Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1006157 times)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8760 on: November 22, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
OK, new stupid question:  Of these marks <  >  which is 'more than' and which is 'less  than'?

I thought I had a handle on them, that this one < meant 'less than' because it pointed backwards on an imaginary number line:  3 < 4.   But then I got the update for "My Singing Monsters" and overnight my statistics went from 34 'likes' to  >1000 'likes'. Which would mean more than a thousand likes, correct?

The end with the smaller space between the lines is the smaller number - 2 < 3, or 100 > 0.
The mnemonic I made up for that sign when I was little is that it's Pac-Man, and he eats the big numbers. I was a bit of a video game nerd.

I was taught at school (30-mumble) years ago, to imagine a Very Hungry Crocodile.  He *always* wants to eat the bigger number.  I *still* have to use that imagery.

But then again, I still need to use my fingers to do the nine times table.

That's how I learned it too. :)

And me!  And yes, I still have to use that as well.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Carotte

« Reply #8761 on: November 23, 2013, 05:44:25 AM »
The mnemonic I made up for that sign when I was little is that it's Pac-Man, and he eats the big numbers. I was a bit of a video game nerd.

I was taught at school (30-mumble) years ago, to imagine a Very Hungry Crocodile.  He *always* wants to eat the bigger number.  I *still* have to use that imagery.

But then again, I still need to use my fingers to do the nine times table.
[/quote]

Hey, I got the crocodile story too, and yes, still use it :).
But I get really confused if there's only one number, like ">50% of students filled the application", I never know if it's supposed to mean fewer or more than 50%...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8762 on: November 23, 2013, 05:59:39 AM »

But I get really confused if there's only one number, like ">50% of students filled the application", I never know if it's supposed to mean fewer or more than 50%...

More, because the "50%" is on the pointy (small) side of the symbol.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:43:36 AM by RingTailedLemur »

Betelnut

« Reply #8763 on: November 23, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »
Can animals faint?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

EmmaJ.

« Reply #8764 on: November 23, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I just made some pumpkin rolls and would like to freeze one until Thanksgiving. Is there anything I need to do to freeze it other than put it in the freezer? What about thawing it?

Depends on what you mean by pumpkin rolls .... is there some sort of filling that might not freeze very well?

The filling is cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and confectioners sugar.  Here is a similar ingredient list to the one I used:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup flour

Filling
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

These freeze beautifully. I make dozens every year for Christmas presents. First wrap in plastic wrap, then heavy-duty foil. To thaw, put them in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours, depending on size. I wait until after they are thawed to sprinkle on the powdered sugar.

Pen^2

« Reply #8765 on: November 23, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
Can animals faint?

Yes!!

My DH once had a dog who would pass out when they took her to the vet. It was kind of hilarious.

And now, behold: fainting goats! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3Utmj4RPU (not true fainting, and more like muscles briefly freezing when stressed, but I couldn't resist!)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8766 on: November 23, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »
OK, new stupid question:  Of these marks <  >  which is 'more than' and which is 'less  than'?

I thought I had a handle on them, that this one < meant 'less than' because it pointed backwards on an imaginary number line:  3 < 4.   But then I got the update for "My Singing Monsters" and overnight my statistics went from 34 'likes' to  >1000 'likes'. Which would mean more than a thousand likes, correct? 

McGreedy always eats the bigger number. So 3 < 4 is read 3 is less than 4. 5 > 4 Five is greater than four.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8767 on: November 23, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »
I just made some pumpkin rolls and would like to freeze one until Thanksgiving. Is there anything I need to do to freeze it other than put it in the freezer? What about thawing it?

Depends on what you mean by pumpkin rolls .... is there some sort of filling that might not freeze very well?

The filling is cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and confectioners sugar.  Here is a similar ingredient list to the one I used:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup flour

Filling
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

These freeze beautifully. I make dozens every year for Christmas presents. First wrap in plastic wrap, then heavy-duty foil. To thaw, put them in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours, depending on size. I wait until after they are thawed to sprinkle on the powdered sugar.

Awesome!  Thank you!  I'll get to putting it in the freezer right away!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #8768 on: November 24, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I was one of the very few in my area without the vaccination scar.  My mother said that I had the vaccine but it didn't "take", so I don't have one.

I went to elementary school in Missouri during the 1970s.

For some reason, my first mental picture of a vaccination not "taking" is that you're superman and your skin cannot be pierced by trifles such as mere needles. I'm just going to assume that this is the case, if that's okay.

Oh, crap.  My cover's blown.

Maude

« Reply #8769 on: November 24, 2013, 10:44:54 PM »

The BIG number at the BIG end.  e g 8>5.

Xandraea

« Reply #8770 on: November 25, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »

The BIG number at the BIG end.  e g 8>5.

I think that 8>5 = 8 is greater than 5, and 5<8 = 5 is less than 8.

Rohanna

« Reply #8771 on: November 25, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »
I was taught that "the mouth wants to eat the bigger number "- and that visual stuck :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8772 on: November 25, 2013, 01:11:55 AM »
It's interesting to see the different mnemonics for greater-than/less-than.  The way I learned it was simply that the arrow always points at the smaller side.

Virg

paintpots

« Reply #8773 on: November 25, 2013, 07:02:40 AM »
I always remember that < looks a bit like an  'L', i.e. less than. Only thing that stuck!

JoW

« Reply #8774 on: November 25, 2013, 07:06:16 AM »
< and >
The little end is on the little number.