Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1124680 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7710 on: May 27, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Today's Penny Arcade comic is about the .gif thing :-P

ETA: I linked it directly but forgot it contains some NSFW language - sorry!

Iris

« Reply #7711 on: May 28, 2013, 04:05:15 AM »
Is the graphic file type .gif pronounced:

Gif -- as in gift?

or

Jif -- as in jiffy?

I'm constantly being corrected by the younger artists when I say "Jif". They say "Oh, you mean a "Gif" file?"

I say "I've been using "Jif" files since you were in 5th grade. They still try to tell me that I'm wrong. ::)

Please tell me that I'm not wrong.

Erm, sorry, it's a hard 'g'. It's an acronym for "graphics interchange format." The rule with 'g's in acronyms is that they are hard if they were hard in the original word they started, which is the case here. They are soft only when they were soft in their original word and they are directly followed by an 'e', 'i', or 'y' in the acronym.

The creator wanted it to be said 'jif' to sound like some other brand at the time. But unfortunately, he doesn't get to redefine English pronunciation rules. And the hard 'g' pronunciation is almost universal now anyway.

Thanks for that explanation.

Also:

2) There is actually a .jif format... what would we call it?

I did not know this.

So I did a bit of research and came up with this from the Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=.jif%20alert

"1.    jif alert

A jif alert is when someone pronounces the file extension of ".gif" with a soft g or "J" sound as in "jiffy" and someone subsequently calls them on it. Technically, "jif" and "gif" are both correct, but only tech-geeks and nerds use the former pronunciation, while 95% of the population uses the latter. Also, the G in .gif stands for "graphics" which has a hard G, therefore .gif shall be pronounced with a hard G unless you just want to be a snob about it."

I guess that means that I'm officially a nerd. ;D

Disclaimer: I don't use .gif files for anything at all. I look at them sometimes, but that's all.

I tend to think that if you invent something you should get to name it, and to heck with grammar rules. After all the fridge people got to put a whole other letter in when abbreviating their word, just because they liked it more that way.  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Elisabunny

« Reply #7712 on: May 28, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »
Thanks for the e reader helps!  I have crossed my fingers and toes and ordered a refurbished Kindle Keyboard from eBay.  :)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7713 on: May 29, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
I'm never gentle after conditioning. You're supposed to leave it on your hair for about five minutes before you rinse off - by then whatever's going to do its work on your hair has soaked into the hair shaft. (I'll admit I sometimes rinse it off right away too, but honestly I don't notice much difference!) I don't think you'd be able to rub it off when it's soaked in!

I usually wash my hair first when I'm in the shower, then I put in the conditioner and let it sit while I wash the rest of my body.  Then I rinse out the conditioner when I rinse the rest of me.  That usually works well for me.  However, I wash and rinse and get out FAST, because extended time under a shower tends to dry out my skin, so I don't linger.  It's usually 10 minutes, from start to finish.   
I've never had problems with rubbing off the conditioner with a towel.

Betelnut

« Reply #7714 on: May 29, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
I'm never gentle after conditioning. You're supposed to leave it on your hair for about five minutes before you rinse off - by then whatever's going to do its work on your hair has soaked into the hair shaft. (I'll admit I sometimes rinse it off right away too, but honestly I don't notice much difference!) I don't think you'd be able to rub it off when it's soaked in!

I usually wash my hair first when I'm in the shower, then I put in the conditioner and let it sit while I wash the rest of my body.  Then I rinse out the conditioner when I rinse the rest of me.  That usually works well for me.  However, I wash and rinse and get out FAST, because extended time under a shower tends to dry out my skin, so I don't linger.  It's usually 10 minutes, from start to finish.   

Heck, I take 5-7 minute showers so I don't leave the conditioner on more than 30 seconds!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7715 on: May 29, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »

This is almost exactly what I do.  When I get out, I flip my head over and give it a maybe 10-20 seconds of a rub with the towel.  My hair is still quite damp but not dripping.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7716 on: May 29, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
Okay, here's one.

Why do people get teary-eyed, or actually start crying, if they yawn hard enough? I'm sick of people thinking I'm bored to tears when I'm actually exhausted beyond belief!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7717 on: May 29, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »

This is me, too.  But I don't rub my hair at all.  I just wrap my head in the towel and leave it on while I brush my teeth and put in my contacts.  Then I take the towel off and comb it out.  By the time I get to work, the top layer is dry, even if it is still a bit damp underneath.  If I rubbed my hair, it would negate the work the conditioner did because my hair would be in absolute tangles.  It works even better if I use a microfibre towel.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7718 on: May 29, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
I notice that if I am really tired, no matter how early in the day, I have tears just roll down my face. I take it as a hint that I need to sleep more.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7719 on: May 30, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »
Okay, here's one.

Why do people get teary-eyed, or actually start crying, if they yawn hard enough? I'm sick of people thinking I'm bored to tears when I'm actually exhausted beyond belief!

Probably some weird psychological response. 

From personal experience, I find it happens when I'm tired and my eyes feel sticky/dry.  I figure it's my body's way of moistening my dry eyes.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #7720 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
Why do some toothpastes have the ADA Seal and others don't?  Or, I suppose the more important question is, should I care?  I only recently noticed that some types of toothpaste within a given brand have it and others don't.  Like Crest X does but Crest Y doesn't.  I hadn't thought to actually look for the seal, because I assumed that toothpaste was toothpaste was toothpaste and picked up whatever was on sale plus a coupon.  But now I wonder!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7721 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
Layla Miller wrote:

"Why do some toothpastes have the ADA Seal and others don't?"

Because the seal isn't transferable.  When Crest X gets the seal so they can print it on the tube, it doesn't allow them to use it on the different formula Crest Y with the whiteners and sparkles and fairy dust added.  Many companies won't bother to recertify every variation so some have it and some don't.  For the most part virtually every toothpaste will work about as well as any other, so assuming it's all the same is a pretty safe bet.

Virg

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7722 on: June 03, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
If it has (I think) 0.5% sodium fluorsilicate or whatever fluoride derivitive in the ingredient list, it will do the job for cavity prevention.  All the other stuff is extra for various other purposes (sensitivity, whitening, breath freshening, etc.).  Like Virg says, they won't necessarily run all of the variations through for the ADA seal - it is expensive!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7723 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
When a male Jewish infant is ritually circumcised, what do they do with the foreskin? Is there a further ritual regarding it?  I'm assuming that a non-ritual hospital circumcision, it's disposed of as medical waste, probably incinerated.  But the authorities would frown, I think, on just tossing it in the wastebasket.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:46:05 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #7724 on: June 03, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »
Ah, good to know!  I was starting to think I'd have to inspect every tube of toothpaste before I bought it.  I already dally in the store long enough thanks to my price comparing, so I definitely didn't need yet another thing to strand me in the aisles.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.