Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058778 times)

Snooks

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8565 on: October 10, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
Well, you know, there was a time when the regular milk and the chocolate milk couldn't ride in the same railcar....

Until that one time a bottle of chocolate milk ended up in the 2% milk railcar and refused to move...

I figured they were probably in cahoots with the racist bagels.

Cherry91

« Reply #8566 on: October 11, 2013, 05:47:23 AM »
Can anyone link me to a "cheat sheet" of EHell's abbreviations and acronyms? I've looked a couple of times and can't find anything.

If not, can someone tell me what POD stands for? I can work out most, but this one stumps me!

Here you go! :)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0

Thank you!  :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8567 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
Betelnut wrote:

"Yes, so POD is wrong.  It is technically, pod.  (Or, Pod, if used at the beginning of a sentence."

POD.

Virg

If I use POD instead of pod, it's for emphasis.  Just like my "lol" and "LOL" mean different things. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8568 on: October 11, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
How do you stop brown sugar going all hard?

Make a lot of cookies :)

I actually use the heels from my bread, since no one will eat those anyway.

Another way to deal with rock-hard brown sugar is to use a box grater. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8569 on: October 11, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
Any rock hard sugar in my house goes in the saucepan and becomes caramel.  8)

Vall

« Reply #8570 on: October 12, 2013, 02:53:51 AM »
Another stupid question:

How do people with poor eyesight choose frames for their glasses?  They need their glasses on to see clearly but they can't keep their glasses on to try on frames.  What happens if they choose a frame and then after their prescription is filled and they can clearly see what the frames look like on their face, they don't like the look?

The reason that I'm asking is because my eyesight is getting worse.  Right now, I can still step back from the mirror and see what I look like.  What happens when I can't do that any more and everything looks fuzzy (far and near) without my glasses on?

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8571 on: October 12, 2013, 03:14:24 AM »
Another stupid question:

How do people with poor eyesight choose frames for their glasses?  They need their glasses on to see clearly but they can't keep their glasses on to try on frames.  What happens if they choose a frame and then after their prescription is filled and they can clearly see what the frames look like on their face, they don't like the look?

The reason that I'm asking is because my eyesight is getting worse.  Right now, I can still step back from the mirror and see what I look like.  What happens when I can't do that any more and everything looks fuzzy (far and near) without my glasses on?

I've had glasses for shortsightedness since I was about 10 years old.  I usually have to almost stand in the mirror to see what I look like - far from a perfect arrangement. Drives me nuts.

The optometrist I usually go to now has an assistant who's been great at helping me to select frames - he has a real eye for it. :) 

It's been a while since I've needed new frames but next time I plan to snap a few selfies of me in the frames I like best, put my specs back on and work it out from there. Most people have phones or tablets with cameras now so it seems like a reasonable way to do it.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd also be curious.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8572 on: October 12, 2013, 03:48:48 AM »
At Specsavers, they take a picture of you wearing different frames and then display the picture on a small screen for you to look at when you have your own glasses on.  You can compare up to four different pairs of frames that way.  It's brilliant, as my eyesight is so bad I wouldn't be able to do it any other way.

Perhaps you could take along a digital camera (or phone with a camera on it) when you choose frames, and get the assistant to take pics or do mirror selfies in the shop?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8573 on: October 12, 2013, 03:54:36 AM »
I have to actually get my nose right up to the mirror - like leaving nose prints - to see myself without my glasses on. I don't think it's going to work for much longer. :-\

I never thought about the selfie option, I may have to try it.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Monkey Maker

« Reply #8574 on: October 12, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »
I take my husband and get his opinion.  If I didn't have him, I'd do selfies.

squeakers

« Reply #8575 on: October 12, 2013, 04:35:48 AM »
Another stupid question:

Every time I have chosen new frames I was wearing my old glasses.  All I can say is I hate The Harry Potter Phenomenon.  As a fluffy person having itty frames has not helped my self-steam*.

Back in the days of big frames... I had to deal with heavy glass lenses (and side of the nose indents).  So it has been a trade-off.  Smaller lenses and less side vision.

I have not had a decent pair of glasses since I was 12.  That optician actually measure not just the distance between my eyes but took into account the fact my ears were not level.

I lost those glasses 6 months later in an open vehicle ride.  I searched the ditch but to no avail.  Went 4 years without glasses after that... $@#$@# parents.

Now, with insurance, I am just glad to be able to see and really don't care how they look unless it is an up close photo ... for which I take my glasses off and smile in the vague direction of the camera.

* I am not pleased being fluffy... less so in photos where itty frames make my face look even larger.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Iris

« Reply #8576 on: October 12, 2013, 05:17:09 AM »
Another stupid question:

Well personally I put my contact lenses in to go glasses shopping, but I can see how that might not work for everyone...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

that_one_girl

« Reply #8577 on: October 12, 2013, 06:53:14 AM »
I have worn glasses all my life, so I pretty much know what I want before choosing frames.  I never considered that it would make a difference how the glasses would look from far away, so I just choose something that looks good from up close.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8578 on: October 12, 2013, 07:40:43 AM »
Another stupid question:

Well personally I put my contact lenses in to go glasses shopping, but I can see how that might not work for everyone...

Same here.  I am nearsighted though, so in a pinch I can just get really close to the mirror.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8579 on: October 12, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
I'm now near-sighted *and* farsighted--there's a range of about 10 inches where I can see without glasses. I take along a trusted friend who has great style sense and will tell me exactly how the glasses make me look.

For years, optical shops have offered the near-sighted large magnifying mirrors. Great--now I can see an enlarged, totally blurry vision of myself. Those mirrors didn't help at all.

Unless you have contacts, taking a picture or bringing along someone for a second opinion is the best way to go. I'm still waiting for some enterprising soul to invent corrective lens that will somehow fit on the sample frames, so you can get a better look at yourself in them.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn