Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1053362 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8475 on: October 04, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »
Okay, what's "Over the hill"? 40 or 50? I've heard both and am wondering if in 5 years I should be bracing myself for "Over the Hill" comments or if I have 15 more years.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8476 on: October 04, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
How can I get better at accepting compliments?  I always say thank you, but I'm always afraid my tone of voice is wrong, either it sounds like I'm mocking or full of myself.  I'm terrible at accepting compliments and I think that's making me rude.  I don't want to be rude, I just have no idea how to take a compliment the right way  :-\
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8477 on: October 04, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
Okay, what's "Over the hill"? 40 or 50? I've heard both and am wondering if in 5 years I should be bracing myself for "Over the Hill" comments or if I have 15 more years.

We are still wondering, too. Every decade, we seem to lose something, so I would expect to have to make jokes at each milestone birthday. Everyone is differnt, but this is the general rundown:

In the mid 40's, you realize you can't play a full game of basketball. Graying hair, perimenopause. (For counterexample, my hair is brown but thinning.)

About 50s, the joints and energy start failing, as well as the obvious female stuff.

60s, the internal organs begin to fail.

70s - just there and scared. Everything is just a little slower. All repairs and housework take twice or more as long as before. Thinking, too.

We have pretty much accepted it all as it happens, been sad, then get silly about it.

So, my answer to is "both". Laugh and enjoy the attention. Remember the past and look forward to the future, no matter what!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8478 on: October 04, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
I've had both my MIL and bff tell me "Growing old stinks, I don't recommend it", "Don't get old" and "Growing old isn't for sissies."

Frankly, I'm not afraid of aging at all. I keep hoping I'll hit some magic age when random people will stop calling me "Sweetie". I don't mind it from my DH or bff, or people at church who are more than 20 years my senior, but the people at the McDonald's drive thru or the cashier at Walmart, Target, etc.  That wears after a while.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8479 on: October 04, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
I've had both my MIL and bff tell me "Growing old stinks, I don't recommend it", "Don't get old" and "Growing old isn't for sissies."

Frankly, I'm not afraid of aging at all. I keep hoping I'll hit some magic age when random people will stop calling me "Sweetie". I don't mind it from my DH or bff, or people at church who are more than 20 years my senior, but the people at the McDonald's drive thru or the cashier at Walmart, Target, etc.  That wears after a while.

I'm kinda looking forward to my hair going white, because then I can dye it bright pink or blue or whatever and not have to bleach it (and completely destroy the texture) first.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8480 on: October 04, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »

I'm 45 and don't live anywhere near 'The South'.  I still get called sweetie.  Generally by older men and women - in their 60's or older.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8481 on: October 04, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »

Personally? To me, being "Over the hill" is a good thing. I see that as the beginning of a nice, slow-n-easy down-hill path to travel. Finances are taken care of, kids are on their own, being in a place of responsibility with the job (thinking about retirement ;)) etc. I'm looking forward to being over the hill because then I can seriously concentrate on "ME!" time. You know, taking care of my bucket list because I have time.

That being said, for everybody that I know, we had an "Over the hill" party when they turned 40. I think that's just because it's a fun thing.

perpetua

« Reply #8482 on: October 04, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

We are still wondering, too. Every decade, we seem to lose something, so I would expect to have to make jokes at each milestone birthday. Everyone is differnt, but this is the general rundown:

In the mid 40's, you realize you can't play a full game of basketball. Graying hair, perimenopause. (For counterexample, my hair is brown but thinning.)

About 50s, the joints and energy start failing, as well as the obvious female stuff.

60s, the internal organs begin to fail.

70s - just there and scared. Everything is just a little slower. All repairs and housework take twice or more as long as before. Thinking, too.

We have pretty much accepted it all as it happens, been sad, then get silly about it.

So, my answer to is "both". Laugh and enjoy the attention. Remember the past and look forward to the future, no matter what!

On this subject, I defer to the great Jeremy Clarkson, who once said during an episode of Top Gear that the thing about being over 40 is that you wake up one day and a bit of you that worked perfectly well yesterday has inexplicably broken in the night. It's all true, as I'm now discovering.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8483 on: October 04, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
My boss and I joke that the warranty expires at 40.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8484 on: October 04, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »

On this subject, I defer to the great Jeremy Clarkson, who once said during an episode of Top Gear that the thing about being over 40 is that you wake up one day and a bit of you that worked perfectly well yesterday has inexplicably broken in the night. It's all true, as I'm now discovering.

This gave me a chuckle, since that scenario has happened to me most of my life. Am I going to wake up now and find something inexplicably fixed?? :P ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

magicdomino

« Reply #8485 on: October 04, 2013, 08:12:37 PM »
My boss and I joke that the warranty expires at 40.

My friend told me that when I turned 40, and I laughed.  Danged if she wasn't right.  Nothing major, just the eyes needing reading glasses, injuries taking longer to heal.  Little, annoying stuff.

I have considered dying my hair blonde when it goes completely white, just to see if blondes really do have more fun.  Royal blue is a possibility, too.  ;)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8486 on: October 04, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
Somebody! Quick! Tell me how to start a new thread about aging, and what place to put it!

Coruscation

« Reply #8487 on: October 05, 2013, 12:37:36 AM »
I've always figured that the hill was the same as the hump. Wednesday is hump day because its the middle of the week. It's all downhill from there. So 'over the hill' is equivalent of Thurs and Fri. As for how long the top bit is, I guess it's over once you pass the 'peak' of your health and life. So, forty sounds reasonable if you are going for the biblical 'four score and ten'. You can push it back later if you have good health and good genes but alternatively, anything after high school was probably over the hill for Al Bundy.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8488 on: October 05, 2013, 04:58:30 AM »
How can I get better at accepting compliments?  I always say thank you, but I'm always afraid my tone of voice is wrong, either it sounds like I'm mocking or full of myself.  I'm terrible at accepting compliments and I think that's making me rude.  I don't want to be rude, I just have no idea how to take a compliment the right way  :-\

Do you have trouble accepting compliments because you don't believe them, or don't feel you deserve them?  That was/is my problem.

Try smiling first as you say "thank you", and really feel it.  A deep breath and a genuine smile help my voice to sound warm and sincere :)

Redsoil

« Reply #8489 on: October 05, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »

Would it help if, rather than simply saying "thank you" (and possibly feeling weird about it), you were to say something like:

"What a lovely thing to say!  Thank you!"  "How nice of you to mention it.  Thank you!"  (Add in "you've made my day." if you wish.) May be a bit over the top for basic things, but I'm sure you get the concept.  Makes the other person feel good too!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!