Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1026910 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8280 on: August 29, 2013, 11:19:24 PM »
I usually just use a very old cloth diaper, it works a treat.

Unless the first users of the diapers are 44 and 42. The diapers wear out in about 35 years.
But you know what?  You DON'T have to have another baby to get more!  You just buy some.  Probably off of Amazon...do they still sell cloth diapers at places like Walmart?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8281 on: August 29, 2013, 11:22:06 PM »
How does one start a gas-powered mower?

I'm house sitting and I've never used a gas-powered mower before (as a child chores were divided by gender and the only time I lived in a place with a lawn as an adult, I had a push power). I filled it up with gas, pushed the red button and pulled the cord but nothing happened. There's an extra handle as well: do I squeeze it or not?
Yes.  That's a "deadman's switch."  You have to keep it squeezed the whole time you are using the mower.  If you let it go, that kills the motor.  It's a safety thing, designed to stop the mower in case of an accident/heart attack/idiocy on the part of the operator. 
into books first.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8282 on: August 29, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »
I usually just use a very old cloth diaper, it works a treat.

Unless the first users of the diapers are 44 and 42. The diapers wear out in about 35 years.
But you know what?  You DON'T have to have another baby to get more!  You just buy some.  Probably off of Amazon...do they still sell cloth diapers at places like Walmart?

Silly me. I just looked at Walmart a few months ago! The closest I could find were sold as burp towels (not the rubber lined ones), and I found some diapers that were in a package for about $4 apiece in all. 3M Micro cloths are cheaper. Not worth looking online.

We also are at the end of our babyfood jars. You know: screw holders. We still have one baby bottle with lubricating oil in it: those measurements on the side are perfect! Oh, and the last diaper pin that I had in my sewing kit fell apart about 4 years ago because the plastic disintegrated.

Now, to the next generations and more stupid questions, which are not stupid questions:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:48:44 AM by Luci45 »

Xandraea

« Reply #8283 on: August 30, 2013, 12:44:59 AM »
I use this: Casabella Mini Chenille Duster.

I like it because you can take the duster part off the handle and toss it in the wash (or wash it in the sink). It takes approximately forever to dry, but it does get actually clean when you wash it. It also takes awhile for it to get dirty enough to need it unless you're doing really serious dusting.

I really prefer not to use disposable cleaning products for most things. Swiffer products absolutely work, but they just generate so much garbage. I'd much rather have something that is washable and reusable, even if it takes a bit more effort on my part.

Me too, I love my washable duster (same as above), and I have a reusable microfiber mop as well, where microfiber cloth pulls off and can be thrown in the wash with the duster chenille. It felt so good the other day to clean/mop the whole house then toss both in the wash with the bathmat and a small rug. I also use microfiber cloths to clean up random dog accidents. They're super-absorbent and go right into the wash too.  I got a huge stack of 'em (like 25?) at Sam's a few years ago.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8284 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:31 AM »

I'm house sitting and I've never used a gas-powered mower before (as a child chores were divided by gender and the only time I lived in a place with a lawn as an adult, I had a push power). I filled it up with gas, pushed the red button and pulled the cord but nothing happened. There's an extra handle as well: do I squeeze it or not?

There should be instructions on the machine.  I'm going to give you a general rundown; it may or may not work.

1. Make sure the gas is turned on.  Some mowers have a switch for this, some do not.  If there is no switch, you can assume the gas is on.
2.  The red button is the primer.  Push it 5-10 times in succession.
3.  Hold down the killswitch (the handle you're talking about) and pull the cord until the engine tries to turn over.
4.  Push the primer a few more times, hold down the handle, and pull the cord until the engine actually starts.  If you let go of that handle, the motor will stop.  If that does happen, you do not need to prime it again (you only do that when the motor has been off long enough to cool down), just hold the handle and pull the cord until it restarts.

If the machine has a choke, make sure it is open the first time you try to start it.  Once the motor starts running, slowly close it.  If the motor starts to sputter as you close it, stop until the motor runs solid, then start closing it again.  Repeat until it is closed and the motor is running smoothly.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8285 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:22 AM »

There should be instructions on the machine.  I'm going to give you a general rundown; it may or may not work.

1. Make sure the gas is turned on.  Some mowers have a switch for this, some do not.  If there is no switch, you can assume the gas is on.
3.  Hold down the killswitch (the handle you're talking about) and pull the cord until the engine tries to turn over.
4.  Push the primer a few more times, hold down the handle, and pull the cord until the engine actually starts.  If you let go of that handle, the motor will stop.  If that does happen, you do not need to prime it again (you only do that when the motor has been off long enough to cool down), just hold the handle and pull the cord until it restarts.

If the machine has a choke, make sure it is open the first time you try to start it.  Once the motor starts running, slowly close it.  If the motor starts to sputter as you close it, stop until the motor runs solid, then start closing it again.  Repeat until it is closed and the motor is running smoothly.

One more thing to add: pull the cord as quickly and forcefully as you can. A slow pull will just make it cough at you in disgust. (Why no, I don't have trouble starting lawnmowers due to my weird arm strength, nooo...)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Iris

« Reply #8286 on: August 30, 2013, 02:40:11 AM »
A stupid question for me; How do you get that awful residue off clothes that is left when a sticker gets wet on the clothes? So many of DDs clothes have stains from going through the wash with stickers on them and I've tried conventional stain removers but nooooo...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

squeakers

« Reply #8287 on: August 30, 2013, 05:44:00 AM »

One more thing to add: pull the cord as quickly and forcefully as you can. A slow pull will just make it cough at you in disgust. (Why no, I don't have trouble starting lawnmowers due to my weird arm strength, nooo...)

Before pulling forcefully.. pull until you feel resistance.  Do that gently a few times and then pull hard.  Each time the cord will get slightly shorter.  Final pull will have more force than trying at the first pull.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8288 on: August 30, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »
A stupid question for me; How do you get that awful residue off clothes that is left when a sticker gets wet on the clothes? So many of DDs clothes have stains from going through the wash with stickers on them and I've tried conventional stain removers but nooooo...

Try some Lestoil.  Works great on grease stains.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8289 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
I got one of Flylady's ostrich feather dusters. It arrived smelling like mothballs (apparently unavoidable - they told me it's an import law), but I hung it outside for two days and the smell dissipated. It's amazing - it takes seconds to dust, and I love flouncing around like the dust fairy with it!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Redsoil

« Reply #8290 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »
Eucalyptus oil, Iris.  Dab a bit on the stain with a cotton wool ball, and rub the worst of the residue off.  Rest in the wash (about a capful) with plain soap flakes.  Or you can simply scrub by hand using sunlight soap or similar, the wash as usual.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8291 on: August 31, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »
Dawn dishwashing detergent does wonders on greasy or oily looking stains.  Not sure about adhesive marks.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8292 on: August 31, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »
Dawn dishwashing detergent does wonders on greasy or oily looking stains.  Not sure about adhesive marks.....

Only the original blue formula. It's what they use to clean wildfowl off with after oil spills. :)

Related - might anyone know if the "eco friendly" Dawn formula (no added scents or super-harsh cleaners, supposed to be the perfect thing for people who can't tolerate regular dish soaps) actually works? My mom's been wanting to try it but she doesn't want to waste her money if it won't work.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8293 on: August 31, 2013, 05:26:45 PM »

Only the original blue formula. It's what they use to clean wildfowl off with after oil spills. :)
And dyers use it when washing freshly dyed fabric, to hold loose dye in suspension in the water so that it won't redeposit itself where you don't want it to.
into books first.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8294 on: August 31, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
Mom uses Ivory - anything else left her hands torn up for years - that said, she still washes dishes for the two of them by hand instead of using the dishwasher......I don't know why.....but it's her house and her two plates, two forks, two spoons, etc. so she can do what she wants to.

Dad does dry them, I understand.

Personally - I'd rather run the dishwasher - but I'm the one with a sinus infection and on antibiotics for the next two weeks.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?