Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 975430 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7725 on: June 03, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
Ah, good to know!  I was starting to think I'd have to inspect every tube of toothpaste before I bought it.  I already dally in the store long enough thanks to my price comparing, so I definitely didn't need yet another thing to strand me in the aisles.  ;D

It is worth looking at your toothpaste if you buy it from dollar stores or other discount outlets - there have been several instances of discount stores getting toothpaste intended for other countries.  Which wouldn't matter, except that toothpaste in some countries (like South Africa, I believe) has significantly more fluoride than American toothpaste does - mostly because we get fluoride from our water and they don't.  Too much fluoride can cause problems, so it's worth checking to make sure your toothpaste is made for America (or another country with fluoride in the water).

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7726 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
Sorry, but I'm very cynical. The seal is a way for the ADA to make money and for the manufacturers to add just a little more puffery in promoting their product. Not every manufacturer wants to pay the bribe to play the game.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #7727 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
Sorry, but I'm very cynical. The seal is a way for the ADA to make money and for the manufacturers to add just a little more puffery in promoting their product. Not every manufacturer wants to pay the bribe to play the game.
Sure, but I was wondering why there was variation within different products by the same manufacturer.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7728 on: June 04, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »
Sure, but I was wondering why there was variation within different products by the same manufacturer.  :)

The manufacturer will pay for the ADA seal on their most popular product, since they'll sell enough to make their money back and then some.  But if they make a variation to that product, it no longer gets the seal and they choose not to pay the big bucks to get the seal because it isn't popular enough to make it worth their while.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #7729 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »

The manufacturer will pay for the ADA seal on their most popular product, since they'll sell enough to make their money back and then some.  But if they make a variation to that product, it no longer gets the seal and they choose not to pay the big bucks to get the seal because it isn't popular enough to make it worth their while.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I think I figured it was something like that, but some tiny part of my brain kept jumping up and down going "What if there's something wrong with this toothpaste?!"

Which is weird, because of course the rest of the time I'm totally rational and not at all likely to worry about silly, random things.  ;D

emwithme

« Reply #7730 on: June 04, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
When a male Jewish infant is ritually circumcised, what do they do with the foreskin? Is there a further ritual regarding it?  I'm assuming that a non-ritual hospital circumcision, it's disposed of as medical waste, probably incinerated.  But the authorities would frown, I think, on just tossing it in the wastebasket.

According to my DH (who is a biochemist and has worked in research), some foreskins are sold for medical research - basically you grow cells in culture on them, or can use them as a "control" healthy cell (he was working on the link between HPV and cervical cancer).  They are *very* expensive and so he presumes only a few of them "reach market" - it would only be those removed in hospitals as synagogues etc would be non-sterile and could therefore contaminate the cell.

JoW

« Reply #7731 on: June 04, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »
It is worth looking at your toothpaste if you buy it from dollar stores or other discount outlets - there have been several instances of discount stores getting toothpaste intended for other countries.  Which wouldn't matter, except that toothpaste in some countries (like South Africa, I believe) has significantly more fluoride than American toothpaste does - mostly because we get fluoride from our water and they don't.  Too much fluoride can cause problems, so it's worth checking to make sure your toothpaste is made for America (or another country with fluoride in the water).
Its MUCH worse than that.  Dollar store toothpaste with a counterfit name-brand label, sold in the US a few years ago, was found to contain ethylene glycol.  Ethylene glycol is used as antifreeze.  It taste sweet and is very toxic. 

Do not buy toothpaste from the dollar store.  Heck, I wouldn't buy any food, medicine, or cosmetic at the dollar store. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7732 on: June 05, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
Its MUCH worse than that.  Dollar store toothpaste with a counterfit name-brand label, sold in the US a few years ago, was found to contain ethylene glycol.  Ethylene glycol is used as antifreeze.  It taste sweet and is very toxic. 

Do not buy toothpaste from the dollar store.  Heck, I wouldn't buy any food, medicine, or cosmetic at the dollar store.

Has nothing to do with the dollar store. Colgate was found to have it.  Turns out it came from China.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7733 on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
This is really a question for the librarians among us.

My public library allows for 5 interlibrary loans per patron per month. It says on the library website that this is to help with our "research."

My library also has large posters up on the walls, giving suggestions for books to read. "If you like Jane Austen, then why not try . . . ." "If you like Agatha Christie, then you might like . . . ." "If you like Dowton Abbey, then you might like to read . . . ."

So they get me started on a new author and I like him/her, but the library doesn't have all of their books. And many of these authors are writing series, and I always like to read a series in order.

Is it okay to use interlibrary loan for complete fluff books, murder mysteries and the like? Or is it expected that ILL will be used for non-fiction research type books? There's really no other way to get these books; I can't buy them all.

(I'm blaming the librarians for this. They are doing too good a job with their suggestions. It's all their fault.)
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #7734 on: June 06, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
I say ILL whatever you want!  At the library I used to work at, recreational reading came through ILL way more often than Serious Business reading, and this was at a college.  I suspect that the "help with research" might be because most people do use it for fun books and maybe not many people think to use it for research as well--they might be trying to drum up business in a less-used area.  If you're really unsure, please feel free to ask.  The lady who did ILL requests where I worked was desperate to get new people requesting books, so I bet they'd be thrilled.  :)

wheeitsme

« Reply #7735 on: June 06, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »
I worked at a University Library and I ILL'd the Complete Sandman (I certainly couldn't afford to buy it, LOL).

So if I can ILL a graphic novel from a research library, I don't see any problem with you ILLing from a public library.  ;)

Betelnut

« Reply #7736 on: June 07, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
You can ILL anything you like.  We have people ILL-ing Harlequin romances for gosh sakes!  Take advantage of the service--it is there for you to enjoy!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7737 on: June 07, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »
Since librarians have to be licensed to work...

Is that a license to ILL?

...don't look at me like that...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7738 on: June 07, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »
Ha ha ha!

I love puns  ;D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7739 on: June 08, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
License to ILL!  I love it.

Sure, in public libraries you can ask for anything.

I used to do ILL work in a research library and there, things could get complicated because some libraries charged, some didn't and others worked on a voucher system.   

We were an art library and, through the old RLIN system, we could receive ILLs from other art libraries without charge.  We got a nasty surprise when a loan we thought would be free arrived with a bill for 55USD.