News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 08:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2423320 times)

Ereine

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8685 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
I was vaccinated for TB (apparently the day after I was born, according to a card that has all my vaccinations) and I think that I was among the youngest age group in Finland that got it, I was born in 1980. I have a scar for a vaccination on my thigh, I don't know if it was from that or something else.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #8686 on: November 20, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »
The only people I know that have the smallpox vaccination scar were in the military and went overseas. DH has one.

I have a scar from the polio vaccine on my upper arm.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Luci

« Reply #8687 on: November 20, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »
Child born in 1969 had small pox vaccination, but child born in 1971 didn't.

I was so afraid of TB when I was a child, I think I would have welcomed the vaccination for that. The polio shots came to my school when I was in 4th grade, but I never heard of a scar from that. Our children both had the oral vaccine, as well as measles shots when entering college. Of course, they had the full course of DPT innoculations.

Hillia

« Reply #8688 on: November 20, 2013, 12:18:03 PM »
I have a smallpox vaccination scar on my back - my doctor gave them there so they'd be less obvious.  I think our polio vaccine was the oral version, but I can't swear to it.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8689 on: November 20, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
Curiously, neither my older sister or I got small pox vaccination and my mother always made sure we got all the shots, at the proper time. My 5 years younger BF got it. We were all in the same city, too.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #8690 on: November 20, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
I was vaccinated for both TB and smallpox, but have no vaccine scar from either. I was born in 1963, and raised in New York City; my impression is that everyone my age got the smallpox vaccine, but the TB one was less common. (The last I checked WHO recommends it only for children in specific parts of the Third World.) My mother said I need to know I had the vaccine, in case a doctor is ever trying to diagnose a lung infection, because it means the skin test for TB will come up positive whether or not I have TB.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #8691 on: November 20, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
Does anyone happen to know why the word "weekend" used to be considered vulgar?  I've read several books set in England after WWI, and at least two of them mention that so-and-so is a real dragon about proper words and "weekend" shouldn't be used around them.  How else do you refer to Saturday and Sunday?

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8692 on: November 20, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
Does anyone happen to know why the word "weekend" used to be considered vulgar?  I've read several books set in England after WWI, and at least two of them mention that so-and-so is a real dragon about proper words and "weekend" shouldn't be used around them.  How else do you refer to Saturday and Sunday?

Wild guess: it probably has to do with attitudes towards work. The upper class did not work except in very few professions (where they were not expected to keep office hours). Therefore, the weekend as we know it (two days of not working) was not really relevant, except Sunday as a religious day. The working class would look forward to the days of rest. Caring about the weekend, specifically, was working class and vulgar.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8693 on: November 20, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
I have a scar like that on my arm from the TB vaccine (BCG), given when I was about 13 (I'm in the UK). That was in the late 90's though, so I don't know whether they still give them out. They gave you a 'heaf test' on your wrist (lots of little needles) to see if you showed seroconversion (i.e. evidence of either prior vaccination or exposure to TB), and if you didn't have any reaction, you got vaccinated.

I have a feeling they don't give them any more - the BCG isn't a particularly good vaccine, and TB is hard to diagnose (and treat).
Smallpox vaccines were stopped some time in the late 70s early 80s I believe. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

The BCG isn't given out any more in the UK.  My scar from it is a tiny white spot.  I can find it after a bit of looking but I doubt anyone else could.

I have a scar from the polio vaccine on my upper arm.

You got an injected polio vaccine?  Lucky you - mine was by mouth and it was foul!

magicdomino

« Reply #8694 on: November 20, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
You got an injected polio vaccine?  Lucky you - mine was by mouth and it was foul!

Mine was on a sugar cube.  Probably the only childhood vaccination where I didn't scream the place down.   :D

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #8695 on: November 20, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

Mine was on a sugar cube.  Probably the only childhood vaccination where I didn't scream the place down.   :D

The first bite of the sugar cube was okay... the second one was where I hit the vaccine and eeeewwwwwww!

perpetua

« Reply #8696 on: November 20, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »
I have a scar like that on my arm from the TB vaccine (BCG), given when I was about 13 (I'm in the UK). That was in the late 90's though, so I don't know whether they still give them out. They gave you a 'heaf test' on your wrist (lots of little needles) to see if you showed seroconversion (i.e. evidence of either prior vaccination or exposure to TB), and if you didn't have any reaction, you got vaccinated.

I have a feeling they don't give them any more - the BCG isn't a particularly good vaccine, and TB is hard to diagnose (and treat).
Smallpox vaccines were stopped some time in the late 70s early 80s I believe. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

The BCG isn't given out any more in the UK.  My scar from it is a tiny white spot.  I can find it after a bit of looking but I doubt anyone else could.

Oh, the terror of the BCG vaccination. I remember it well. Of course those who'd had it before filled us with all kinds of horror stories about how awful it was going to be and how people ended up with giant holes in their arms. Everyone was so scared of having it done that they deliberately didn't tell us when they came round to do it - we were suddenly all called to the nurse's office and there it was. A week followed of everyone clutching their arms and shouting "BCG, BCG!!"

Mine's quite visible, and I remember getting a sort-of hole, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #8697 on: November 20, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »

Oh, the terror of the BCG vaccination. I remember it well. Of course those who'd had it before filled us with all kinds of horror stories about how awful it was going to be and how people ended up with giant holes in their arms. Everyone was so scared of having it done that they deliberately didn't tell us when they came round to do it - we were suddenly all called to the nurse's office and there it was. A week followed of everyone clutching their arms and shouting "BCG, BCG!!"

Mine's quite visible, and I remember getting a sort-of hole, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The jab didn't bother me at all, but the patch test was quite sore (I have very sensitive skin).  Of course, the nurse told me not to be so silly when I said "ouch"  ::)

camlan

« Reply #8698 on: November 20, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
US here. I was born in 1960. I have a scar on my upper arm from the smallpox vaccine, and I remember getting the polio vaccine on a sugar cube. No TB vaccine, but I have had the TB test quite a lot, as I used to volunteer in a soup kitchen and TB can be rampant among the homeless.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #8699 on: November 20, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »
We got the polio vaccine in an device that put it through the skin. 1970's in Texas public schools. We have ring scars from it.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien