Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1025319 times)

Cherry91

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8220 on: August 15, 2013, 03:57:51 AM »
I'm a little late to the party, but I know an acupressure trick that's great for clearing the head.

Raise your hands to your head so that your fingers are on your temples and your thumbs are pointing down towards the floor, then press the curve of your thumbs your eyebrows, right on the ridge above your eye sockets. It might hurt a little if you're congested, but if you can manage it, press along the line of the eyebrows, starting on the inside by the nose and working your way out. Try to keep your fingers lightly on your temples while you do it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:40:18 AM by Cherry91 »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8221 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »
The neti pot really is magic. Disgusting, disgusting magic.

I would also recommend a long, hot shower. Sit down in the tub if you feel woozy, but keep the door closed and the fan off, and let the bathroom get steamy as possible. I sometimes find that letting the shower stream hit my sinus area helps. It's a little massage, the heat loosens things up, and the moisture in the air will help soothe your mucus membranes.

I'll probably end up doing that just before bed. My fan's wired into the lightswitch, unfortunately, but it doesn't work too well, so I think I can steam myself to near-oblivion. ;D

Another thing that's remarkably effective at clearing phlegm out of one's throat is alcohol.  It's a very effective solvent.  As long as you don't have any religious or other reason to avoid it, a small (1/4 ounce) sip of 80-proof spirits is very useful.  (There's a reason cough syrup used to contain a significant dose of alcohol).

**I wouldn't do this if your throat is raw, however.  That just hurts!

My go to sinus clearer is a shot of the cheapest whiskey I can find; and you have to let it linger in your mouth.  I learned this by accident as a bar tender but I've sworn by it every since.

My doc had me switch to the sinus rinse thingie http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse_isotonic.php

It makes neti pot magic look like a cheap parlor trick.  This thing is like using a jet sprayer instead of a garden hose to clean off your driveway.  I do warm my water up a bit first as I find the warm helps with the pain.  After I de-snot, I was told to use Afrin very sparingly.  I cannot use it before I do the sinus rinse since I'm so plugged up it can't get in.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MrTango

« Reply #8222 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »

I would also recommend a long, hot shower. Sit down in the tub if you feel woozy, but keep the door closed and the fan off, and let the bathroom get steamy as possible. I sometimes find that letting the shower stream hit my sinus area helps. It's a little massage, the heat loosens things up, and the moisture in the air will help soothe your mucus membranes.

I'll probably end up doing that just before bed. My fan's wired into the lightswitch, unfortunately, but it doesn't work too well, so I think I can steam myself to near-oblivion. ;D

Another thing that's remarkably effective at clearing phlegm out of one's throat is alcohol.  It's a very effective solvent.  As long as you don't have any religious or other reason to avoid it, a small (1/4 ounce) sip of 80-proof spirits is very useful.  (There's a reason cough syrup used to contain a significant dose of alcohol).

My go to sinus clearer is a shot of the cheapest whiskey I can find; and you have to let it linger in your mouth.  I learned this by accident as a bar tender but I've sworn by it every since.

I frequently take a small shot of Jameson right before church.  It clears the throat so I don't get all phlegmy when trying to sing the psalm.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8223 on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »
Jameson is our go to as well, though I have in mind to pick up some blackberry brandy now.

When I am not well, DH makes me brandy coffee, it always helps.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8224 on: August 15, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
When I start to get a tickle in my throat or feel a cold coming on, I drink something called an 'Alabama Slammer'.  Equal parts Southern Comfort and Amaretto, topped with orange juice.  You put in some Sprite or soda for a bit of fizz and/or add a splash of grenadine for colour and sweetness.

I don't know whether it is the alcohol, the vitamin C in the orange juice or completely psychosomatic but 9 times out of 10, I don't get the cold.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8225 on: August 15, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
I have had sinus problems most of my life, except that my sinuses drained when I stood up, and clogged when I laid down.  Turns out, I was allergic to my cat!  D'oh! 

Anyway.....if you don't want to steam up the whole bathroom, just boil a pan of water on the stove.  TAKE THE PAN OFF THE BURNER (very important!) and set it on a counter, or on a hot pad on the table.  Sit down, drape a towel over your head and place your face directly over the hot just-boiling water. Create a nice steam tent and BREATHE.    Oh, it's best to take your glasses off before doing this.  (heehee). 
This is a good way to steam up your nasal passages.   

I buy generic guaifenisen (Mucinex) from medvitamins.com, and I buy it by the CASE.  I have it everywhere - in my purse, next to my bed, in my office desk drawer, next to my sofa seat.....it's my go-to medicine for nearly everything mucus-related. For the record, get the gelatin capsules rather than the pressed powder caplets.  They stick in your throat.  And drink, drink, drink.  You need the fluids!   I use a CPAP with a nasal mask, so a stuffed nose means No Sleep At All.   I also have a neti pot, and that wonderful sinus rinse bottle.  That is kind of awesome, isn't it? 

magicdomino

« Reply #8226 on: August 15, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »

Kills the germs though.   :)  Once on a business trip out of town, a co-worker gave me a sherry glass of Wild Turkey, and told me to sip it.  Cured that sore throat very nicely, and tasted better than the hotel's free Happy Hour sherry. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8227 on: August 15, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
I get a prescription cough syrup that works to kill a sore throat in one dose. It does make you sleep for a few hours, but that helps too.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8228 on: August 15, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
Well, I'm feeling a lot better today. Just left with a mild headache and this infernal cough. So, that's something!

I'll definitely be picking up a better rinse kit, or at least a real neti pot, though. I've been using one of those rubber bulbs you use to suction snot out of a baby. Works, but I'm sure it's much less pleasant than the real thing.  ::)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8229 on: August 15, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »
I recommend the ceramic Neti pots. They seem to be much more durable and easier to clean.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #8230 on: August 15, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
RE: Neti pots
Y'all please be safe while irrigating your sinuses! I've heard great things about safely-used neti pots, but also horror stories about what can happen using water straight from the tap that isn't quite clean enough. I don't want to get into medical stuff by posting links, but it's easy to google and find instructions on what is safe to use.

And back to your regularly scheduled thread.  ;)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8231 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Also make sure to shut the cats out of the bathroom before you Neti. They're curious and have little sense of personal boundaries.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8232 on: August 15, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »
Also make sure to shut the cats out of the bathroom before you Neti. They're curious and have little sense of personal boundaries.

LOL!  I can also recommend that you either cover your mirror or cover your eyes.   Once in awhile I've caught a glimpse of what I look like at the time, and I either choke with laughter or grossness.  Either way, the main word here is CHOKE.   

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8233 on: August 15, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »
New Question:

I'm not sure who to call or what to google (the airlines or the airport?) Is this even allowed any more?

DD#2 is going to France in a couple of months and she wants me to come inside the airport and wait with her until she boards the plane. I'd really like to do that, and I'd like to meet her at the arrival gate when she gets off the plane coming back home.

I am under the impression that you need to have a ticket in order to get past the security check-in. Is this true?

How do I find out what I need to do so that I can wait with her before departure and meet her once she arrives?

Go to your airline ticket counter and ask for a "Gate Pass".  There may be a specific line for that.  Or if your DD is youngish (under 18) go to  the "Unaccompanied minors" line and ask for a Gate Pass.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8234 on: August 15, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »

Gish is a big fan of that. He says he knows I am super sick when I don’t want “vodka therapy.” 
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem