Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842012 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8445 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »
Our big home improvement stores don't have house name brand, so when there is a paint mixing station it's still one from a paint brand.
That paint brand will most likely also have their product on shelf, along with several other brands.
Quite frankly when I had to chose a new color for my bedroom I only looked at one brands catalogue (I only made sure it was the same price range as the other brands) or you are quickly overwhelmed, and picked up a 5/8 of a gallon off the shelf, same for the primer.
They can probably order it with you want 'pastel lilac' from brandX and they do carry brandX, they just don't have 'pastel lilac' in stock.

Even our fairly small, non-chain hardware store mixes paint to order.  That's just a given here. 

BTW, the strips of paint samples make neat bookmarks.  If you're obsessed you can select a strip of colors that coordinate with the cover of the book you're reading.  Of course, I don't know of anyone who actually does that.   ::)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #8446 on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
Our big home improvement stores don't have house name brand, so when there is a paint mixing station it's still one from a paint brand.
That paint brand will most likely also have their product on shelf, along with several other brands.
Quite frankly when I had to chose a new color for my bedroom I only looked at one brands catalogue (I only made sure it was the same price range as the other brands) or you are quickly overwhelmed, and picked up a 5/8 of a gallon off the shelf, same for the primer.
They can probably order it with you want 'pastel lilac' from brandX and they do carry brandX, they just don't have 'pastel lilac' in stock.

Even our fairly small, non-chain hardware store mixes paint to order.  That's just a given here. 
It's a lot less shelf space devoted to paint when they're mixed to order.  Consider: if you have just 10 pre-mixed colors, times the four common finishes (flat, eggshell, satin, and semi-gloss) times gallons and pints (OK, the metric people can substitutes liters for the pint cans -- do y'all have larger cans, hold about 4 liters?) that's 80 cans of paint that you have to find room for.  And I see that I forgot that you need both interior and exterior paint, so double that. 160 cans of paint. That's if your store only carries one brand of paint.  Usually they have at least two.

Mixed to order: light base, medium base, deep base x 4 finishes x pints/gallon x exterior/interior = 48 cans of paint, not 160.

What's cool is that in the last couple of years, they've started selling little sample jars for about $3, also mixed to order.  You take it home, slap it on the wall, and you can see just how BRIGHT that blue is, which you can't really tell from the little sample chip.  (Why, no our house wasn't a landmark BLUE house, why do you ask?)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Iris

« Reply #8447 on: September 25, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

"I keep reading about having paint colours mixed up specially in shops.  Is that common in America?"

It's so common that most big home stores won't do it any other way except for stuff like spray paint.  All of the house paint and such is white and if you pick another color, they have a machine that drops measured amounts of dye into the white to turn it the right color.

Virg

Most places have an even better feature. We can choose from the available formulas or bring in a color sample - drapes, upholstery, even a picture if there seems to be 1/2 inch square of one color, a paint chip, a stick painted with a color from another company or no longer on the formula list - and it is put under a viewer and the machines figures out the formula. It works quite well. We matched an old green that way, and recently the background of old wallpaper that we wanted to leave up.

Just to add to the picture this is the way that they do it in Australia as well. There are about 3 or 4 shades of base and they mix it from there.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

magicdomino

« Reply #8448 on: September 26, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Plus, it is fun to read the paint color names on the sample cards.  I'm still trying to figure out why the very pale yellow paint I used on the basement ceiling was named "Ruffled Clam"?  "Water Sprout" (medium yellow green)?  Makes sense.  "Vanilla Milkshake" (pale yellow)?  Looks more French vanilla with an extra egg yolk or two, but that's fine.  "Ruffled Clam" confuses me, even if I like it as a ceiling color.

Pen^2

« Reply #8449 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Plus, it is fun to read the paint color names on the sample cards.  I'm still trying to figure out why the very pale yellow paint I used on the basement ceiling was named "Ruffled Clam"?  "Water Sprout" (medium yellow green)?  Makes sense.  "Vanilla Milkshake" (pale yellow)?  Looks more French vanilla with an extra egg yolk or two, but that's fine.  "Ruffled Clam" confuses me, even if I like it as a ceiling color.

Some Ruffled clams are yellowish-cream, so maybe that's why.

And I also love the weird names they choose. I want the job of whoever is responsible for that.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8450 on: September 26, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »

And I also love the weird [color] names they choose. I want the job of whoever is responsible for that.

My prefered toenail polish is "Aphrodite's Pink Nightie."  I pulled it off the rack because I like the color, and I stick with it for the name.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8451 on: September 26, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
OPI has the best names for their nail polish shades!

Some of my favorites:

I'm not really a waitress
Russian Navy
Suzi sells sushi by the seashore

http://www.opi.com/

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8452 on: September 26, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »

And I also love the weird [color] names they choose. I want the job of whoever is responsible for that.

My prefered toenail polish is "Aphrodite's Pink Nightie."  I pulled it off the rack because I like the color, and I stick with it for the name.

HA!  That my favorite OPI color too.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bluenomi

« Reply #8453 on: September 26, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »

The colour of our feature wall in the lounge room may have been chosen because of the word chocolate in it's name...

Elisabunny

« Reply #8454 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »

Some of my favorites:

Russian Navy

I may just have to start wearing nail polish....
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8455 on: September 27, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »

Some of my favorites:

Russian Navy

I may just have to start wearing nail polish....

I really like Gouda Gouda Two Shoes as well.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8456 on: September 27, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
Okay, here's a dumb one. A really dumb one.

My toilet's decided to be cranky on occasion. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes after I flush, it'll randomly start running for a few seconds, stop, run, stop, run, stop, and while it's not running there is a small sound of trickling water in the tank. I can only assume the flapper seal is not right, but that's where it gets odd - manually adjusting the flapper by sticking my hand in the tank doesn't work, I can only flush again and hope it'll seat correctly. (Or, um, become very frustrated and give the tank lid a good hard wallop. That seemed to fix it a couple nights ago, when I couldn't get to sleep thanks to it running!)

Can I fix this without replacing the flapper or O-rings, or is it pretty much toast?
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8457 on: September 27, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

My toilet's decided to be cranky on occasion. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes after I flush, it'll randomly start running for a few seconds, stop, run, stop, run, stop, and while it's not running there is a small sound of trickling water in the tank. I can only assume the flapper seal is not right, but that's where it gets odd - manually adjusting the flapper by sticking my hand in the tank doesn't work, I can only flush again and hope it'll seat correctly. (Or, um, become very frustrated and give the tank lid a good hard wallop. That seemed to fix it a couple nights ago, when I couldn't get to sleep thanks to it running!)

Can I fix this without replacing the flapper or O-rings, or is it pretty much toast?

The flapper thingies are pretty inexpensive. Sometimes, when my toilet has done this, it's been because the chain that lifts the flapper thingy was kinked funny or caught on something. So you might try checking that first.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8458 on: September 27, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »

The flapper thingies are pretty inexpensive. Sometimes, when my toilet has done this, it's been because the chain that lifts the flapper thingy was kinked funny or caught on something. So you might try checking that first.

I did check - the chain seems to be fine.

Oddly enough, it was just running while I was waiting for the toilet bowl cleaner to sit a bit. I scrubbed the bowl, gave the brush handle a couple of good whacks on the rim of the bowl (so it wouldn't drip) and the tank gurgled and it quit running! Apparently concussive maintenance works somehow!

I do know I need to get a new flapper eventually, installing it is just going to be the interesting part...I haven't the slightest idea how and the one person in this household who does rarely has any free time. :-\
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8459 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
It's not too hard. There should be some videos you could look at on YouTube.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah