Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 844810 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8565 on: October 10, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
Well, you know, there was a time when the regular milk and the chocolate milk couldn't ride in the same railcar....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sebastienne

« Reply #8566 on: October 10, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
Until that one time a bottle of chocolate milk ended up in the 2% milk railcar and refused to move...

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8567 on: October 10, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Betelnut wrote:

"Yes, so POD is wrong.  It is technically, pod.  (Or, Pod, if used at the beginning of a sentence."

POD.

Virg

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #8568 on: October 10, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
I pretend POD stands for 'Post of the Day.' It doesn't really, but that's what I thought at first so I keep thinking it.  ;D

Also, the idea of cold hands on a cow's udder kind of made me jump a little. Sounds uncomfortable for the cow!!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #8569 on: October 10, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »
I pretend POD stands for 'Post of the Day.' It doesn't really, but that's what I thought at first so I keep thinking it.  ;D

Also, the idea of cold hands on a cow's udder kind of made me jump a little. Sounds uncomfortable for the cow!!
Dad says it is.  That hand-milked cows won't let down their milk if the milker's hands are too cold.  ("Let down" refers to a conditioned reflex that causes milk to flow freely; if a dairy animal doesn't let down, you can't milk her.  In humans, that let-down reflex feels like a tingling or an ache, and can persist for years after one's last child is weaned.   There's no milk there to actually let down, but the reflex still remains!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Snooks

« Reply #8570 on: October 10, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
Well, you know, there was a time when the regular milk and the chocolate milk couldn't ride in the same railcar....

Until that one time a bottle of chocolate milk ended up in the 2% milk railcar and refused to move...

I figured they were probably in cahoots with the racist bagels.

Cherry91

« Reply #8571 on: October 11, 2013, 05:47:23 AM »
Can anyone link me to a "cheat sheet" of EHell's abbreviations and acronyms? I've looked a couple of times and can't find anything.

If not, can someone tell me what POD stands for? I can work out most, but this one stumps me!

Here you go! :)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0

Thank you!  :)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8572 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
Betelnut wrote:

"Yes, so POD is wrong.  It is technically, pod.  (Or, Pod, if used at the beginning of a sentence."

POD.

Virg

If I use POD instead of pod, it's for emphasis.  Just like my "lol" and "LOL" mean different things. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8573 on: October 11, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
How do you stop brown sugar going all hard?

Make a lot of cookies :)

I actually use the heels from my bread, since no one will eat those anyway.

Another way to deal with rock-hard brown sugar is to use a box grater. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8574 on: October 11, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
Any rock hard sugar in my house goes in the saucepan and becomes caramel.  8)

Vall

« Reply #8575 on: October 12, 2013, 02:53:51 AM »
Another stupid question:

How do people with poor eyesight choose frames for their glasses?  They need their glasses on to see clearly but they can't keep their glasses on to try on frames.  What happens if they choose a frame and then after their prescription is filled and they can clearly see what the frames look like on their face, they don't like the look?

The reason that I'm asking is because my eyesight is getting worse.  Right now, I can still step back from the mirror and see what I look like.  What happens when I can't do that any more and everything looks fuzzy (far and near) without my glasses on?

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8576 on: October 12, 2013, 03:14:24 AM »
Another stupid question:

How do people with poor eyesight choose frames for their glasses?  They need their glasses on to see clearly but they can't keep their glasses on to try on frames.  What happens if they choose a frame and then after their prescription is filled and they can clearly see what the frames look like on their face, they don't like the look?

The reason that I'm asking is because my eyesight is getting worse.  Right now, I can still step back from the mirror and see what I look like.  What happens when I can't do that any more and everything looks fuzzy (far and near) without my glasses on?

I've had glasses for shortsightedness since I was about 10 years old.  I usually have to almost stand in the mirror to see what I look like - far from a perfect arrangement. Drives me nuts.

The optometrist I usually go to now has an assistant who's been great at helping me to select frames - he has a real eye for it. :) 

It's been a while since I've needed new frames but next time I plan to snap a few selfies of me in the frames I like best, put my specs back on and work it out from there. Most people have phones or tablets with cameras now so it seems like a reasonable way to do it.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd also be curious.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8577 on: October 12, 2013, 03:48:48 AM »
At Specsavers, they take a picture of you wearing different frames and then display the picture on a small screen for you to look at when you have your own glasses on.  You can compare up to four different pairs of frames that way.  It's brilliant, as my eyesight is so bad I wouldn't be able to do it any other way.

Perhaps you could take along a digital camera (or phone with a camera on it) when you choose frames, and get the assistant to take pics or do mirror selfies in the shop?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8578 on: October 12, 2013, 03:54:36 AM »
I have to actually get my nose right up to the mirror - like leaving nose prints - to see myself without my glasses on. I don't think it's going to work for much longer. :-\

I never thought about the selfie option, I may have to try it.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Monkey Maker

« Reply #8579 on: October 12, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »
I take my husband and get his opinion.  If I didn't have him, I'd do selfies.