Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 840481 times)

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8715 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »
^^ thanks!  That's what I get, trying to be smart before 7AM!

Margo

« Reply #8716 on: November 20, 2013, 06:46:15 AM »
Teaching reading - you have to teach it all phonics, sight words, guided reading. No one method is going to work with all kids. But you get administrators that get wedded to a particular method or state legislatures that are required to send billions out of the country to the be all end all company (Pearson) and the kids and teachers are the victims.

My Mom used to tell a story about how Sis got to JH and the teachers asked "What happened the kids can spell" - Mom's reply they stopped teaching only phonics. Drove my Mom crazy I would spell words completely phonetically. Words that I could read fine, I would spell wrong.

So true. I read by word shapes. Fortunately I could read before I got to school, so wasn't derailed by the fact that phonics was The One True Way to teach. When my brother stated school, he hadn't  yet learned to read. And he didn't, for ages, because the way that the school *had* to teach it (Phonics again) did not work for him. Fortunately, the teacher was willing to conspire with my mum (who was at that time working as a volunteer at the school) to teach him, and one or two others with similar problems:

"Well, we are required to use this method, so I cannot allow anything else. But I'm very busy, and so I won't be checking up on you. And I think you'll find it easiest of you work with these kids in the library corner. Where there are some drawers with the old reading aids from the old system we don't use any more because it is not the One True Way. Do make sure you don't accidentally use the old materials we are storing in the in the second drawer down until we get round to throwing them away. Be particularly careful not to accidentally  the ones on the right hand side. ..."

Little brother and the other non readers all learned to read. And Ofsted was none the wiser.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8717 on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:24 AM »
Carrotte wrote:

"Have you tried cleaning it with the TV on? So that it might warm up a bit and be easier to wipe off (and if your tv doesn't heat up [do tv heat up? I haven't been near one in ages] maybe a quick blast of hair dryer)."

If it's a flat panel TV, it won't generate an appreciable amount of heat when it's on, and it's a bad idea to try heating it with a hair dryer because spot heat like that can damage it.  One way to clean it is to use monitor wipes, but be aware that it'll take a gentle hand, a lot of time and a fair number of wipes to get crayon residue off the screen.  Isopropyl alcohol in water will also work, as long as you use a microfiber cloth or the like.  Don't bear down on the surface and don't "scrub" it hard, and eventually it'll come clean.  Be sure to power down the TV and unplug it before trying this, and above all, Be. Patient.

Virg

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8718 on: November 20, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
As others have said, TB vaccinations aren't common in the US, but TB skin tests are. I had them regularly when I was growing up, even though I was never (to my knowledge) exposed to anyone who had tuberculosis, and didn't spend much time in environments where exposure would be likely. I think it's pretty common practice here to try to diagnose TB infections before people start showing actual symptoms, since the person would not be contagious at that stage.

Apparently, the BCG vaccine (the one that is commonly given to children in countries where TB is more common) is not recommended for adults, since it isn't always as effective and can interfere with the skin test, which allows for early detection and treatment of latent TB infections before they turn into the disease (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Infectious Diseases Related To Travel: Tuberculosis).

The CDC has other information on TB and the BCG vaccine here: http://www.cdc.gov/Vaccines/vpd-vac/tb/default.htm

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8719 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
^I have a rather large scar on my upper left arm but it is from the small pox vaccine.  The only TB thing I ever had done was the skin test where they insert the 'stuff' just under the skin on your forearm and come back and check it a few days later for reaction.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #8720 on: November 20, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »
In the US, TB vaccine isn't given. Sis and mom both had to have skin tests, they were in a CNA class and were going to be doing practical exams in an actual nursing home, and they had to be tested. Sis had to get another test before she got a job in another nursing home a year later.

I think if it's negative you're fine, if it's positive, they treat you, but there's no more vaccination because of how rare it is. That's my understanding, at least.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8721 on: November 20, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
I don't think TB vaccinations have been given in the U.S. since the early 1970's.  or is that smallpox vaccine?  I can't remember.  In any case, I know that arm scar, and know that the causative vaccine has not been given in maybe 40 years.

Smallpox vaccine. Smallpox has been eradicated in the wild; the last case was in 1977.

I'm 8 years older than The Sweetie. She said one way she could tell the age gap wasn't too big was that we both have smallpox vaccination scars.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

paintpots

« Reply #8722 on: November 20, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »
I have a scar like that on my arm from the TB vaccine (BCG), given when I was about 13 (I'm in the UK). That was in the late 90's though, so I don't know whether they still give them out. They gave you a 'heaf test' on your wrist (lots of little needles) to see if you showed seroconversion (i.e. evidence of either prior vaccination or exposure to TB), and if you didn't have any reaction, you got vaccinated.

I have a feeling they don't give them any more - the BCG isn't a particularly good vaccine, and TB is hard to diagnose (and treat).
Smallpox vaccines were stopped some time in the late 70s early 80s I believe. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8723 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
No TB vaccinations in Canada. And no smallpox since ages ago (I don't have the scar, and I'm older than old dirt).

When a disease is as rare as TB, and the vaccination isn't completely effective, it may make more sense to use public health reporting and treatment to deal with the minimal cases that do crop up. If the number of cases rises, then vaccination would be seen as a more desirable measure.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8724 on: November 20, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
No TB vaccinations in Canada. And no smallpox since ages ago (I don't have the scar, and I'm older than old dirt).

I'm surprised!  I was born in '68 and had the smallpox vaccine.  I do know people younger than me that have it, too.  And a woman I worked with was going to have her daughter vaccinated - but on the leg, rather than the arm due to the scar.  This was in the early 90's.  I think she had to specifically request it, though, and had it done because she knew they would be travelling.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Anniissa

« Reply #8725 on: November 20, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
I've had the vaccine but I don't have an obvious scar like that on my upper arm where I had the injection.  In fact, it made me look again and I can't even tell where it was as there is no obvious indication. Guess it must depend on individual reactions perhaps.

Ereine

« Reply #8726 on: November 20, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
I was vaccinated for TB (apparently the day after I was born, according to a card that has all my vaccinations) and I think that I was among the youngest age group in Finland that got it, I was born in 1980. I have a scar for a vaccination on my thigh, I don't know if it was from that or something else.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8727 on: November 20, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
The only people I know that have the smallpox vaccination scar were in the military and went overseas. DH has one.

I have a scar from the polio vaccine on my upper arm.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8728 on: November 20, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
Child born in 1969 had small pox vaccination, but child born in 1971 didn't.

I was so afraid of TB when I was a child, I think I would have welcomed the vaccination for that. The polio shots came to my school when I was in 4th grade, but I never heard of a scar from that. Our children both had the oral vaccine, as well as measles shots when entering college. Of course, they had the full course of DPT innoculations.

Hillia

« Reply #8729 on: November 20, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
I have a smallpox vaccination scar on my back - my doctor gave them there so they'd be less obvious.  I think our polio vaccine was the oral version, but I can't swear to it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools