Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016021 times)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8505 on: October 06, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
Apparently there's some kind of ancient lizard-brain explanation for that - it's the same part of the brain that makes pregnant women crave particular foods - what your body needs, it tells you tastes *awesome*. I know I've read about it - I did a lot of research while pregnant about why I might be craving certain things (like a decent martini - I abstained, but had one when Wolverine was about 3 months old and it tasted divine) and the widely-accepted theory is that the chemistry of your saliva changes enough that you want to replace the 'missing' taste with something, so you crave it.
ie - not enough salt/electrolytes in your body, so there's not as much of that in your saliva, so you crave it to replace the missing taste in your mouth.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8506 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »
Due to the crazy heat here the last month or so, I've had some dehydration problems despite drinking nearly 100 oz a day.  My doctor said I was not getting enough salt since I typically do not eat prepared foods and I do not add salt to my food.  He encouraged me to drink some zero calorie Powerade or Gatorade everyday until it didn't taste good anymore.  I've been through more jars of pickles this past month than I care to admit.  ;)

Now his set of directions made perfect since to me since the only time I will drink that vile stuff is when I'm really sick or really dehydrated and it taste DEVINE, but when I am not, it taste like watered down nasty stale koolaid.  My husband said that is nuts because the taste of it never changes. 

Well apparently the taste changes for me and my doctor.  Does anyone else have the phenomenon with electrolyte drinks? Or is my DH the one who is right, that the taste does not change?
You are right, I have heard a couple of people complain about that. I remember going to a concert once and the lead singer complained that his Gatorade didn't taste right because he didn't need it yet. A few songs later, after he had worked up a good sweat, it tasted just right!

Nope, you're absolutely right. Maybe your DH has just never been in a position where he really needed it, so he hasn't experienced the change. When I'm doing my Ren Faire -- Texas April and May, so serious risk of heat issues when you're in leather and velvet -- we all are told to drink Gatorade until it doesn't taste good.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8507 on: October 06, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
Due to the crazy heat here the last month or so, I've had some dehydration problems despite drinking nearly 100 oz a day.  My doctor said I was not getting enough salt since I typically do not eat prepared foods and I do not add salt to my food.  He encouraged me to drink some zero calorie Powerade or Gatorade everyday until it didn't taste good anymore.  I've been through more jars of pickles this past month than I care to admit.  ;)

Now his set of directions made perfect since to me since the only time I will drink that vile stuff is when I'm really sick or really dehydrated and it taste DEVINE, but when I am not, it taste like watered down nasty stale koolaid.  My husband said that is nuts because the taste of it never changes. 

Well apparently the taste changes for me and my doctor.  Does anyone else have the phenomenon with electrolyte drinks? Or is my DH the one who is right, that the taste does not change?
You are right, I have heard a couple of people complain about that. I remember going to a concert once and the lead singer complained that his Gatorade didn't taste right because he didn't need it yet. A few songs later, after he had worked up a good sweat, it tasted just right!

Nope, you're absolutely right. Maybe your DH has just never been in a position where he really needed it, so he hasn't experienced the change. When I'm doing my Ren Faire -- Texas April and May, so serious risk of heat issues when you're in leather and velvet -- we all are told to drink Gatorade until it doesn't taste good.

Nope, he sweats buckets when he works out and he grew up doing very physically intense activities where Gatorade was regularly given to help with fluid loss.  I rarely sweat even during intense workouts, which is why I was baffled about being dehydrated.  Usually I only get dehydrated when I'm really sick with the flu or a stomach bug. 

He says it never taste very good or bad to him...just okay tasting.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Redsoil

« Reply #8508 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
Carotte, could you say something like "I love that you see me that way"?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8509 on: October 06, 2013, 11:48:37 AM »

Perfectly sensible directions to me. Gatorade at any old random time? Ugh. Gatorade after the stomach flu or a long bike ride? Amazing.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8510 on: October 06, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

When I was in college and the military - I noticed that the stuff tasted GOOD just after running or exercising (West Texas college and Arizona military base - warm to hot semi-arid to desert regions - so I was at least slightly dehydrated from heat and exercise). 

If your husband isn't noticing that it tastes "good" - then he doesn't need the fluid & electrolytes enough to bother drinking it.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

that_one_girl

« Reply #8511 on: October 06, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »

Nope, he sweats buckets when he works out and he grew up doing very physically intense activities where Gatorade was regularly given to help with fluid loss.  I rarely sweat even during intense workouts, which is why I was baffled about being dehydrated.  Usually I only get dehydrated when I'm really sick with the flu or a stomach bug. 

he must be eating the right amounts of foods that keep his electrolytes in check or just not getting dehydrated.

I don't like pickles normally, but I will eat a bunch of them if I feel like my electrolytes are out of balance.   Same with Gatorade or plain coconut water.   

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8512 on: October 06, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »

See, I've never had that happen... At least not that obviously. Orange Gatorade always tastes pretty good to be, and blue Gatorade always tastes vile. But thg orange does taste extra good when I do need it, though.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8513 on: October 06, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
I don't like pickles normally, but I will eat a bunch of them if I feel like my electrolytes are out of balance.   Same with Gatorade or plain coconut water.   

Chilled coconut water is always amazing. Now I am craving some but I do not want to open a coconut.

Sebastienne

« Reply #8514 on: October 06, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
People absolutely crave/enjoy foods they "need" when they need them, even if they're otherwise disgusting. Years ago (before such studies would be frowned upon), researchers let infants in the hospital choose their own foods, to see if, when left to their own devices, they'd eat a balanced diet. While there was probably a lot more cookie-eating than necessary, kids who had serious deficiencies invariably made up for them. All the children with iron deficiencies, for example, chose to consume cod liver oil, which is disgusting--but it was necessary at the time.

For the dehydrated, then, Gatorate is pretty much like cod liver oil. Delicious when your body needs it; nasty when it doesn't.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8515 on: October 06, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

Chilled coconut water is always amazing. Now I am craving some but I do not want to open a coconut.

I recently discovered coconut water. It's wonderful after a run!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8516 on: October 06, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »

But before a run; blergh!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8517 on: October 06, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »
Oh, I'm so glad it's not just me who can't normally stand Gatorade!

The only times I can remember it tasting good were when I had horrible urinary tract infections. For some reason, UTIs make me not want to drink anything and I get seriously dehydrated. Last time I had one I ended up in ER (thought it might be an ovarian cyst or appendicitis) and they gave me a small bottle of sports drink. Best thing I'd ever tasted, I swear.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

dawnfire

« Reply #8518 on: October 06, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
People absolutely crave/enjoy foods they "need" when they need them, even if they're otherwise disgusting. Years ago (before such studies would be frowned upon), researchers let infants in the hospital choose their own foods, to see if, when left to their own devices, they'd eat a balanced diet. While there was probably a lot more cookie-eating than necessary, kids who had serious deficiencies invariably made up for them. All the children with iron deficiencies, for example, chose to consume cod liver oil, which is disgusting--but it was necessary at the time.

For the dehydrated, then, Gatorate is pretty much like cod liver oil. Delicious when your body needs it; nasty when it doesn't.

I'd believe it. When hubby was undergoing chemo for cancer in his top to vertibrae, he had  cravings for squid. I think it helped protect his thyroid during his treatment.

that_one_girl

« Reply #8519 on: October 06, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »

But before a run; blergh!

My SIL is very healthy (runs marathons, enjoys exercising, etc)
I am not the healthiest and get dehydrated very easily.
One day she saw me drinking a coconut water and asked for a sip ... she acted like I'd handed her motor oil!