Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1002278 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8295 on: August 31, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »
Hehe, I know the feeling, VorFemme, but there's just some things you really have to soak and then do by hand. Otherwise, Mom uses the dishwasher, and I hand-wash because, well, it's just me and I don't produce many dishes. Plus, I like doing them...it's soothing.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8296 on: August 31, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
Mom uses Ivory - anything else left her hands torn up for years - that said, she still washes dishes for the two of them by hand instead of using the dishwasher......I don't know why.....but it's her house and her two plates, two forks, two spoons, etc. so she can do what she wants to.

Dad does dry them, I understand.

Personally - I'd rather run the dishwasher - but I'm the one with a sinus infection and on antibiotics for the next two weeks.

If your question is, "Why does Mom wash the dishes by hand when she has a dishwasher?",  here's an answer why Luci washes dishes just for the two of us:

We use so few dishes, even including cooking stuff, that I would only have a couple of loads a week, which means that I would need to rinse them so they don't get dried on stuff or stink up the kitchen. Since I have to rinse them, it's just as easy to take a couple of extra seconds to scrub with soap anyway. I dry them, too, but that's my choice.

I use the dishwasher for big dinners (3 loads for 40 people twice a year) and when I have more than 4 dinning. When I am canning, Oh, Doggies, does that machine get a workout!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8297 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Mom uses Ivory - anything else left her hands torn up for years - that said, she still washes dishes for the two of them by hand instead of using the dishwasher......I don't know why.....but it's her house and her two plates, two forks, two spoons, etc. so she can do what she wants to.

Dad does dry them, I understand.

Personally - I'd rather run the dishwasher - but I'm the one with a sinus infection and on antibiotics for the next two weeks.
My MIL did the same.  I suspect a strong streak of OCPD there, since one time when they were visiting, I'd put the dishes in the machine and let it sit because it wasn't full.  MIL fussed and fretted all evening about how those dishes ought to bother me.  And why didn't I wash them before they went in the machine?  How did I know that they would be CLEAN? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8298 on: August 31, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »
I live alone and have a dishwasher.  I put my dishes in and run it once a week or so.  I never rinse them and I've never had an issue of residue remaining on the dishes, with the exception of eggs.

The dishes that don't go through the dishwasher - stuff that's too big or has wooden handles or something - gets washed and left to dry overnight in the draining rack.  I HATE drying dishes.  I hate washing them, too, hence the dishwasher, but not as strongly as drying them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8299 on: August 31, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »
I live alone and have a dishwasher.  I put my dishes in and run it once a week or so.  I never rinse them and I've never had an issue of residue remaining on the dishes, with the exception of eggs.

The dishes that don't go through the dishwasher - stuff that's too big or has wooden handles or something - gets washed and left to dry overnight in the draining rack.  I HATE drying dishes.  I hate washing them, too, hence the dishwasher, but not as strongly as drying them.
If God had intended womankind to dry dishes, She would not have invented evaporation.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8300 on: August 31, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »

I'm with you on that one. We actually can't run a lot of our cookware through the dishwasher (it's not good for it), and we can't always make our plates fit very well (the dishwasher itself kind of stinks in that respect). But even with just two of us generating dishes, we wait until it's full and then run it. It helps that we have 12 place settings of all of our dishes and utensils, though. :)

I only dry dishes when I need something right away or the dish drainer is too full to hold them.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8301 on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »

If God had intended womankind to dry dishes, She would not have invented evaporation.

But, she gave me OCD -- but it is OK and I do not judge.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8302 on: August 31, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »
I have twelve place settings of tableware and more plates than that (found some that matched in a thrift store in 2005 & bought them - too many plates will correct itself over ten years of use).

Glasses - in two sizes, 18 - I actually run the dishwasher twice in three days - daily on weekends.

It might be getting time to replace the plates, cups, and bowls - we bought the first batch in 1998 and they are showing their age....the second batch was bought used....and also shows the wear & tear.  But I haven't found anything that I like BETTER lately - so I'll keep using these a while longer.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8303 on: September 01, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »
Dawn dishwashing detergent does wonders on greasy or oily looking stains.  Not sure about adhesive marks.....

Only the original blue formula. It's what they use to clean wildfowl off with after oil spills. :)

Related - might anyone know if the "eco friendly" Dawn formula (no added scents or super-harsh cleaners, supposed to be the perfect thing for people who can't tolerate regular dish soaps) actually works? My mom's been wanting to try it but she doesn't want to waste her money if it won't work.

A lot of dish soaps give me a rash, but I hand wash dishes wearing rubber gloves. Of course, that isn't an option if you are allergic to the rubber gloves, as well.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8304 on: September 01, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
I'm allergic to the gloves but not, fortunately, to the dish soap.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8305 on: September 01, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Do Americans have terraced houses, like this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Terraced_houses.jpg

?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8306 on: September 01, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »

?

Yes, San Francisco has them.  I'm sure they can be found in other hilly cities as well.

New Orleans has similar houses, but they aren't on a hill (it's flatter than a pancake there).  You can find rows of "shotgun" houses, so named because a bullet can travel from front to back in a straight line!

that_one_girl

« Reply #8307 on: September 01, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »

amen!!!!  I HATE drying dishes with a passion.   
I usually wash the dishes by hand and use the dishwasher as a drying rack.  It drives my inlaws crazy to see the dishwasher left open so the dishes can dry.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8308 on: September 01, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »

?

Yes, San Francisco has them.  I'm sure they can be found in other hilly cities as well.

New Orleans has similar houses, but they aren't on a hill (it's flatter than a pancake there).  You can find rows of "shotgun" houses, so named because a bullet can travel from front to back in a straight line!

Thanks.  The "hill" isn't really the bit I meant, I just meant any row of connected houses.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8309 on: September 01, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »

?

Thanks.  The "hill" isn't really the bit I meant, I just meant any row of connected houses.

They are called "row houses" in a lot of places here.