Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1123883 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8340 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:27 AM »
Possibly silly question:

I noticed on a BBC news broadcast that a senior nurse was titled with "Matron". I was just wondering, if a male nurse achieves the same rank, is he also Matron, or does he get another title?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8341 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »
Carotte, you may be experiencing issues because of the polish itself.  I can't wear nail polish, except once in a blue moon, or I end up with seriously messed up nails.  Once your nails are better, see if you can find the kinds of polish that are less toxic.  They don't have toluene in them.  It takes forever for the polish to dry but it is better on your nails, and your overall health, too.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Anniissa

« Reply #8342 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
Possibly silly question:

I noticed on a BBC news broadcast that a senior nurse was titled with "Matron". I was just wondering, if a male nurse achieves the same rank, is he also Matron, or does he get another title?

Yes, there are far fewer male matrons but they are known by the same title.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #8343 on: September 09, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »
Carotte, you may be experiencing issues because of the polish itself.  I can't wear nail polish, except once in a blue moon, or I end up with seriously messed up nails.  Once your nails are better, see if you can find the kinds of polish that are less toxic.  They don't have toluene in them.  It takes forever for the polish to dry but it is better on your nails, and your overall health, too.

I tried all kinds of nail polishes and hardeners when I was a kid, until I read somewhere that they damage the nail, and nail polish removers are very drying.  I'm already a desert-dry body, so I stopped polishing entirely, and my nails are much stronger and more stable now.
So all I do is buff.  No polish whatsoever, ever. 

Reader

« Reply #8344 on: September 10, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I have a front entance rug, rectangular in shape just as you come in the front door.  One of the corners is currling up, and I've tried switching the rug around to see if was an issue with how we stepped on it as we came in, to even sitting my rock door stop on the corner overnight to weigh the corner down and to flatten it.  To no avail.  Is there something else I can try, or does anyone know why it's curling on only one corner?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8345 on: September 10, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
Try steaming it, even with just a kettle, and then put the door stop on it overnight.  Might help relax the fibres and get it to lay flat.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #8346 on: September 10, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
I didn't want to hijack the Special Snowflake thread, but what is the difference between fiddling and violin-playing?  Is it just the type of music, or is it the technique?  Can you play both on the same instrument?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8347 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:54 PM »
I didn't want to hijack the Special Snowflake thread, but what is the difference between fiddling and violin-playing?  Is it just the type of music, or is it the technique?  Can you play both on the same instrument?

Fiddle is basically folk or country music. I'm assuming that the teacher spoken about in the SS thread only thinks classical music should be played on violin - otherwise the player is stooping to play "lower" music. I assume he's also never tried to play in a fiddling contest either, because I've seen, attempted to play, and seen others play fiddle pieces that were as hard as any difficult classical piece, if not harder.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Xandraea

« Reply #8348 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »

Fiddle is basically folk or country music. I'm assuming that the teacher spoken about in the SS thread only thinks classical music should be played on violin - otherwise the player is stooping to play "lower" music. I assume he's also never tried to play in a fiddling contest either, because I've seen, attempted to play, and seen others play fiddle pieces that were as hard as any difficult classical piece, if not harder.

This guys explains it pretty well and also plays examples of both styles of music.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqTwnAuHws

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8349 on: September 10, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »
A friend of mine is a classical violinist. He refers to his quarter-million-dollar violin as a fiddle.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8350 on: September 10, 2013, 06:05:35 PM »

This guys explains it pretty well and also plays examples of both styles of music.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqTwnAuHws

Xandraea -- thanks for the link, it was pretty cool.

However, it was 5 guys playing the piano, not about fiddles. ;)

squeakers

« Reply #8351 on: September 10, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
I have a front entance rug, rectangular in shape just as you come in the front door.  One of the corners is currling up, and I've tried switching the rug around to see if was an issue with how we stepped on it as we came in, to even sitting my rock door stop on the corner overnight to weigh the corner down and to flatten it.  To no avail.  Is there something else I can try, or does anyone know why it's curling on only one corner?

If it has padding you could try cutting it back a bit on the edge that curls.

Put some ice cubes on the corner.. they will melt and make the fibers fatter.  Which should push the corner back down.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-keep-curled-area-rugs-laying-flat#b has some other tips.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8352 on: September 10, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »

If it has padding you could try cutting it back a bit on the edge that curls.

Put some ice cubes on the corner.. they will melt and make the fibers fatter.  Which should push the corner back down.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-keep-curled-area-rugs-laying-flat#b has some other tips.

I always dampen them, flip them wrong side up and place a few heavy objects/books on it.  You have to leave it alone at least a week though. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8353 on: September 10, 2013, 11:44:44 PM »
Whenever I've heard the instrument discussed, fiddle = violin. Wikipedia says:
A fiddle is any bowed string musical instrument, most often the violin.[1] It is also a colloquial term for the instrument used by players in all genres, including classical music. Fiddle playing, or fiddling, refers to various styles of music.

I don't play the violin (I play the cello), but my brother started taking classical violin lessons when he was in middle school. He had the idea that he wanted to learn how to fiddle when he was in high school, I think, but always seemed to have more trouble with it than with his usual classical playing style. Playing classical music generally involves learning to read music and following a set of well-defined rules. On the other hand, since fiddling is primarily folk music, the rules are less defined and there may or may not be any music to follow. It always seems to me that it requires at least a little bit of improvisation, not to mention complex fingering.

I can say from personal experience playing the piano (for most of my life), I can read music like a champ and have at least a fair amount of technical skill. But I really struggle with music outside of the classical genre, and even have a bit of a hard time with 20th century classical. Composers like Debussy require a more free-flowing style (and often require that your hands work independently of each other), and I'm just not very good at it.

So I find it somewhat ironic that the poster's classical violinist teacher looks down on fiddling, when I've always thought it was probably harder than classical style violin playing. It certainly isn't easier, and often requires a great deal of technical skill.

Xandraea

« Reply #8354 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:48 AM »

Xandraea -- thanks for the link, it was pretty cool.

However, it was 5 guys playing the piano, not about fiddles. ;)

Oh Dear, darn copy/paste!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmUCZKjkuY   << this is the Violin vs. Fiddle one