Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1065670 times)

magicdomino

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8730 on: November 20, 2013, 05:21:36 PM »
You got an injected polio vaccine?  Lucky you - mine was by mouth and it was foul!

Mine was on a sugar cube.  Probably the only childhood vaccination where I didn't scream the place down.   :D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8731 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
You got an injected polio vaccine?  Lucky you - mine was by mouth and it was foul!

Mine was on a sugar cube.  Probably the only childhood vaccination where I didn't scream the place down.   :D

The first bite of the sugar cube was okay... the second one was where I hit the vaccine and eeeewwwwwww!

perpetua

« Reply #8732 on: November 20, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
I have a scar like that on my arm from the TB vaccine (BCG), given when I was about 13 (I'm in the UK). That was in the late 90's though, so I don't know whether they still give them out. They gave you a 'heaf test' on your wrist (lots of little needles) to see if you showed seroconversion (i.e. evidence of either prior vaccination or exposure to TB), and if you didn't have any reaction, you got vaccinated.

I have a feeling they don't give them any more - the BCG isn't a particularly good vaccine, and TB is hard to diagnose (and treat).
Smallpox vaccines were stopped some time in the late 70s early 80s I believe. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

The BCG isn't given out any more in the UK.  My scar from it is a tiny white spot.  I can find it after a bit of looking but I doubt anyone else could.

Oh, the terror of the BCG vaccination. I remember it well. Of course those who'd had it before filled us with all kinds of horror stories about how awful it was going to be and how people ended up with giant holes in their arms. Everyone was so scared of having it done that they deliberately didn't tell us when they came round to do it - we were suddenly all called to the nurse's office and there it was. A week followed of everyone clutching their arms and shouting "BCG, BCG!!"

Mine's quite visible, and I remember getting a sort-of hole, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8733 on: November 20, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
I have a scar like that on my arm from the TB vaccine (BCG), given when I was about 13 (I'm in the UK). That was in the late 90's though, so I don't know whether they still give them out. They gave you a 'heaf test' on your wrist (lots of little needles) to see if you showed seroconversion (i.e. evidence of either prior vaccination or exposure to TB), and if you didn't have any reaction, you got vaccinated.

I have a feeling they don't give them any more - the BCG isn't a particularly good vaccine, and TB is hard to diagnose (and treat).
Smallpox vaccines were stopped some time in the late 70s early 80s I believe. It was declared eradicated in 1979.

The BCG isn't given out any more in the UK.  My scar from it is a tiny white spot.  I can find it after a bit of looking but I doubt anyone else could.

Oh, the terror of the BCG vaccination. I remember it well. Of course those who'd had it before filled us with all kinds of horror stories about how awful it was going to be and how people ended up with giant holes in their arms. Everyone was so scared of having it done that they deliberately didn't tell us when they came round to do it - we were suddenly all called to the nurse's office and there it was. A week followed of everyone clutching their arms and shouting "BCG, BCG!!"

Mine's quite visible, and I remember getting a sort-of hole, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The jab didn't bother me at all, but the patch test was quite sore (I have very sensitive skin).  Of course, the nurse told me not to be so silly when I said "ouch"  ::)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8734 on: November 20, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
US here. I was born in 1960. I have a scar on my upper arm from the smallpox vaccine, and I remember getting the polio vaccine on a sugar cube. No TB vaccine, but I have had the TB test quite a lot, as I used to volunteer in a soup kitchen and TB can be rampant among the homeless.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8735 on: November 20, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
We got the polio vaccine in an device that put it through the skin. 1970's in Texas public schools. We have ring scars from it.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8736 on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
I don't think TB vaccinations have been given in the U.S. since the early 1970's.  or is that smallpox vaccine?  I can't remember.  In any case, I know that arm scar, and know that the causative vaccine has not been given in maybe 40 years.
I don't think TB Vaccinations have been given in the US. We do the skin test. It causes problems for immigrants who don't understand/give full history because they will test positive for the antibodies.

In Texas at least they stopped requiring the Smallpox vax between 1972 and 1976. I can't have smallpox vax because of my skin condition - techically I'm immune compromised.  My parents had to jump through hoops to get me in school. I found the paper work a while back. A bunch of forms and letters from my pediatrician refusing to give me the vaccination (Near Quote - "(My full legal name) has atopic dermatitis. The small pox vaccination will KILL her. I refuse to risk her life. He didn't directly insult the school - but the handwritten letter expressed his frustration with the situation), a more civil letter from dermatologist confirming my diagnoses, and a flat scientific letter from a doctor I don't recognize confirming my pediatrician's opinion that I had a huge risk of serious life threatening reaction to the vaccination.

Sis as 4 years behind me in school - it was a non-issue. None of her friends have the scar. I do know that if they had required it our pediatrician would have refused again, because there is some danger of person to person transmission mainly from skin to skin contact.  Mom said that he only conditions that he would agree to give sis the vaccination was if we were kept completely apart during the time that skin to skin contact could endanger me.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8737 on: November 20, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »
I have a question about TB vaccination scars.

Where I live (third world country), everyone has a TB vaccination when they are about 7ish or so, and it tends to develop into a huge absess that scars very distinctly and visibly.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/476203/350wm/C0141852-BCG_vaccination_scar-SPL.jpg

Every person I know who has grown up here (and in nearby countries) has a large circular scar on their upper arm from it. I was wondering, do first world countries have the same vaccinations and associated scars on their arms? I've never seen them on the arms of actors or actresses from the US, so I'm guessing it's not done there?

I always thought that scar was from  the small pox vaccination.  Hmmm, learned something new.

I do not have it, but I am not allowed vaccinations due to my crazy, severe reactions to them...not even a flu shot.  I don't know many people my age, mid 30s, that do have it, but most of the older generation I know does.

If an actor or actress does have a scar, I can only assume it gets covered up or taken out during editing.
My smallpox vaccine scar, now about 50 years old, has faded into invisibility.  After smallpox was stamped out in the wild in the late 1970's, they stopped giving vaccines in developed countries.  DD1, born in 1977, was supposed to have the vaccine in order to get a passport when Uncle Sam sent us to Italy in 1979, but didn't.  The doctors at the military hospital said that they would put down on the paperwork that it was done, but that they felt that the vaccine was unnecessary and might cause problems in a child not yet 2.  So it's likely that you won't see smallpox vaccine scars on a person younger than their late thirties. 

I have to say that I've never heard of a TB vaccine.   Tests, yes, but not a vaccine.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8738 on: November 21, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »
I always thought the vaccine scar came from the gun-type of thing that they used to use instead of a needle not the particular drug/vaccine that was used.

inhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector the gun.

I remember all the kids at school lining up for their inoculations and these guns were used . . . I don't know what we were being inoculated for. I never scarred, but my brother and sister did.

I'm in the US and this was in the mid-60s.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8739 on: November 21, 2013, 06:47:39 PM »
New question(s) . . . do snowboards have boot/latches like snow skis? or are they free form (for lack of better wording) like skateboards and surfboards?

I always thought that they were free form until I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tIfbKvYOs

I know water skis have foot holds/shoes . . . do some surfboards have the same thing?

Additional question, if you watch the video: What the heck is that person hanging on to? . . . the person on snow skis at the very beginning and shown several times throughout the video. It looks like a long pole, I'm just wondering if it's attached to anything.

Just curious. ;D

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8740 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
jpcher wrote:

"New question(s) . . . do snowboards have boot/latches like snow skis?"

Yes, snowboards have bindings like skis.

"I know water skis have foot holds/shoes . . . do some surfboards have the same thing?"

No, they don't.  Water skis need footholds because the person on the skis is being pulled forward so the skis would be pulled off backward if they weren't attached.  Surfboards are pushed from behind by the wave and the rider stands on it like a platform, so they don't have to be attached to the board.

"Additional question, if you watch the video: What the heck is that person hanging on to? . . . the person on snow skis at the very beginning and shown several times throughout the video. It looks like a long pole, I'm just wondering if it's attached to anything."

The camera that's recording the video you're watching is on the end of the pole.

Virg

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8741 on: November 21, 2013, 07:34:03 PM »
jpcher wrote:

"New question(s) . . . do snowboards have boot/latches like snow skis?"

Yes, snowboards have bindings like skis.

"I know water skis have foot holds/shoes . . . do some surfboards have the same thing?"

No, they don't.  Water skis need footholds because the person on the skis is being pulled forward so the skis would be pulled off backward if they weren't attached.  Surfboards are pushed from behind by the wave and the rider stands on it like a platform, so they don't have to be attached to the board.

"Additional question, if you watch the video: What the heck is that person hanging on to? . . . the person on snow skis at the very beginning and shown several times throughout the video. It looks like a long pole, I'm just wondering if it's attached to anything."

The camera that's recording the video you're watching is on the end of the pole.

Virg

There are 2 different types of bindings: step in and strap in.  The step in ones are like ski ones and generally work on the same principle other than what actually clicks in.  The strap in ones are exactly like they sound.  You keep one foot strapped in the entire time and unstrap the other one to propel yourself on flat ground.  When you're ready to start snowboarding, you put your foot in and strap in.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8742 on: November 21, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
And there are two types of strap in bindings.  One type, you have to sit down and put your foot in then ratchet the binding down until it is tight.  The other type allows you to slide your foot in in a standing position and bend down and give a couple clicks and you're good to go.

The former?  Is the bane of my existence on the hill because most of them sit down at the top of the hill.  All the way across the top of the hill.  Trying to get between them is like trying to thread a needle sometimes.  Dude, plop down at the side of the hill not right in the dingdangity middle!

(Yes, I'm a skier, not a boarder.  Can you tell?   :D)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #8743 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:03 PM »
I was one of the very few in my area without the vaccination scar.  My mother said that I had the vaccine but it didn't "take", so I don't have one.

I went to elementary school in Missouri during the 1970s.

Pen^2

« Reply #8744 on: November 22, 2013, 01:07:04 AM »
I was one of the very few in my area without the vaccination scar.  My mother said that I had the vaccine but it didn't "take", so I don't have one.

I went to elementary school in Missouri during the 1970s.

For some reason, my first mental picture of a vaccination not "taking" is that you're superman and your skin cannot be pierced by trifles such as mere needles. I'm just going to assume that this is the case, if that's okay.