Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 839812 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7635 on: May 14, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

"I am only passingly familiar with the Jewish restriction on doing work on the Sabbath, and I recognize that this degree of restriction is something only some Jewish people do - but how is it "work" to turn on your oven but not to put the food in it to bake?"

The "work" in this case is creation, specifically creation of a circuit.  It's not "creation" to put something in to cook, although as lady_disdain wrote, one can put the food in before the Sabbath if it's a worry.  It's not considered work to remove something already cooked from the oven, though, so when it's done you can take it out with no worries.

"Is there a master list somewhere of what things are "work" and what aren't?"

It can differ among congregations, but there's a Wikipedia page that covers a good chunk of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activities_prohibited_on_Shabbat

Virg

That was really interesting - apparently there's a debate whether it's okay to go bowling on the Sabbath if you intentionally bowl only gutterballs  :P

Yeah but... I mean... what's the frickin' point?!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7636 on: May 14, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

"I am only passingly familiar with the Jewish restriction on doing work on the Sabbath, and I recognize that this degree of restriction is something only some Jewish people do - but how is it "work" to turn on your oven but not to put the food in it to bake?"

The "work" in this case is creation, specifically creation of a circuit.  It's not "creation" to put something in to cook, although as lady_disdain wrote, one can put the food in before the Sabbath if it's a worry.  It's not considered work to remove something already cooked from the oven, though, so when it's done you can take it out with no worries.

It can differ among congregations, but there's a Wikipedia page that covers a good chunk of it.

Virg

That was really interesting - apparently there's a debate whether it's okay to go bowling on the Sabbath if you intentionally bowl only gutterballs  :P

Um . . . Zero?

As in score -- all gutter balls = zero points. You know. A joke just doesn't work if you have to explain it. Sigh.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #7637 on: May 14, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

Virg

Um . . . Zero?

As in score -- all gutter balls = zero points. You know. A joke just doesn't work if you have to explain it. Sigh.

I was going to post this.  Then scrolled down.  ::Sigh::

ScubaGirl

« Reply #7638 on: May 15, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
When I cook with my toaster oven, am I suppose to leave the door slighly ajar?  Either when it is heating up or cooking?  Seems to me my mother used to but I'm not sure.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7639 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
The only reason I can think of to leave the door ajar is if there was smoke - and if there was smoke, I wouldn't be using the toaster oven!

I never leave mine open, and I've never seen the family do it either.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7640 on: May 15, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »
When I cook with my toaster oven, am I suppose to leave the door slighly ajar?  Either when it is heating up or cooking?  Seems to me my mother used to but I'm not sure.

That seems like a good way to make it much less effective.

That is our only oven-like device right now (long story). We have cooked everything from holiday dinners, rotisserie chickens, to brownies in it, and any chance you give the heat to escape, it will. We have to add about 5 min cooking time for every time the door is opened, it seems.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #7641 on: May 15, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »
Thanks!  It didn't make sense to me to leave the door open but as I said, I had a vague memory.  I looked in the manual that came with it and it didn't say one way or the other.  I figured my question fit into the topic of this thread perfectly.  :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7642 on: May 15, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
I'm wondering if your Mom did that as a way to control the heat.  Older toaster ovens didn't have the most reliable thermostats so she may have found that hers was more of an off or completely on appliance.

So no, you shouldn't need to leave the door ajar.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7643 on: May 15, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »

Was she broiling?  I know in my mother's electric oven, she would leave the door ajar to keep the top heating element hot. If she closed the door, the heating element would turn off and then start roasting her food versus heating it. I think some electric ovens still have this process and the manuals recommend keeping the door ajar when broiling. My convection oven is different. If I set it to broil, it leaves the top element on the entire time unless I open the oven and then it cuts it off.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #7644 on: May 15, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
I'm just glad I'm not the only one that only has a countertop oven.   ;D

ScubaGirl

« Reply #7645 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

Was she broiling?  I know in my mother's electric oven, she would leave the door ajar to keep the top heating element hot. If she closed the door, the heating element would turn off and then start roasting her food versus heating it. I think some electric ovens still have this process and the manuals recommend keeping the door ajar when broiling. My convection oven is different. If I set it to broil, it leaves the top element on the entire time unless I open the oven and then it cuts it off.

You know, I bet this was it.  Thanks!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #7646 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
I'm just glad I'm not the only one that only has a countertop oven.   ;D
I use mine a lot, especially in the summer.  Why heat up the big oven to bake 6 cookies* or a couple of potatoes?

*I make up the cookie dough and refrigerate it,  then bake 6 at a time.  We like our cookies hot!  Any cookie that has been out of the oven long enough to get cool is referred to as an "Old Stale Cookie."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7647 on: May 15, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy baby onesies in red and black? A friend of mine and his wife are expecting. I would prefer to spend less than $8 each on them.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7648 on: May 15, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »
For anyone knowledgable about sailing:
Would it be possible/plausible for someone to sail this ship* single-handedly? I would think it would take more than one person to sail something that size, but my only sailing experience is a teeny-tiny boat at summer camp, so I don't know. I'd think you'd need at least one person to deal with any adjustments to the sails while another handled the steering...

Anyway, the ship is Captain Hook's from the show Once Upon a Time. At some points during the show, the ship's manned by a crew of pirates. But at other times, Hook's on his own and still using his ship as transportation, so in-show he can obviously sail it without help (and literally single-handed  >:D). Now I'm curious whether that's plausible or if I ought to chalk it up to magic. (Of course if it is plausible, then it raises the question of what the crew did when they were sailing around between acts of piracy?)

Magic, or some hidden, motor-driven winches taking care of most of the lines.  You'd probably be able to sail that one with four people, or possibly three, but any kind of maneuver (i.e. tacking) would have everyone as busy as a one-armed paper hanger.

For those of you who care, the positions would be:
 Helmsman, doing the obvious
 Mizzen braces: Responsible for turning the square sale on the reward (aft) mast. This really should be two people, one on the port side and one on starboard but one person can do it if they run.
 Main braces: Same job on the main mast.
 Fore stays'l: You can't really see it in the picture but it's a triangular sail between the main mast and the bow. There may be more than one sail there, it's hard to tell from the picture.

Tacking:
1. Helmsman turns the helm away from the wind ("helm's alee")
2. As the boat's bow comes across the wind, the person on the fore stays'l moves the sail from one side to the other ("passing the heads'ls"); in a heavy wind this can be very dangerous as the tack of the stays'l will flap and it usually has an iron fitting on it. Called, frequently a "widowmaker."
3. Once the heads'ls have been passed and the bow continues across, the the people manning the braces let loose the weather side and haul away on the lee side. If there's only one person on each mast, they have to let loose the one side, run across and start hauling; once it's hauled over, secure that side and then run back and secure the other one.
4. The helmsman brings the helm back amidships.

To do this with three people would mean that the helmsman would have to handle the mizzen braces which is possible but difficult.

Failing to do this within a limited amount of time, you could end up "in irons," with the ship's bow pointed into the wind and no way to do anything except get out the small boat and push the nose around.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #7649 on: May 15, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy baby onesies in red and black? A friend of mine and his wife are expecting. I would prefer to spend less than $8 each on them.

The only onesies in colours other than pastels that I've been able to get for BabyDrifter are ones I've dyed myself. Though there are some online stores that might help, I'm sure I've seen some darker colours on so e of the baby clothes sites linked through Offbeat Mama and Offbeat Families. I'm on my iPad or I'd send a link!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,