Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1086683 times)

squeakers

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8550 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »
A stupid question generated from another thread:

Why DO farmers need to get up pre-dawn to milk cows or whatever?  If you milk a cow twice a day, why can't you do it at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.? 

I understand that a lot of work needs to be done and you don't want to waste daylight but it has never made sense to me that cows "need" to be milked at 4:30 a.m.  Sleep cow, sleep.
I personaly think that a lot of it has to do with habit and not wanting to work after 6 pm.

Anyway, on a modern big dairy farm nobody has to get up to milk the cows anymore, it is fully automated. The cows just regularly walk into the milking machine, and the rest goes automaticaly, the farmer just has to have a beeper with him that warns him when something goes wrong with the machine.

Maybe in the Netherlands but here in Iowa it's still pretty much farmers hooking up the machines. http://wcfcourier.com/business/local/mechanical-milkers-robots-improve-efficiency-for-ne-iowa-dairies/article_57e71614-e8b1-11e1-9cbe-001a4bcf887a.html "ISU experts estimate about 30 dairy farms statewide about 15 in Northeast Iowa out of 1,600 use robots."
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Cherry91

« Reply #8551 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:59 AM »
Can anyone link me to a "cheat sheet" of EHell's abbreviations and acronyms? I've looked a couple of times and can't find anything.

If not, can someone tell me what POD stands for? I can work out most, but this one stumps me!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #8552 on: October 10, 2013, 07:24:56 AM »
Can anyone link me to a "cheat sheet" of EHell's abbreviations and acronyms? I've looked a couple of times and can't find anything.

If not, can someone tell me what POD stands for? I can work out most, but this one stumps me!

It doesn't stand for anything.  :)  It's basically saying that you're with them, like two peas in a pod.

(I'm not crazy about it, personally... but it's here to stay.)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8553 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »

Here you go! :)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Betelnut

« Reply #8554 on: October 10, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »

It doesn't stand for anything.  :)  It's basically saying that you're with them, like two peas in a pod.

(I'm not crazy about it, personally... but it's here to stay.)

Yes, so POD is wrong.  It is technically, pod.  (Or, Pod, if used at the beginning of a sentence.   :)
Native Texan, Marylander currently

cwm

« Reply #8555 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »
How do you stop brown sugar going all hard?

I always wrap it in cling wrap or put it in a Ziploc bag with all the air out. Then I keep it in the fridge. I've never had a problem with it going hard when I do it like that.

I do know the bread thing works for cookies, too, to keep them from getting hard. It's delightful to know.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #8556 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
How do you stop brown sugar going all hard?

POD the bread. You can also put in a slice of apple (which will then go brown and mushy, I don't recommend it) or buy a terracotta disk specially made for this sort of thing. Bread's easiest, though.

Good to know! Also, if the brown sugar is already hard you can put a bowl of it in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top for 30 seconds or so (time depends on the amount). It softens right back up.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8557 on: October 10, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »

Why DO farmers need to get up pre-dawn to milk cows or whatever?  If you milk a cow twice a day, why can't you do it at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.? 

I understand that a lot of work needs to be done and you don't want to waste daylight but it has never made sense to me that cows "need" to be milked at 4:30 a.m.  Sleep cow, sleep.
I personaly think that a lot of it has to do with habit and not wanting to work after 6 pm.

Anyway, on a modern big dairy farm nobody has to get up to milk the cows anymore, it is fully automated. The cows just regularly walk into the milking machine, and the rest goes automaticaly, the farmer just has to have a beeper with him that warns him when something goes wrong with the machine.

I always thought that farmers had to do milking very early in the morning because of the milk train. 
This would come by early in the day and transport fresh milk to cities and towns.  Unlike a planted crop, the milk train was a consistent source of income for the farm. 

Was I wrong in this? 

oogyda

« Reply #8558 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »

I always thought that farmers had to do milking very early in the morning because of the milk train. 
This would come by early in the day and transport fresh milk to cities and towns.  Unlike a planted crop, the milk train was a consistent source of income for the farm. 

Was I wrong in this?

No, you're not wrong.  But that is a little outdated.  Nowadays, it's due to other scheduling.  Someone upthread mentioned the schedule of the trucks that pick up the raw milk at the farms. 

In my grandparents' and other family members' cases, they would deliver the milk to a local creamery.  For some reason, it had to be there by a certain time.  I believe it corresponded to when the creamery started a day's production. 

It's all the same concept.  The milking of the cows is the first step in the process of getting the product to the consumers.  When one part of the process is off schedule, it messes with the whole system.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Snooks

« Reply #8559 on: October 10, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »

Was I wrong in this?

Somehow in skimming this I read it as "do milking very early in the morning because of the milk racism".  I though there was a whole period of history I missed.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8560 on: October 10, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
Well, you know, there was a time when the regular milk and the chocolate milk couldn't ride in the same railcar....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sebastienne

« Reply #8561 on: October 10, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
Until that one time a bottle of chocolate milk ended up in the 2% milk railcar and refused to move...

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8562 on: October 10, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Betelnut wrote:

"Yes, so POD is wrong.  It is technically, pod.  (Or, Pod, if used at the beginning of a sentence."

POD.

Virg

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #8563 on: October 10, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
I pretend POD stands for 'Post of the Day.' It doesn't really, but that's what I thought at first so I keep thinking it.  ;D

Also, the idea of cold hands on a cow's udder kind of made me jump a little. Sounds uncomfortable for the cow!!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8564 on: October 10, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »
I pretend POD stands for 'Post of the Day.' It doesn't really, but that's what I thought at first so I keep thinking it.  ;D

Also, the idea of cold hands on a cow's udder kind of made me jump a little. Sounds uncomfortable for the cow!!
Dad says it is.  That hand-milked cows won't let down their milk if the milker's hands are too cold.  ("Let down" refers to a conditioned reflex that causes milk to flow freely; if a dairy animal doesn't let down, you can't milk her.  In humans, that let-down reflex feels like a tingling or an ache, and can persist for years after one's last child is weaned.   There's no milk there to actually let down, but the reflex still remains!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~