A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1571/2301) > >>

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Iris on June 18, 2013, 05:17:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: Carotte on June 18, 2013, 04:59:29 AM ---What does PEI stands for? I've seen a few posters use this when talking about traveling, but can't figure it out.

--- End quote ---

Prince Edward Island I believe.

--- End quote ---
Yes, Home of Anne of Green Gables, red sand beaches, and some of the best lobsters and mussels in the world.

jpcher:
Akin to Carotte's PEI question, I've seen posters us "Big Box Store" . . . I always assumed that they were referring to Home Depot or Lowes or some other hardware/home improvement type center.

However, in some posts it seems like the poster is talking more like a Walmart type store.

Where did the term "Big Box Store" come from and what is it's true meaning?

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: jpcher on June 18, 2013, 06:00:34 PM ---Akin to Carotte's PEI question, I've seen posters us "Big Box Store" . . . I always assumed that they were referring to Home Depot or Lowes or some other hardware/home improvement type center.

However, in some posts it seems like the poster is talking more like a Walmart type store.

--- End quote ---

I've always interpreted "big box store" as a huge chain store that sells many different types of things under one roof, usually in a building that looks like a big box   :P  I'd include Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. all as big box stores.

ETA: another qualification is how, like Wal-Mart, big box stores don't have a real stockroom - the extra stock is all out on the shelves.

blue2000:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on June 18, 2013, 07:33:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: jpcher on June 18, 2013, 06:00:34 PM ---Akin to Carotte's PEI question, I've seen posters us "Big Box Store" . . . I always assumed that they were referring to Home Depot or Lowes or some other hardware/home improvement type center.

--- End quote ---

I've always interpreted "big box store" as a huge chain store that sells many different types of things under one roof, usually in a building that looks like a big box   :P  I'd include Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. all as big box stores.

ETA: another qualification is how, like Wal-Mart, big box stores don't have a real stockroom - the extra stock is all out on the shelves.

--- End quote ---

I'd say the US stores must be very different from Canadian ones, then. Our back room holds about three or four semi trucks' worth of stock. At peak times we may have multiple containers in the back parking lot with a truck's worth of bikes, patio sets, or sale items in each one.

(Having said that, if you ask a salesperson if there are any in the back, they may automatically say no. Sometimes they can't move all that stuff to get the one item you want.)

Onyx_TKD:

--- End quote ---

Here's Wikipedia's take on it: "Big-box store." These items from their list of "architectural characteristics" is a pretty good summary of what I associate with big-box stores:

--- Quote ---Large, free-standing, rectangular, generally single-floor structure...The structure typically sits in the middle of a large, paved parking lot, sometimes referred to as a "sea of asphalt."...Floor space several times greater than traditional retailers in the sector, providing for a large amount of merchandise

--- End quote ---

In addition, the stores I think of as "big box stores" generally have a standard model for the chain and each individual store deviates as little as possible from the chain standard. They try to make the individual sites conform to their standard rather than adapting the individual store to its own surroundings/community. In my mind, the typical big box store is a giant rectangular box-shaped building, identical to every other store in the chain (often down to the internal layout), plopped down in the middle of a large lot that's graded completely flat and paved into a parking lot. Any deviations from the chain's standard cookie-cutter store and parking lot are the bare minimum required to meet local regulations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version