Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1125015 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8190 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »
Like this (remove the *s, they're just there to make the tags show up!):

If you want to post the image itself, not a link to it, you put [*img*]url goes in here[*/img*]

If you want to post a link to the image, so people can choose to see or not, you put [*url*=url goes here]descriptive text goes here[*/url*] (like if you want it to say, for example, "bunions" or "sebaceous cyst" or something, that goes in the descriptive text.)

Hope this helps, jilly. :)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

jilly

« Reply #8191 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:38 AM »
thanks there should be a nice gross photo in the thread now :)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8192 on: August 14, 2013, 03:27:35 AM »
You're welcome! And that's pretty gross, alright. Awesome. :D

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8193 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »
Has anyone seen the Dunkin Donuts commercial with the three girls wearing the same dress, but luckily drinking three different kinds of iced coffee? Who is the one furthest to the left? I know I've seen her somewhere before. It's driving me nuts!

ETA:  This is the video I'm talking about:

http://vimeo.com/39286968#comment_9737288

I can't help you (I suspect she is in other commercials but you probably guessed that already).  However, your question did raise a question in my mind:  Have other people noticed the same actors in more and more commercials?  It seems that before I'd see an actor in only one commercial.  Now they seem to be in many.  For example, not long ago a woman was in a TurboTax commercial, car commercial, and phone (Apple, I think) commercial all airing at the same time.  I've noticed another woman in a Pepsi commercial, Pizza Hut commercial, a woman in the background in another, as well as a few others.  Maybe it has always been this way and I've only just started to notice.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8194 on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
I think it has been happening for a while but the current actors seem to have more distinctive 'characters'. Also, more of them  seem to be women.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #8195 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
You're so right.  After I first saw the commercial where the woman bangs the pans so her kids don't hear her husband saying that Chef Boy Ar Dee is healthy eating...I started seeing her EVERYWHERE.

ETA:  This woman.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeDjuKYzX8w
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:19:34 AM by mrs_deb »

Cherry91

« Reply #8196 on: August 14, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
Has anyone seen the Dunkin Donuts commercial with the three girls wearing the same dress, but luckily drinking three different kinds of iced coffee? Who is the one furthest to the left? I know I've seen her somewhere before. It's driving me nuts!

I can't help you (I suspect she is in other commercials but you probably guessed that already).  However, your question did raise a question in my mind:  Have other people noticed the same actors in more and more commercials?  It seems that before I'd see an actor in only one commercial.  Now they seem to be in many.  For example, not long ago a woman was in a TurboTax commercial, car commercial, and phone (Apple, I think) commercial all airing at the same time.  I've noticed another woman in a Pepsi commercial, Pizza Hut commercial, a woman in the background in another, as well as a few others.  Maybe it has always been this way and I've only just started to notice.

There's a thing called Cognitive Recognition I think, where if something has been brought to your attention recently, you're more likely to recognise it elsewhere. Often if appears as though something has suddenly appeared everywhere when in fact it has always been there, it was just out of your notice.

Is it possible that's the case here?

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8197 on: August 14, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »

There's a thing called Cognitive Recognition I think, where if something has been brought to your attention recently, you're more likely to recognise it elsewhere. Often if appears as though something has suddenly appeared everywhere when in fact it has always been there, it was just out of your notice.

So this has always been the case and I've just started to notice?  Maybe.  Maybe there is something distinctive with these paticular actors (male and female) that stood out for me.

I noticed the actor in the phone commericial trying to decide with his family who should get to use more data in a Major Crimes episode.  It took me a while to place him.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #8198 on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

I think this is likely, too :-).  For example, my stepson recently bought a Jeep Wrangler - now I see them EVERYWHERE and I swear I never noticed them before.

I do wonder, also, if it's partially because some of these commercials are so cute and clever that I actually pay attention to them rather than just tuning them out.  So when I see them in other places, I automatically say, Hey, it's the Geico Boss, or the Discount-Double-Check-I'm-A-Robot guy, or Joe Isuzu, etc.,  etc.

cwm

« Reply #8199 on: August 14, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »

I've noticed this with the Yellow Car Game my sister and I play. When you see a yellow car, you can hit the other people in the car. Unless it's a commercial vehicle. You can hit twice for VW bugs. And if someone does hit on a commercial vehicle, or a car that's not quite yellow (orange and gold can be mistaken, depending on the light and distance), you get "retaliation", which is two hits.

Not that we hit hard, more of a gentle tap than anything else, but I've noticed that there are yellow cars everywhere!

MrTango

« Reply #8200 on: August 14, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »
Outdoor Girl, I think that central a/c uses a different system than central heat (unless I'm just totally off base). In other words, the cooled or heated air flows through the same ducts, but the thing that cools the air is separate from the thing that heats it. My parents have central air and heat, so they have a furnace for the heat and a big honking a/c compressor unit thing next to the house for the a/c. So ultimately, the power source for your heat wouldn't necessarily matter to how you cool your house. Whether or not the heating system uses ducts would make a difference, though.

I'm not entirely sure about that, actually! The outdoor AC unit is what COOLS the air, and vents the heat back outside, but in our house, both the AC and the heat are apparently forced into the house through the furnace. (It doesn't make much sense to me, but the furnace does come on when the AC unit kicks in, it just isn't generating heat.) Then again, our furnace also apparently incorporates a dehumidifier - we had to have it serviced for water in the motor because the drain tube was clogged - so maybe it's both in one, and I'm just confused!

That's because the fan that forces air to circulate through your house is located in the furnace.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8201 on: August 14, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »
Outdoor Girl, I think that central a/c uses a different system than central heat (unless I'm just totally off base). In other words, the cooled or heated air flows through the same ducts, but the thing that cools the air is separate from the thing that heats it. My parents have central air and heat, so they have a furnace for the heat and a big honking a/c compressor unit thing next to the house for the a/c. So ultimately, the power source for your heat wouldn't necessarily matter to how you cool your house. Whether or not the heating system uses ducts would make a difference, though.

I'm not entirely sure about that, actually! The outdoor AC unit is what COOLS the air, and vents the heat back outside, but in our house, both the AC and the heat are apparently forced into the house through the furnace. (It doesn't make much sense to me, but the furnace does come on when the AC unit kicks in, it just isn't generating heat.) Then again, our furnace also apparently incorporates a dehumidifier - we had to have it serviced for water in the motor because the drain tube was clogged - so maybe it's both in one, and I'm just confused!

That's because the fan that forces air to circulate through your house is located in the furnace.

I'm aware of that now. :) I'd never dealt with central air before moving out here. I fully admit I was being dumb!

Here's one - I'm SURE I know some answers to this, but right now I can't even think straight. What's the best way to unclog a very stuffy head and nose? And why is it that when I'm sitting up, my nose is blocked up tighter than anything, but the instant I lay down, everything makes a giant dash for freedom? (And when I get up to blow my nose, it's right back to being blocked and nothing comes out! I HATE being sick!  >:()

I've tried hot tea and a hot bath, but I'd like something that might last long enough to let me get some sleep.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8202 on: August 14, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
Here's one - I'm SURE I know some answers to this, but right now I can't even think straight. What's the best way to unclog a very stuffy head and nose? And why is it that when I'm sitting up, my nose is blocked up tighter than anything, but the instant I lay down, everything makes a giant dash for freedom? (And when I get up to blow my nose, it's right back to being blocked and nothing comes out! I HATE being sick!  >:()

I've tried hot tea and a hot bath, but I'd like something that might last long enough to let me get some sleep.

Blech. This happened to me with my last cold. It was incredibly annoying. The neti pot is your friend. I also like to take guaifenisin (Mucinex) with a bucketload of water. And then finally, the thing that helped most was to bend down so my head was upside down and kind of move it from side to side while trying to blow my nose, and then when you stand up, once the dizziness passes, trying blowing your nose some more. Just be gentle. It can hurt your ears. I looked like an idiot, but it really helped clear out my sinuses. I've never had a cold that bad before, where my sinuses wouldn't clear out at all on their own. It was horrible.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8203 on: August 14, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »

Blech. This happened to me with my last cold. It was incredibly annoying. The neti pot is your friend. I also like to take guaifenisin (Mucinex) with a bucketload of water. And then finally, the thing that helped most was to bend down so my head was upside down and kind of move it from side to side while trying to blow my nose, and then when you stand up, once the dizziness passes, trying blowing your nose some more. Just be gentle. It can hurt your ears. I looked like an idiot, but it really helped clear out my sinuses. I've never had a cold that bad before, where my sinuses wouldn't clear out at all on their own. It was horrible.

You know, I didn't even think of a neti pot. I'll try that and the upside-down thing. Thanks!

SlitherHiss

« Reply #8204 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »

The neti pot really is magic. Disgusting, disgusting magic.

I would also recommend a long, hot shower. Sit down in the tub if you feel woozy, but keep the door closed and the fan off, and let the bathroom get steamy as possible. I sometimes find that letting the shower stream hit my sinus area helps. It's a little massage, the heat loosens things up, and the moisture in the air will help soothe your mucus membranes.