Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1085108 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8160 on: August 07, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
One of those "I can't believe these stupid old laws" things - in North Carolina you can't carry a concealed weapon over six feet long.

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how you would do that - a really tall guy with a spear down his back, maybe?  (I'm guessing it's meant for "concealed in a vehicle" or the like, but still!)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8161 on: August 07, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
New question --

How difficult is it to drive a 17ft. truck when you've never done it before?

Are there any tips one should know? Things to be aware of? (Especially driving in city traffic.)

DD#1 rented a truck for the move to her apartment tomorrow. The person that was going to drive (he's experienced with this size truck) has been called out of town due to a family emergency. So DD#1 has all her friends lined up for moving day and nobody's ever driven a truck this size before . . . I know that I would be scared spitless (I don't even like driving my own car in the city.)

Oh, and in case you're wondering why such a big truck? DD#1's friend is also moving all of her stuff . . . my house looks like a furniture warehouse right now. :D

Always give yourself extra room to turn; remember that your backend is longer so it will follow you tighter around the corner.  It really isn't that hard and sounds a lot scarier than it actually is.  Remember that you will take longer to stop because you're heavier.  You're also probably a bit wider, too, so don't hug the lines if you usually do because you don't have the same buffer you do in a smaller car.

I've been doing this since I was old enough to drive; you can do it, too!

And, don't forget the added height...I say this because DH crumpled the top of a U-Haul truck once in McDonald's drive-thru :-[

Yikes!

Thanks for the responses. I found a pretty good resource on-line which pretty clearly explained all the ins-n-outs.

Turns out that roomies father was able to drive the truck. Phew! ;D

Girlie

« Reply #8162 on: August 07, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
Maybe this is a really dumb question (I work in a bank, for goodness, sake, but can't get a decent answer there!), but since my husband and I are in that stage of thinking about buying a home, we're trying to figure out the proper steps.

1) Talk to bank.
2) Talk to real estate agent.

We've done neither, because I've been told that I would probably need a pre-qualification first. What exactly IS a pre-qualification (for a FHA loan), are you guaranteed those limits if you find a house that you like, and what should we expect to bring in order to get it? We're pretty concerned, and my bank has been no help at all in clearing this up for me (small bank, doesn't do FHA loans, and apparently takes offense when employees want a mortgage with a lower rate than they are currently offering, which I've heard is high for our area).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8163 on: August 07, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
Pre-qualification is a promise that the bank will loan you up to whatever amount you're qualified for.  It's good to have in hand when you start looking for houses, because it's proof you're serious about buying (instead of just being someone who likes going to open houses and daydreaming about "someday.")  Banks aren't as bad about it as they used to be, but they'll still pre-qualify you for a bigger chunk of your income than you probably ought to spend, so don't take it as "this is our price range now"  :)

If you have a steady job with a paycheck, the process is relatively straightforward - but it varies from bank to bank.  When we refinanced, an internet bank had the best rate - but they needed (no joke) fourteen different things from us, most of which weren't something I normally have sitting around in my file cabinets.  We ended up going with a local credit union which was willing to match the internet bank's rate and only required looking at our account and saying "Yup, they keep money in this thing and they're depositing a paycheck regularly!"

If you work freelance, have irregular income, own your own business, etc. things can be a bit more complicated, and again they'll vary by bank.  (When we bought our house originally, it was a week after DH started his first "real" job.  We went with the bank that was willing to loan to us despite us not having two months' worth of paystubs available.)  In general, the more irregular your income is, the less money the bank is willing to loan you (proportionally), because they don't want to be on the hook if your income stream dries up.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8164 on: August 08, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
New question --

Are there any tips one should know? Things to be aware of? (Especially driving in city traffic.)

DD#1 rented a truck for the move to her apartment tomorrow. The person that was going to drive (he's experienced with this size truck) has been called out of town due to a family emergency. So DD#1 has all her friends lined up for moving day and nobody's ever driven a truck this size before . . . I know that I would be scared spitless (I don't even like driving my own car in the city.)

Oh, and in case you're wondering why such a big truck? DD#1's friend is also moving all of her stuff . . . my house looks like a furniture warehouse right now. :D

Always give yourself extra room to turn; remember that your backend is longer so it will follow you tighter around the corner.  It really isn't that hard and sounds a lot scarier than it actually is.  Remember that you will take longer to stop because you're heavier.  You're also probably a bit wider, too, so don't hug the lines if you usually do because you don't have the same buffer you do in a smaller car.

And, don't forget the added height...I say this because DH crumpled the top of a U-Haul truck once in McDonald's drive-thru :-[

I saw a photo of where someone absent mindedly drove up to an ATM - one with a shade overhanging it - that was considerably shorter than the rented moving truck.  And then left their ATM card in it because they were in such a hurry to get away...turned out that the rental truck company wanted the truck repaired, too.  I wish I remembered what happened - but all I remember is thinking "Crud Monkeys!"
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8165 on: August 08, 2013, 11:54:49 PM »
New question --

I saw a photo of where someone absent mindedly drove up to an ATM - one with a shade overhanging it - that was considerably shorter than the rented moving truck.  And then left their ATM card in it because they were in such a hurry to get away...turned out that the rental truck company wanted the truck repaired, too.  I wish I remembered what happened - but all I remember is thinking "Crud Monkeys!"

I live in a gated community. There's a guard house and two entrance lanes on one side and one, larger, exit lane on the other. One of the entrance lanes is for visitors, who pull up to the gate and are admitted. The other entrance lane has a key card box so that residents can get in and out easily. Both of these lanes are fine for cars and pickups but not nearly big enough for moving vans and things of that ilk. Because of this there's a big sign in front directing trucks to go in via the exit lane (the guard opens the gate for them.)

We get people with big trucks who try to go in the entrance lanes all the time. No problem, they just back out and go in the other side. Except for a recent set. I think they were moving in a new resident, because they had tried to go through the gate on the resident (card access) lane. And managed to scrape the card reader off of its post and nearly break the gate arm. The truck's insurance had to pay us to repair the gate.

Moral of the story: If you're driving a truck pay attention to the signs that say 'trucks go here'.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Cherry91

« Reply #8166 on: August 09, 2013, 06:24:28 AM »
New question --

I live in a gated community. There's a guard house and two entrance lanes on one side and one, larger, exit lane on the other. One of the entrance lanes is for visitors, who pull up to the gate and are admitted. The other entrance lane has a key card box so that residents can get in and out easily. Both of these lanes are fine for cars and pickups but not nearly big enough for moving vans and things of that ilk. Because of this there's a big sign in front directing trucks to go in via the exit lane (the guard opens the gate for them.)

We get people with big trucks who try to go in the entrance lanes all the time. No problem, they just back out and go in the other side. Except for a recent set. I think they were moving in a new resident, because they had tried to go through the gate on the resident (card access) lane. And managed to scrape the card reader off of its post and nearly break the gate arm. The truck's insurance had to pay us to repair the gate.

Moral of the story: If you're driving a truck pay attention to the signs that say 'trucks go here'.

Also be aware of any bolts used to keep the back doors of the truck closed. A supermarket delivery van forgot to bolt their back doors, and when they reversed, the doors swung open and the bolt scored a massive scratch into the front of my mother's car (it was so big there was actually discussion of having to take off the front panel of the car completely, because it might be the only way to repair the damage).

It was only the lightening reflexes of some friends visiting that caught up with the truck before he drove off (the driver had no idea what had happened, and was really upset when he found out). One of our visitors actually jumped the gate to catch the truck!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8167 on: August 09, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

"I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how you would do that - a really tall guy with a spear down his back, maybe?  (I'm guessing it's meant for "concealed in a vehicle" or the like, but still!)"

One weapon that might prompt such a law, due to how easy it is to procure, conceal and use is a long length of steel chain.  If you're a welder, you can cover it with rough metal burrs and have yourself a very effective scourge.

Virg

Snooks

« Reply #8168 on: August 09, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
One of those "I can't believe these stupid old laws" things - in North Carolina you can't carry a concealed weapon over six feet long.

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how you would do that - a really tall guy with a spear down his back, maybe?  (I'm guessing it's meant for "concealed in a vehicle" or the like, but still!)

Riding a cannon disguised as a horse?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8169 on: August 09, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
Pre-qualification is a promise that the bank will loan you up to whatever amount you're qualified for.  It's good to have in hand when you start looking for houses, because it's proof you're serious about buying (instead of just being someone who likes going to open houses and daydreaming about "someday.")  Banks aren't as bad about it as they used to be, but they'll still pre-qualify you for a bigger chunk of your income than you probably ought to spend, so don't take it as "this is our price range now"  :)

If you have a steady job with a paycheck, the process is relatively straightforward - but it varies from bank to bank.  When we refinanced, an internet bank had the best rate - but they needed (no joke) fourteen different things from us, most of which weren't something I normally have sitting around in my file cabinets.  We ended up going with a local credit union which was willing to match the internet bank's rate and only required looking at our account and saying "Yup, they keep money in this thing and they're depositing a paycheck regularly!"

If you work freelance, have irregular income, own your own business, etc. things can be a bit more complicated, and again they'll vary by bank.  (When we bought our house originally, it was a week after DH started his first "real" job.  We went with the bank that was willing to loan to us despite us not having two months' worth of paystubs available.)  In general, the more irregular your income is, the less money the bank is willing to loan you (proportionally), because they don't want to be on the hook if your income stream dries up.

I do a very specialized sort of mortgage underwriting – requestor of 7 – 10 of those documents, heh – and I have to say, that is an excellent explanation.

…and keep in mind, we request those documents for your own protection as well as ours. All those specialty program and sub-prime “write your own loan” mortgage programs are what put a lot of lenders out of business. We have a few of those left, but not many. The joke is, “Is the home currently in flames? No? You’re approved! Yaaay!” Yeah … mortage humor. It’s even worse than appraisal humor.  :P

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

snowdragon

« Reply #8170 on: August 10, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »

In martial art there are things like rope darts ( 12-50 ft lengths of rope/leather that have weighted darts or balls on them) whips, chains, and three sectional staffs to name a few that I've trained with.  All can be hidden quite effectively. Also there are canes that extend when a button is pushed, that will extend 6 ft.
 It's not as silly as it seems at first glance.

Snooks

« Reply #8171 on: August 11, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
We don't have pudding in the UK, I'm not sure if we have an equivalent (Angel Delight maybe? UK ehellions any suggestions?)

Recipe as promised, I'm in the UK so I'm not sure all the ingredients will be available in the US

Crust
125g Oreo Biscuits
125g Digestive Biscuits
150g Unsalted Butter (melted)

Filling
3 Mars Bars
230g Cream Cheese
80g Soured Cream
140g Crunchy Peanut Butter
2 Large Eggs

23cm diameter pie dish

Method
Crush the Oreos and digestives together and pour in melted butter.  Press the mixture into the dish and put it in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
Preheat the oven to 160C.
Cut the Mars bars into 5mm pieces and arrange over the base.
Whisk the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, add the soured cream and peanut butter.
Add eggs one at a time.
Spoon over the Mars bars then bake for 35-40 mins.
Leave pie to cool then set in the fridge overnight.

If you want to you can top with crushed peanuts and chocolate ganache.

With that recipe I would definitely just sub out the PB with regular cream cheese.  It looks like it has a lot of sweet and I think the extra cream cheese may tone that down a bit.  Then again, I might toss in a few caramel bits with the plain cream cheese just for the caramel goodness.  ;)

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I ended up adding 20g extra cream cheese and some caramel. Everyone said they liked it and my brother who claims to have lost his sweet tooth had two slices.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #8172 on: August 11, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how you would do that - a really tall guy with a spear down his back, maybe?

Flippant anecdata alert: Not quite that long, but at Nottingham rail station en route to a battle event, I did have a minor set-to with two bored British Transport Police staff who decided to stop and interrogate me at length over the sword hilt sticking out of my rucksack - all the while apparently completely blind to the five-foot gun also slung over my back...

Evidently I can cast +5 concealment over my firearms, but not my blades. ::)

JadeGirl

« Reply #8173 on: August 11, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
My longbow is 68" long unstrung and I lug it around in a fishing rod case so I guess you could make the argument that it is concealed. The police who pulled me over for an RBT were amused and slightly alarmed.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8174 on: August 12, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
Are there different kinds of relishes?

The reason I ask is I was in 5 Guys and ordered a hot dog with pickle relish.

Cashier: So you want pickles AND relish?

Me: No, just pickle relish

Cashier: We have both pickles and relish

Me: Just pickle relish, please

Cashier: Pickles AND relish?

Me: *points to the word "relish" on the menu board* Relish, please.