Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 840524 times)

magicdomino

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8190 on: August 13, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
I've always wondered about something in restaurants.  On tables I see bottles of soy sauce, ketchup, hot sauce, etc.  and it seems this stuff is left out on the tables, unrefrigerated, day in and day out.

How can this stuff go unrefrigerated even for just a day?  Do they dump out all the stuff at night and refill them with fresh stuff in the morning?

I hesitate to use the Sriracha sauce because I imagine it's been sitting out, unrefrigerated for days on end.  Blech!  And the soy sauce?  When was it put out on the table?  Doesn't it ever go bad?

At home, I keep all that kind of stuff refrigerated until it's actually being used.  I don't leave it out overnight, and if it inadvertently gets left out, I throw it away.

Anyone know the scoop on this?

A lot of sauces have high sugar and vinegar content, which are both ingredients that bacteria struggle to grow in.

Not to mention the high salt content.  Bacteria just don't have a chance in that environment.  Even commercial mayonaise is a lot more stable than most people think.  Now, the ingredients can lose flavor over months (or years), which is why many recommend refrigeration.  At the rate that restaurants go through condiments, that isn't a problem.  The bottle of sriracha on a restaurant table gets used a lot faster than most families would use it.

I've always kept soy sauce in a cabinet, and never had a problem even though it takes me about 6 to 8 months to use up a bottle.  I did once have a problem with ketchup due to a stray female fruit fly  :P so for the next few years I was refrigerating it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8191 on: August 13, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
Are there different kinds of relishes?

The reason I ask is I was in 5 Guys and ordered a hot dog with pickle relish.

Cashier: So you want pickles AND relish?

Me: No, just pickle relish

Cashier: We have both pickles and relish

Me: Just pickle relish, please

Cashier: Pickles AND relish?

Me: *points to the word "relish" on the menu board* Relish, please.

This wasn't a relish vs relish situation. They have pickle relish and slices of pickle (aka bread-and-butter pickles.) haven't you ever had pickles on a burger before? They're pretty standard at fast food places

I was ordering a hot dog, and I have only rarely seen pickle slices on hot dogs.  I thought the cashier would know what I meant by "pickle relish".
Pickles on a hot dog are common, so I understand her wanting to clarify that you didn't want Pickles and Relish since you were saying pickle relish. A Chicago style dog normally has sweet pickle relish and a dill spear amongst it's condiments.

Carotte

« Reply #8192 on: August 13, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »

A lot of sauces have high sugar and vinegar content, which are both ingredients that bacteria struggle to grow in.

While bored waiting for my food a few days ago I was looking at the ingredients on the little packs off single serve sauce. One of them had: glucose, fructose syrup, treacle, sugar  :o , most where at the top of the list, meaning they represent quite a bit of the sauce by themselfs.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #8193 on: August 13, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »
Has anyone seen the Dunkin Donuts commercial with the three girls wearing the same dress, but luckily drinking three different kinds of iced coffee? Who is the one furthest to the left? I know I've seen her somewhere before. It's driving me nuts!

ETA:  This is the video I'm talking about:

http://vimeo.com/39286968#comment_9737288
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:44:23 PM by mrs_deb »

jilly

« Reply #8194 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:35 AM »
I have a couple of photos for the gross out thread how do I post them. I know it's been asked before but the search isn't working.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8195 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »
Like this (remove the *s, they're just there to make the tags show up!):

If you want to post the image itself, not a link to it, you put [*img*]url goes in here[*/img*]

If you want to post a link to the image, so people can choose to see or not, you put [*url*=url goes here]descriptive text goes here[*/url*] (like if you want it to say, for example, "bunions" or "sebaceous cyst" or something, that goes in the descriptive text.)

Hope this helps, jilly. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

jilly

« Reply #8196 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:38 AM »
thanks there should be a nice gross photo in the thread now :)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8197 on: August 14, 2013, 03:27:35 AM »
You're welcome! And that's pretty gross, alright. Awesome. :D
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8198 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »
Has anyone seen the Dunkin Donuts commercial with the three girls wearing the same dress, but luckily drinking three different kinds of iced coffee? Who is the one furthest to the left? I know I've seen her somewhere before. It's driving me nuts!

I can't help you (I suspect she is in other commercials but you probably guessed that already).  However, your question did raise a question in my mind:  Have other people noticed the same actors in more and more commercials?  It seems that before I'd see an actor in only one commercial.  Now they seem to be in many.  For example, not long ago a woman was in a TurboTax commercial, car commercial, and phone (Apple, I think) commercial all airing at the same time.  I've noticed another woman in a Pepsi commercial, Pizza Hut commercial, a woman in the background in another, as well as a few others.  Maybe it has always been this way and I've only just started to notice.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8199 on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
I think it has been happening for a while but the current actors seem to have more distinctive 'characters'. Also, more of them  seem to be women.

mrs_deb

« Reply #8200 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
You're so right.  After I first saw the commercial where the woman bangs the pans so her kids don't hear her husband saying that Chef Boy Ar Dee is healthy eating...I started seeing her EVERYWHERE.

ETA:  This woman.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeDjuKYzX8w
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:19:34 AM by mrs_deb »

Cherry91

« Reply #8201 on: August 14, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »

I can't help you (I suspect she is in other commercials but you probably guessed that already).  However, your question did raise a question in my mind:  Have other people noticed the same actors in more and more commercials?  It seems that before I'd see an actor in only one commercial.  Now they seem to be in many.  For example, not long ago a woman was in a TurboTax commercial, car commercial, and phone (Apple, I think) commercial all airing at the same time.  I've noticed another woman in a Pepsi commercial, Pizza Hut commercial, a woman in the background in another, as well as a few others.  Maybe it has always been this way and I've only just started to notice.

There's a thing called Cognitive Recognition I think, where if something has been brought to your attention recently, you're more likely to recognise it elsewhere. Often if appears as though something has suddenly appeared everywhere when in fact it has always been there, it was just out of your notice.

Is it possible that's the case here?

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8202 on: August 14, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »

There's a thing called Cognitive Recognition I think, where if something has been brought to your attention recently, you're more likely to recognise it elsewhere. Often if appears as though something has suddenly appeared everywhere when in fact it has always been there, it was just out of your notice.

So this has always been the case and I've just started to notice?  Maybe.  Maybe there is something distinctive with these paticular actors (male and female) that stood out for me.

I noticed the actor in the phone commericial trying to decide with his family who should get to use more data in a Major Crimes episode.  It took me a while to place him.

mrs_deb

« Reply #8203 on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

I think this is likely, too :-).  For example, my stepson recently bought a Jeep Wrangler - now I see them EVERYWHERE and I swear I never noticed them before.

I do wonder, also, if it's partially because some of these commercials are so cute and clever that I actually pay attention to them rather than just tuning them out.  So when I see them in other places, I automatically say, Hey, it's the Geico Boss, or the Discount-Double-Check-I'm-A-Robot guy, or Joe Isuzu, etc.,  etc.

cwm

« Reply #8204 on: August 14, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »

I've noticed this with the Yellow Car Game my sister and I play. When you see a yellow car, you can hit the other people in the car. Unless it's a commercial vehicle. You can hit twice for VW bugs. And if someone does hit on a commercial vehicle, or a car that's not quite yellow (orange and gold can be mistaken, depending on the light and distance), you get "retaliation", which is two hits.

Not that we hit hard, more of a gentle tap than anything else, but I've noticed that there are yellow cars everywhere!