Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1085735 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7695 on: May 26, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
We are installing a fence where one did not previously exist.  We were going to install it ourselves but then decided it would better to hire a contractor.  My question is whether we have to know the property lines and where to dig before that or if the contractor will do it?  Otherwise, if we still decided to do it ourselves, how do we figure out the property lines?  How do we find out if we need a permit to build?  Is there a catchall place to find out everything we need to do other than install the fence itself?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7696 on: May 26, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »
We are installing a fence where one did not previously exist.  We were going to install it ourselves but then decided it would better to hire a contractor.  My question is whether we have to know the property lines and where to dig before that or if the contractor will do it?  Otherwise, if we still decided to do it ourselves, how do we figure out the property lines?  How do we find out if we need a permit to build?  Is there a catchall place to find out everything we need to do other than install the fence itself?

Your town or city will know if you need a permit. Check their website or call Town Hall. There may be other rules, such as the height of the fence, or the need to get neighbors' approval, or where you can place the fence, that you will need to know--City Hall has them all.

As for the property lines, sometimes this is part of the paperwork when you buy the house. If it isn't, and you have never had your property surveyed, now is the time to do so. Yes, it will cost you a bit of money. But not as much money as you will spend moving the fence once your neighbor informs you that your completely installed brand new fence is six inches over on their property.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

perpetua

« Reply #7697 on: May 26, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »
Are American 'thrift stores' the same as what we in the UK would call 'charity shops'?

British charity shops are run by individual charities (say for example the British Heart Foundation shop) and many different ones representing various charities can usually be found in the high street - there are five or six on my small high street here. The profits from sales from each shop go to the charity that runs it and they're staffed by volunteers. The items for sale are things donated by the public, usually clothes, shoes, bags, CDs and household bric-a-brac like bedding and crockery etc.

Or are they something different? I get the feeling they're not quite the same but I can't quite put my finger on how.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7698 on: May 26, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
They're pretty much the same, at least in my experience. The only thing that jumps out in your description is "staffed by volunteers" - do you mean they don't get paid for it? My mother worked in a Salvation Army shop about...ten-ish years ago?...and as she got a regular paycheck for it I doubt she can be considered "volunteer", but rather "employee".

There's also thrift shops that don't seem to be affiliated with any specific charity too. It gets confusing...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

perpetua

« Reply #7699 on: May 26, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
They're pretty much the same, at least in my experience. The only thing that jumps out in your description is "staffed by volunteers" - do you mean they don't get paid for it? My mother worked in a Salvation Army shop about...ten-ish years ago?...and as she got a regular paycheck for it I doubt she can be considered "volunteer", but rather "employee".

I think that mostly, the shop managers are paid staff, but yes, the other shop staff are generally unpaid volunteers.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7700 on: May 26, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »

There's also thrift shops that don't seem to be affiliated with any specific charity too. It gets confusing...

Some American thrift shops are "for-profits" and some are "not-for-profits" - often people assume that means they either make money or don't, but it really has to do with the corporate structure and whether shareholders at the top are paid or not.  Either way, workers can either be paid or unpaid.  Private thrift stores ("Sally's Bargains" and the like) are more likely to have regular paid workers, but there are several organizations which run thrift stores as part of a greater charitable organization (Salvation Army, Goodwill, and tons of smaller ones) and those may have a mix of paid, volunteer, and working-to-gain-work-experience employees.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7701 on: May 26, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »

Your town or city will know if you need a permit. Check their website or call Town Hall. There may be other rules, such as the height of the fence, or the need to get neighbors' approval, or where you can place the fence, that you will need to know--City Hall has them all.

As for the property lines, sometimes this is part of the paperwork when you buy the house. If it isn't, and you have never had your property surveyed, now is the time to do so. Yes, it will cost you a bit of money. But not as much money as you will spend moving the fence once your neighbor informs you that your completely installed brand new fence is six inches over on their property.
You also might ask the neighbors if THEY have ever had a survey done, and if they would be willing to give you a copy.  There might also be stakes driven into the ground, at or just above ground level, to denote the corners of the property.

(Our stake survey showed that the fence put up by previous owners is a good two feet onto the neighbor's property.  I think this chunk of property qualifies for adverse possession by now, as it was done at least 25 years ago.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7702 on: May 27, 2013, 08:43:45 AM »
We rent (yes the landlord approves of the fence), so I will have to ask him if he has a copy of the last survey.  Thanks!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7703 on: May 27, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »

There are several varieties of thrift shops in our neighborhood.  Some are run by Charities like Hadassah, Catholic Charities or Salvation Army.  To make sure things run smoothly, managers are paid but salespeople are usually volunteers.  these shops will take anything from baby clothes, to kitchenware to Wedding gowns. 

Others are independent businesses and specialize in vintage  clothing for women.  'Hootie Couture' is a local one that comes to mind.  You might go to a place like this for a poodle skirt but you wouldn't expect to find children's clothes or books.   People who work in places like this are all paid employees.

There's also one in the neighborhood that's a mystery.  It carries clothing, furniture and curios. Most of the things are very good quality and the prices are between those of Salvation Army and the independents.  It's supposed to be a Charity shop but I've never bee able to find out what the charity
is. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7704 on: May 27, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
And just to be more confusing, there are "consignment shops".  Generally, these shops accept only designer brand clothes in season.  You bring in a pile, and the shop tries to resell it and gives you a percentage of the profit.  It's not meant to be a charity, and all those workers are paid.  Some specialize in baby things, children's clothes, teenage girl things, etc. 

I used to use one in my hometown for baby things, but it's easier now for me just to donate to a charity shop.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7705 on: May 27, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
And just to be more confusing, there are "consignment shops".  Generally, these shops accept only designer brand clothes in season.  You bring in a pile, and the shop tries to resell it and gives you a percentage of the profit.  It's not meant to be a charity, and all those workers are paid.  Some specialize in baby things, children's clothes, teenage girl things, etc. 

I used to use one in my hometown for baby things, but it's easier now for me just to donate to a charity shop.

I have a consignment shop right near my work.  She's fussy; it has to be reasonably in style, in good repair and there are some things she just won't take.  I take stuff to her first, pack away what she won't take and wait to see what sells.  Whatever doesn't sell, I add to what I packed away and donate the lot.  Which reminds me, I have a couple of dresses I'm tired of that I should try to sell and see if I can get some money for them.  No weddings to go to this summer so I won't need to buy a new one for a while.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7706 on: May 27, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »
Regarding the whole "Gif" vs "Jif" thing...

There are two main reasons why I am convinced it's a hard G (incidentally, who decided that the G that sounds like J is a soft G?  It sounds hard to me!)

1) We use a hard G for just about every other acronym, even when there's evidence it should be soft (Gigabyte vs Jiggabyte)
2) There is actually a .jif format... what would we call it?

Carotte

« Reply #7707 on: May 27, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Regarding the whole "Gif" vs "Jif" thing...

There are two main reasons why I am convinced it's a hard G (incidentally, who decided that the G that sounds like J is a soft G?  It sounds hard to me!)

1) We use a hard G for just about every other acronym, even when there's evidence it should be soft (Gigabyte vs Jiggabyte)

This reminds me of the time a friend used the word 'jeek' (english is not our first language). it took me a while to understand she had meant geek  :o
I don't blame her, if she never heard the word then applying our logic of sounding out words it would be said 'jeek'.

So, just to add my 2 cents, even if we* should say jif if it was without context, I've always heard/said gif.
*in France

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7708 on: May 27, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »
I just noticed (but was quoted so I'm not editing)... I used "acronym" when I meant "computer term".

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7709 on: May 27, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »
Is the graphic file type .gif pronounced:

Gif -- as in gift?

or

Jif -- as in jiffy?

I'm constantly being corrected by the younger artists when I say "Jif". They say "Oh, you mean a "Gif" file?"

I say "I've been using "Jif" files since you were in 5th grade. They still try to tell me that I'm wrong. ::)

Please tell me that I'm not wrong.

Erm, sorry, it's a hard 'g'. It's an acronym for "graphics interchange format." The rule with 'g's in acronyms is that they are hard if they were hard in the original word they started, which is the case here. They are soft only when they were soft in their original word and they are directly followed by an 'e', 'i', or 'y' in the acronym.

The creator wanted it to be said 'jif' to sound like some other brand at the time. But unfortunately, he doesn't get to redefine English pronunciation rules. And the hard 'g' pronunciation is almost universal now anyway.

Thanks for that explanation.

Also:

I did not know this.

So I did a bit of research and came up with this from the Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=.jif%20alert

"1.    jif alert

A jif alert is when someone pronounces the file extension of ".gif" with a soft g or "J" sound as in "jiffy" and someone subsequently calls them on it. Technically, "jif" and "gif" are both correct, but only tech-geeks and nerds use the former pronunciation, while 95% of the population uses the latter. Also, the G in .gif stands for "graphics" which has a hard G, therefore .gif shall be pronounced with a hard G unless you just want to be a snob about it."

I guess that means that I'm officially a nerd. ;D