I don't know if the show depicts the boat under sail while he's running it solo.

Virg

It's definitely either sail only or possibly sail + magic.  ;) The dock in the photo is indeed a modern dock, but the ship itself comes from a fairytale land without modern technology.

marcel

« Reply #7628 on: May 14, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »
A lot is possible single handed if you are on open water and there is no storm. I have no personal experience with sailing square rigged ships, so it is hard to comment on this specific ship, but I would think it mostly depends on how hard it is to lower and raise the sails.  When sailing this ship single handed, I might sail it with only the main sail.

Once you know a ship well, I must say that you can do a lot single handed, so it might be possible for somebody who has been sailing on that ship a lot.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7629 on: May 14, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

"I am only passingly familiar with the Jewish restriction on doing work on the Sabbath, and I recognize that this degree of restriction is something only some Jewish people do - but how is it "work" to turn on your oven but not to put the food in it to bake?"

The "work" in this case is creation, specifically creation of a circuit.  It's not "creation" to put something in to cook, although as lady_disdain wrote, one can put the food in before the Sabbath if it's a worry.  It's not considered work to remove something already cooked from the oven, though, so when it's done you can take it out with no worries.

It can differ among congregations, but there's a Wikipedia page that covers a good chunk of it.

Virg

That was really interesting - apparently there's a debate whether it's okay to go bowling on the Sabbath if you intentionally bowl only gutterballs  :P

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7630 on: May 14, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

Virg

That was really interesting - apparently there's a debate whether it's okay to go bowling on the Sabbath if you intentionally bowl only gutterballs  :P

Yeah but... I mean... what's the frickin' point?!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7631 on: May 14, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

Virg

Um . . . Zero?

As in score -- all gutter balls = zero points. You know. A joke just doesn't work if you have to explain it. Sigh.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7632 on: May 14, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

Virg

Um . . . Zero?

As in score -- all gutter balls = zero points. You know. A joke just doesn't work if you have to explain it. Sigh.

I was going to post this.  Then scrolled down.  ::Sigh::

ScubaGirl

« Reply #7633 on: May 15, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
When I cook with my toaster oven, am I suppose to leave the door slighly ajar?  Either when it is heating up or cooking?  Seems to me my mother used to but I'm not sure.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7634 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
The only reason I can think of to leave the door ajar is if there was smoke - and if there was smoke, I wouldn't be using the toaster oven!

I never leave mine open, and I've never seen the family do it either.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!