Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1036344 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8700 on: November 19, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
Errr . . . what's the best way to get crayon off a TV screen?  Hypothetically, of course?  A damp paper towel seems to have done pretty well, and luckily it was yellow crayon so it's not too noticeable, but it's still pretty obvious when the TV is off.  I'm hesitant to use a magic eraser or other chemicals for fear I'll damage the screen.

menley

« Reply #8701 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:28 PM »
Definitely don't try a magic eraser, it will damage the screen for sure.

Have you tried a little baby oil on a cotton ball?

Carotte

« Reply #8702 on: November 19, 2013, 06:02:54 PM »
Have you tried cleaning it with the TV on? So that it might warm up a bit and be easier to wipe off (and if your tv doesn't heat up [do tv heat up? I haven't been near one in ages] maybe a quick blast of hair dryer).
It might start leaving a bit of oily residue but softly and slowly wipping with a paper towel or cloth will help.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8703 on: November 20, 2013, 05:34:14 AM »
I have a question about TB vaccination scars.

Where I live (third world country), everyone has a TB vaccination when they are about 7ish or so, and it tends to develop into a huge absess that scars very distinctly and visibly.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/476203/350wm/C0141852-BCG_vaccination_scar-SPL.jpg

Every person I know who has grown up here (and in nearby countries) has a large circular scar on their upper arm from it. I was wondering, do first world countries have the same vaccinations and associated scars on their arms? I've never seen them on the arms of actors or actresses from the US, so I'm guessing it's not done there?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8704 on: November 20, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
About the tb vaccinations, we were given them in high school, around age 14 or 15 I think.

That was in Darwin in Australia's Northern Territory in the 1980s. No idea if they did it anywhere else in Oz or even if they still do.

Bluenomi

« Reply #8705 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »
In Australia TB isn't on the standard vaccination schedule, you only get it if you need it to travel to certain countries where there is a TB risk. I suspect places like the US and UK do the same thing.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8706 on: November 20, 2013, 06:16:15 AM »

Where I live (third world country), everyone has a TB vaccination when they are about 7ish or so, and it tends to develop into a huge absess that scars very distinctly and visibly.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/476203/350wm/C0141852-BCG_vaccination_scar-SPL.jpg

Every person I know who has grown up here (and in nearby countries) has a large circular scar on their upper arm from it. I was wondering, do first world countries have the same vaccinations and associated scars on their arms? I've never seen them on the arms of actors or actresses from the US, so I'm guessing it's not done there?

I always thought that scar was from  the small pox vaccination.  Hmmm, learned something new.

I do not have it, but I am not allowed vaccinations due to my crazy, severe reactions to them...not even a flu shot.  I don't know many people my age, mid 30s, that do have it, but most of the older generation I know does.

If an actor or actress does have a scar, I can only assume it gets covered up or taken out during editing.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #8707 on: November 20, 2013, 06:16:35 AM »
I don't think TB vaccinations have been given in the U.S. since the early 1970's.  or is that smallpox vaccine?  I can't remember.  In any case, I know that arm scar, and know that the causative vaccine has not been given in maybe 40 years.
Not such a newbie anymore

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8708 on: November 20, 2013, 06:32:03 AM »

I always thought that scar was from  the small pox vaccination.  Hmmm, learned something new.

I do not have it, but I am not allowed vaccinations due to my crazy, severe reactions to them...not even a flu shot.  I don't know many people my age, mid 30s, that do have it, but most of the older generation I know does.

If an actor or actress does have a scar, I can only assume it gets covered up or taken out during editing.

I've been doing some research on vaccincation scars (translation: googling).  ;D

It seems the scars in the US are for small pox (and they stopped being given a couple of decades ago, so they're rarer and seen more on adults), but the scars where I live are from TB vaccinations and are still ongoing vaccinations, so everyone has them.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8709 on: November 20, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »
I don't think TB vaccinations have been given in the U.S. since the early 1970's.  or is that smallpox vaccine?  I can't remember.  In any case, I know that arm scar, and know that the causative vaccine has not been given in maybe 40 years.

Smallpox vaccine. Smallpox has been eradicated in the wild; the last case was in 1977.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #8710 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »
^^ thanks!  That's what I get, trying to be smart before 7AM!
Not such a newbie anymore

Margo

« Reply #8711 on: November 20, 2013, 06:46:15 AM »
Teaching reading - you have to teach it all phonics, sight words, guided reading. No one method is going to work with all kids. But you get administrators that get wedded to a particular method or state legislatures that are required to send billions out of the country to the be all end all company (Pearson) and the kids and teachers are the victims.

My Mom used to tell a story about how Sis got to JH and the teachers asked "What happened the kids can spell" - Mom's reply they stopped teaching only phonics. Drove my Mom crazy I would spell words completely phonetically. Words that I could read fine, I would spell wrong.

So true. I read by word shapes. Fortunately I could read before I got to school, so wasn't derailed by the fact that phonics was The One True Way to teach. When my brother stated school, he hadn't  yet learned to read. And he didn't, for ages, because the way that the school *had* to teach it (Phonics again) did not work for him. Fortunately, the teacher was willing to conspire with my mum (who was at that time working as a volunteer at the school) to teach him, and one or two others with similar problems:

"Well, we are required to use this method, so I cannot allow anything else. But I'm very busy, and so I won't be checking up on you. And I think you'll find it easiest of you work with these kids in the library corner. Where there are some drawers with the old reading aids from the old system we don't use any more because it is not the One True Way. Do make sure you don't accidentally use the old materials we are storing in the in the second drawer down until we get round to throwing them away. Be particularly careful not to accidentally  the ones on the right hand side. ..."

Little brother and the other non readers all learned to read. And Ofsted was none the wiser.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8712 on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:24 AM »
Carrotte wrote:

"Have you tried cleaning it with the TV on? So that it might warm up a bit and be easier to wipe off (and if your tv doesn't heat up [do tv heat up? I haven't been near one in ages] maybe a quick blast of hair dryer)."

If it's a flat panel TV, it won't generate an appreciable amount of heat when it's on, and it's a bad idea to try heating it with a hair dryer because spot heat like that can damage it.  One way to clean it is to use monitor wipes, but be aware that it'll take a gentle hand, a lot of time and a fair number of wipes to get crayon residue off the screen.  Isopropyl alcohol in water will also work, as long as you use a microfiber cloth or the like.  Don't bear down on the surface and don't "scrub" it hard, and eventually it'll come clean.  Be sure to power down the TV and unplug it before trying this, and above all, Be. Patient.

Virg

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8713 on: November 20, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
As others have said, TB vaccinations aren't common in the US, but TB skin tests are. I had them regularly when I was growing up, even though I was never (to my knowledge) exposed to anyone who had tuberculosis, and didn't spend much time in environments where exposure would be likely. I think it's pretty common practice here to try to diagnose TB infections before people start showing actual symptoms, since the person would not be contagious at that stage.

Apparently, the BCG vaccine (the one that is commonly given to children in countries where TB is more common) is not recommended for adults, since it isn't always as effective and can interfere with the skin test, which allows for early detection and treatment of latent TB infections before they turn into the disease (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Infectious Diseases Related To Travel: Tuberculosis).

The CDC has other information on TB and the BCG vaccine here: http://www.cdc.gov/Vaccines/vpd-vac/tb/default.htm

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8714 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
^I have a rather large scar on my upper left arm but it is from the small pox vaccine.  The only TB thing I ever had done was the skin test where they insert the 'stuff' just under the skin on your forearm and come back and check it a few days later for reaction.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario