Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1023769 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8745 on: November 22, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »
I always thought the vaccine scar came from the gun-type of thing that they used to use instead of a needle not the particular drug/vaccine that was used.

inhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector the gun.

I remember all the kids at school lining up for their inoculations and these guns were used . . . I don't know what we were being inoculated for. I never scarred, but my brother and sister did.

I'm in the US and this was in the mid-60s.

That was the German Measles vaccine.  I got one too, around that time.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8746 on: November 22, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
I just made some pumpkin rolls and would like to freeze one until Thanksgiving. Is there anything I need to do to freeze it other than put it in the freezer? What about thawing it?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8747 on: November 22, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
I just made some pumpkin rolls and would like to freeze one until Thanksgiving. Is there anything I need to do to freeze it other than put it in the freezer? What about thawing it?

Depends on what you mean by pumpkin rolls .... is there some sort of filling that might not freeze very well?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8748 on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
I was one of the very few in my area without the vaccination scar.  My mother said that I had the vaccine but it didn't "take", so I don't have one.

I went to elementary school in Missouri during the 1970s.
My sister and I both had the vaccine shot the same day, probably in 1969 since I think she had to have it to start school and the nurse said she might as well give me mine too since I'd need it in a couple of years. Sis became very ill for a couple of days and she has a terrible scar. I on the other hand had no symptoms or any sign of a scar. The doctor said the same, that mine didn't take or that I had some type of natural immunization and if I'd been exposed to the actual virus I probably would have been fine.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8749 on: November 22, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
OK, new stupid question:  Of these marks <  >  which is 'more than' and which is 'less  than'?

I thought I had a handle on them, that this one < meant 'less than' because it pointed backwards on an imaginary number line:  3 < 4.   But then I got the update for "My Singing Monsters" and overnight my statistics went from 34 'likes' to  >1000 'likes'. Which would mean more than a thousand likes, correct? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8750 on: November 22, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
You are perfectly right. And congratulations - over a thousand likes is fantastic.

jilly

« Reply #8751 on: November 22, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
x>y x is greater than y
x<y x is less than y
it points towards the lesser number and is read from left to right so yes you got more than 1000 likes :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8752 on: November 22, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
OK, new stupid question:  Of these marks <  >  which is 'more than' and which is 'less  than'?

I thought I had a handle on them, that this one < meant 'less than' because it pointed backwards on an imaginary number line:  3 < 4.   But then I got the update for "My Singing Monsters" and overnight my statistics went from 34 'likes' to  >1000 'likes'. Which would mean more than a thousand likes, correct?

The end with the smaller space between the lines is the smaller number - 2 < 3, or 100 > 0.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8753 on: November 22, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »

Depends on what you mean by pumpkin rolls .... is there some sort of filling that might not freeze very well?

The filling is cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and confectioners sugar.  Here is a similar ingredient list to the one I used:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup flour

Filling
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #8754 on: November 22, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »

The end with the smaller space between the lines is the smaller number - 2 < 3, or 100 > 0.
The mnemonic I made up for that sign when I was little is that it's Pac-Man, and he eats the big numbers. I was a bit of a video game nerd.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8755 on: November 22, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »

Yup.

I learned it as the wide part of the > or < means greater because it is wider (bigger) than the narrow part (or point) which is small. So the pointy side always points to the smaller amount.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8756 on: November 22, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »
jpcher wrote:

"New question(s) . . . do snowboards have boot/latches like snow skis?"

Yes, snowboards have bindings like skis.

"I know water skis have foot holds/shoes . . . do some surfboards have the same thing?"

No, they don't.  Water skis need footholds because the person on the skis is being pulled forward so the skis would be pulled off backward if they weren't attached.  Surfboards are pushed from behind by the wave and the rider stands on it like a platform, so they don't have to be attached to the board.

"Additional question, if you watch the video: What the heck is that person hanging on to? . . . the person on snow skis at the very beginning and shown several times throughout the video. It looks like a long pole, I'm just wondering if it's attached to anything."

The camera that's recording the video you're watching is on the end of the pole.

Virg

Thanks, Virg!

I rewatched the video and there it is, quite obvious if I knew what I was looking at, right in the beginning the camera attached to the pole. Some pretty impressive footage from that camera! ;D

emwithme

« Reply #8757 on: November 22, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »

The mnemonic I made up for that sign when I was little is that it's Pac-Man, and he eats the big numbers. I was a bit of a video game nerd.

I was taught at school (30-mumble) years ago, to imagine a Very Hungry Crocodile.  He *always* wants to eat the bigger number.  I *still* have to use that imagery.

But then again, I still need to use my fingers to do the nine times table. 

Iris

« Reply #8758 on: November 22, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »

I was taught at school (30-mumble) years ago, to imagine a Very Hungry Crocodile.  He *always* wants to eat the bigger number.  I *still* have to use that imagery.

I still use those exact mnemonics (both of them) with students. They still work.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8759 on: November 22, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »

That's how I learned it too. :)