Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 837014 times)

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8040 on: July 22, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
This is going to sound a bit kooky but if you have the freezer space, store any food based garbage in the freezer until garbage day.

Most of what stinks in the garbage is rotting food so by not putting it in the can until the last minute, it really helps with the smell.

I do that with meat wrappings year round. I don't have any trouble with even cole vegetables, and we don't eat melon, which are the two worst plant foods in that respect.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8041 on: July 22, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »
RebeccainGA wrote:

"The fan breaks up the sound waves, which makes the sound seem less."

In this case it's unlikely, because ceiling fans spin at a low enough speed that they're very unlikely to cause sonic jamming, and any reflection of sound caused by the blades would distort the sound, not deaden it.

Thipu1 wrote:

"The fan is about 15 feet away from the TV.  They're on different outlets and the fan is so quiet that we often forget to turn it off before we go to bed.  Turning on the floor fan that's on the same outlet as the TV produces no problem."

I assumed your ceiling fan is hard-wired, so that's why I suspected that it's sharing a circuit with the outlets, and if it's not properly grounded then it could be introducing RF interference or a significant change in power draw when you use it.  A floor fan motor will draw quite a bit less current than a ceiling fan motor when it's running, and if it's properly grounded it won't cause the same sorts of problems.  If you're feeling ambitious, run an extension cord from another room to the TV and see if that makes it stop.

Virg

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #8042 on: July 22, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I have a smelly trashcan problem due, in part, to the heat (since in winter it doesn't start to smell bad until it's 3/4 full).
I'm already changing it more often, but what can I do to help with the smell?
Last time I gave it a thorough clean with bleach to be sure it wasn't the trashcan itself, but it didn't help much.
We have this issue with ostomy trash. Stinks to high heaven! I use the Glad trashbags with Febreeze, put extra old fashioned kitty litter (the kind with activated charcoal) at the bottom of the can (under the liner), and try to keep a lid on it as much as possible.

I'll second the scented trashbags. They cost a bit more, but they work really well.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

dawnfire

« Reply #8043 on: July 22, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
This is going to sound a bit kooky but if you have the freezer space, store any food based garbage in the freezer until garbage day.

Most of what stinks in the garbage is rotting food so by not putting it in the can until the last minute, it really helps with the smell.

I do that in the summer months.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #8044 on: July 22, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »
Back when I lived in Texas, we tried the scented trash bags.  Then it just smelled like rotting trash and scented trash bags.  It was not a good combination.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8045 on: July 23, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »
We use the odor block trash bags for food garbage. They make a difference for us. Anything truly stinky, like used cat litter or fish cleanings gets double bagged in grocery sized plastic bags first.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #8046 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »
Back when I lived in Texas, we tried the scented trash bags.  Then it just smelled like rotting trash and scented trash bags.  It was not a good combination.
They used to be pretty awful. The Glad ones, though, seem to be a really significant improvement. I've tried them all... like I said, ostomy trash is the worst smelling stuff EVER - even worse than cat littler or diapers.

Snooks

« Reply #8047 on: July 23, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
If a recipe calls for peanut butter can I replace it with regular butter?  I really hate nuts but the rest of the recipe looks good.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8048 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
If a recipe calls for peanut butter can I replace it with regular butter?  I really hate nuts but the rest of the recipe looks good.

I doubt it, very much. Dairy butter cooks very differently than peanut butter. One of the points of using peanut butter is the flavor but another is the consistency.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8049 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »
I don't think that will work very well.  Are there other nut butters you would like?  I'd be tempted to sub half butter, half other nut butter and see how it goes.  You might need to up the sugar a little bit, too, as regular peanut butter will have quite a bit of sugar but other nut butters probably won't.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8050 on: July 23, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »

Can you give a brief description of the recipe?  There are things you can sub, but regular dairy butter is probably not suitable.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

oogyda

« Reply #8051 on: July 23, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
They used to be pretty awful. The Glad ones, though, seem to be a really significant improvement. I've tried them all... like I said, ostomy trash is the worst smelling stuff EVER - even worse than cat littler or diapers.

I'm not sure of the size of articles you're talking about, but have you ever considered using a diaper genie or maybe a cat litter genie?  Just a thought.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Snooks

« Reply #8052 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »

Can you give a brief description of the recipe?  There are things you can sub, but regular dairy butter is probably not suitable.

It's a cheesecake with 5oz of peanut butter in the mix (poured over a chocolate crumb and chopped up chocolate bars). I wish I liked nuts it would make life a lot easier but unfortunately they're one of those ingredients I can taste a mile off. I know...first world problem...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8053 on: July 23, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »

It's a cheesecake with 5oz of peanut butter in the mix (poured over a chocolate crumb and chopped up chocolate bars). I wish I liked nuts it would make life a lot easier but unfortunately they're one of those ingredients I can taste a mile off. I know...first world problem...

Well, if it's just a cheesecake, I would probably just 1) leave it out or 2) just swap it out for 5 more ounces of cream cheese (maybe one of the sweet flavored ones).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8054 on: July 23, 2013, 08:52:12 PM »

If the peanut butter is included as a topping or base crust, I think it would be absolutely fine if you left it out all together without substituting anything.

If it's included in the basic cheesecake mix itself, it might be needed as a thickener. In which case, it's probable that you could substitute the peanut butter with extra cream cheese instead of butter.

Would you please post the exact recipe?

(not that it would help us answer your question . . . oh. no. . . . we don't need the exact recipe for that . . . it's just that this sounds like an absolutely decadent cheesecake! ;D)