Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1108959 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8175 on: August 12, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Yes, I think there are different relishes. At a minimum, dill and sweet relish which are both pickle based. But there is also tomatoe relish, corn relish, and pepper relish which are all items I've made.

But I'm thinking they may only have one type of relish, which is pickle. So when you said pickle relish, she wasn't registering that there are other types of relish so assumed a customer would ask for relish OR pickles and your designating pickle relish was throwing her.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8176 on: August 12, 2013, 11:38:19 PM »
Yes, there are different kinds of relishes. If they only have "relish" listed on the menu, then it's pickle relish and there's no need to specify. That's why they only list the one. :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8177 on: August 13, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
I've always wondered about something in restaurants.  On tables I see bottles of soy sauce, ketchup, hot sauce, etc.  and it seems this stuff is left out on the tables, unrefrigerated, day in and day out.

How can this stuff go unrefrigerated even for just a day?  Do they dump out all the stuff at night and refill them with fresh stuff in the morning?

I hesitate to use the Sriracha sauce because I imagine it's been sitting out, unrefrigerated for days on end.  Blech!  And the soy sauce?  When was it put out on the table?  Doesn't it ever go bad?

At home, I keep all that kind of stuff refrigerated until it's actually being used.  I don't leave it out overnight, and if it inadvertently gets left out, I throw it away.

Anyone know the scoop on this?

Cherry91

« Reply #8178 on: August 13, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
I've always wondered about something in restaurants.  On tables I see bottles of soy sauce, ketchup, hot sauce, etc.  and it seems this stuff is left out on the tables, unrefrigerated, day in and day out.

How can this stuff go unrefrigerated even for just a day?  Do they dump out all the stuff at night and refill them with fresh stuff in the morning?

I hesitate to use the Sriracha sauce because I imagine it's been sitting out, unrefrigerated for days on end.  Blech!  And the soy sauce?  When was it put out on the table?  Doesn't it ever go bad?

At home, I keep all that kind of stuff refrigerated until it's actually being used.  I don't leave it out overnight, and if it inadvertently gets left out, I throw it away.

A lot of sauces have high sugar and vinegar content, which are both ingredients that bacteria struggle to grow in.

Many places I've been do try and avoid leaving sauces out nowadays, instead only bringing them out if they're requested.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8179 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:34 PM »
Are there different kinds of relishes?

The reason I ask is I was in 5 Guys and ordered a hot dog with pickle relish.

Cashier: So you want pickles AND relish?

Me: No, just pickle relish

Cashier: We have both pickles and relish

Me: Just pickle relish, please

Cashier: Pickles AND relish?

Me: *points to the word "relish" on the menu board* Relish, please.

This wasn't a relish vs relish situation. They have pickle relish and slices of pickle (aka bread-and-butter pickles.) haven't you ever had pickles on a burger before? They're pretty standard at fast food places
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8180 on: August 13, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »

This wasn't a relish vs relish situation. They have pickle relish and slices of pickle (aka bread-and-butter pickles.) haven't you ever had pickles on a burger before? They're pretty standard at fast food places

I was ordering a hot dog, and I have only rarely seen pickle slices on hot dogs.  I thought the cashier would know what I meant by "pickle relish".

cwm

« Reply #8181 on: August 13, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »

Most sauces don't actually have instructions to refrigerate them and are very stable at room temperature. I suppose it could go bad, but it would take so long that it will have all been used by then anyway. I know ketchup/mustard are usually kept on shelves in a storage area if they're not kept on the table, so if you ask for a bottle it won't have been refrigerated either. I frequently see shelves of the stuff at Olive Garden when I go there.

I was ordering a hot dog, and I have only rarely seen pickle slices on hot dogs.  I thought the cashier would know what I meant by "pickle relish".

It could also be that the person taking your order usually just had people list what they wanted, so he was hearing you list "Pickle, relish" as opposed to the one item.

And as a side note, I love pickles on my hot dogs. I can't stand sweet relish, but love me some dill pickles tucked nicely between the dog and bun. Mmmm....

Dangit, now I'm  hungry and can't get lunch.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8182 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »
Kind of a cross between liquorice and celery.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #8183 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
Ignore this post. It seems I can't tell the difference between an old bit in the thread and the new page.

Maybe I need more sleep and less time on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:01:59 PM by cwm »

Cherry91

« Reply #8184 on: August 13, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »
Because of this thread, I really want a hotdog now...

magicdomino

« Reply #8185 on: August 13, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »

A lot of sauces have high sugar and vinegar content, which are both ingredients that bacteria struggle to grow in.

Not to mention the high salt content.  Bacteria just don't have a chance in that environment.  Even commercial mayonaise is a lot more stable than most people think.  Now, the ingredients can lose flavor over months (or years), which is why many recommend refrigeration.  At the rate that restaurants go through condiments, that isn't a problem.  The bottle of sriracha on a restaurant table gets used a lot faster than most families would use it.

I've always kept soy sauce in a cabinet, and never had a problem even though it takes me about 6 to 8 months to use up a bottle.  I did once have a problem with ketchup due to a stray female fruit fly  :P so for the next few years I was refrigerating it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8186 on: August 13, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »

Pickles on a hot dog are common, so I understand her wanting to clarify that you didn't want Pickles and Relish since you were saying pickle relish. A Chicago style dog normally has sweet pickle relish and a dill spear amongst it's condiments.

Carotte

« Reply #8187 on: August 13, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »

While bored waiting for my food a few days ago I was looking at the ingredients on the little packs off single serve sauce. One of them had: glucose, fructose syrup, treacle, sugar  :o , most where at the top of the list, meaning they represent quite a bit of the sauce by themselfs.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #8188 on: August 13, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »
Has anyone seen the Dunkin Donuts commercial with the three girls wearing the same dress, but luckily drinking three different kinds of iced coffee? Who is the one furthest to the left? I know I've seen her somewhere before. It's driving me nuts!

ETA:  This is the video I'm talking about:

http://vimeo.com/39286968#comment_9737288
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:44:23 PM by mrs_deb »

jilly

« Reply #8189 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:35 AM »
I have a couple of photos for the gross out thread how do I post them. I know it's been asked before but the search isn't working.