Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1060289 times)

cwm

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8715 on: November 20, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »
In the US, TB vaccine isn't given. Sis and mom both had to have skin tests, they were in a CNA class and were going to be doing practical exams in an actual nursing home, and they had to be tested. Sis had to get another test before she got a job in another nursing home a year later.

I think if it's negative you're fine, if it's positive, they treat you, but there's no more vaccination because of how rare it is. That's my understanding, at least.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8716 on: November 20, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
I don't think TB vaccinations have been given in the U.S. since the early 1970's.  or is that smallpox vaccine?  I can't remember.  In any case, I know that arm scar, and know that the causative vaccine has not been given in maybe 40 years.

Smallpox vaccine. Smallpox has been eradicated in the wild; the last case was in 1977.

I'm 8 years older than The Sweetie. She said one way she could tell the age gap wasn't too big was that we both have smallpox vaccination scars.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

paintpots

« Reply #8717 on: November 20, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »
I have a scar like that on my arm from the TB vaccine (BCG), given when I was about 13 (I'm in the UK). That was in the late 90's though, so I don't know whether they still give them out. They gave you a 'heaf test' on your wrist (lots of little needles) to see if you showed seroconversion (i.e. evidence of either prior vaccination or exposure to TB), and if you didn't have any reaction, you got vaccinated.

I have a feeling they don't give them any more - the BCG isn't a particularly good vaccine, and TB is hard to diagnose (and treat).
Smallpox vaccines were stopped some time in the late 70s early 80s I believe. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8718 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
No TB vaccinations in Canada. And no smallpox since ages ago (I don't have the scar, and I'm older than old dirt).

When a disease is as rare as TB, and the vaccination isn't completely effective, it may make more sense to use public health reporting and treatment to deal with the minimal cases that do crop up. If the number of cases rises, then vaccination would be seen as a more desirable measure.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8719 on: November 20, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
No TB vaccinations in Canada. And no smallpox since ages ago (I don't have the scar, and I'm older than old dirt).

I'm surprised!  I was born in '68 and had the smallpox vaccine.  I do know people younger than me that have it, too.  And a woman I worked with was going to have her daughter vaccinated - but on the leg, rather than the arm due to the scar.  This was in the early 90's.  I think she had to specifically request it, though, and had it done because she knew they would be travelling.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Anniissa

« Reply #8720 on: November 20, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
I've had the vaccine but I don't have an obvious scar like that on my upper arm where I had the injection.  In fact, it made me look again and I can't even tell where it was as there is no obvious indication. Guess it must depend on individual reactions perhaps.

Ereine

« Reply #8721 on: November 20, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
I was vaccinated for TB (apparently the day after I was born, according to a card that has all my vaccinations) and I think that I was among the youngest age group in Finland that got it, I was born in 1980. I have a scar for a vaccination on my thigh, I don't know if it was from that or something else.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8722 on: November 20, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
The only people I know that have the smallpox vaccination scar were in the military and went overseas. DH has one.

I have a scar from the polio vaccine on my upper arm.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8723 on: November 20, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
Child born in 1969 had small pox vaccination, but child born in 1971 didn't.

I was so afraid of TB when I was a child, I think I would have welcomed the vaccination for that. The polio shots came to my school when I was in 4th grade, but I never heard of a scar from that. Our children both had the oral vaccine, as well as measles shots when entering college. Of course, they had the full course of DPT innoculations.

Hillia

« Reply #8724 on: November 20, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
I have a smallpox vaccination scar on my back - my doctor gave them there so they'd be less obvious.  I think our polio vaccine was the oral version, but I can't swear to it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8725 on: November 20, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »
Curiously, neither my older sister or I got small pox vaccination and my mother always made sure we got all the shots, at the proper time. My 5 years younger BF got it. We were all in the same city, too.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #8726 on: November 20, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
I was vaccinated for both TB and smallpox, but have no vaccine scar from either. I was born in 1963, and raised in New York City; my impression is that everyone my age got the smallpox vaccine, but the TB one was less common. (The last I checked WHO recommends it only for children in specific parts of the Third World.) My mother said I need to know I had the vaccine, in case a doctor is ever trying to diagnose a lung infection, because it means the skin test for TB will come up positive whether or not I have TB.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8727 on: November 20, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
Does anyone happen to know why the word "weekend" used to be considered vulgar?  I've read several books set in England after WWI, and at least two of them mention that so-and-so is a real dragon about proper words and "weekend" shouldn't be used around them.  How else do you refer to Saturday and Sunday?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8728 on: November 20, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »
Does anyone happen to know why the word "weekend" used to be considered vulgar?  I've read several books set in England after WWI, and at least two of them mention that so-and-so is a real dragon about proper words and "weekend" shouldn't be used around them.  How else do you refer to Saturday and Sunday?

Wild guess: it probably has to do with attitudes towards work. The upper class did not work except in very few professions (where they were not expected to keep office hours). Therefore, the weekend as we know it (two days of not working) was not really relevant, except Sunday as a religious day. The working class would look forward to the days of rest. Caring about the weekend, specifically, was working class and vulgar.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8729 on: November 20, 2013, 05:13:02 PM »
I have a scar like that on my arm from the TB vaccine (BCG), given when I was about 13 (I'm in the UK). That was in the late 90's though, so I don't know whether they still give them out. They gave you a 'heaf test' on your wrist (lots of little needles) to see if you showed seroconversion (i.e. evidence of either prior vaccination or exposure to TB), and if you didn't have any reaction, you got vaccinated.

I have a feeling they don't give them any more - the BCG isn't a particularly good vaccine, and TB is hard to diagnose (and treat).
Smallpox vaccines were stopped some time in the late 70s early 80s I believe. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

The BCG isn't given out any more in the UK.  My scar from it is a tiny white spot.  I can find it after a bit of looking but I doubt anyone else could.

I have a scar from the polio vaccine on my upper arm.

You got an injected polio vaccine?  Lucky you - mine was by mouth and it was foul!