News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 05:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2567517 times)

magicdomino

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8760 on: December 07, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
So you can lounge on a lounge in a lounge?   ;)

JoW

« Reply #8761 on: December 07, 2013, 10:33:32 PM »
It's interesting to see the different mnemonics for greater-than/less-than.  The way I learned it was simply that the arrow always points at the smaller side.

Virg

The big end goes on (beside) the big number.  The little end goes on the little number. 

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #8762 on: December 07, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »
I would say  lounge suite or lounger to describe the furniture in the lounge

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8763 on: December 07, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »
I would say  lounge suite or lounger to describe the furniture in the lounge

The lounge suite to me is the lounge plus the chairs.  I don't think I've ever called the lounge a lounger.

Funny how language works, isn't it.  :)

Iris

« Reply #8764 on: December 08, 2013, 04:07:47 AM »
So you can lounge on a lounge in a lounge?   ;)

Too right. In fact I'm going to go do that right now  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8765 on: December 09, 2013, 03:08:55 AM »
On of the things I have noticed is that here and in Oz, it is a lounge.  No room.  It would be like saying 'a kitchen room'.  It might be a sitting room, or a drawing room, or a family room, but not a lounge room.  One of those language oddities
In South Africa it's almost exclusively a lounge (no "room"), and it's never really a sitting room, or a drawing room or anything other than a lounge.

But we don't call large couches "lounges". They're either couches or settees.
<3

cabbageweevil

« Reply #8766 on: December 09, 2013, 04:16:27 AM »
On of the things I have noticed is that here and in Oz, it is a lounge.  No room.  It would be like saying 'a kitchen room'.  It might be a sitting room, or a drawing room, or a family room, but not a lounge room.  One of those language oddities
In South Africa it's almost exclusively a lounge (no "room"), and it's never really a sitting room, or a drawing room or anything other than a lounge.

In England, in my experience the furniture item concerned is occasionally called a couch, but nearly always a sofa or a settee. The English tendency toward class-based snobbery comes into play here.  Patrician types always talk about "sofas", and regard "settee" as a lower-middle-class, gauche, "non-U" term.  On this matter, you lot out in the Empire plainly haven't got a clue  ;) ...

WolfWay

« Reply #8767 on: December 09, 2013, 04:37:28 AM »

In England, in my experience the furniture item concerned is occasionally called a couch, but nearly always a sofa or a settee. The English tendency toward class-based snobbery comes into play here.  Patrician types always talk about "sofas", and regard "settee" as a lower-middle-class, gauche, "non-U" term.  On this matter, you lot out in the Empire plainly haven't got a clue  ;) ...
My working-class post-colonial third-world settee might not be fancy, but it is darn comfy.  ;D  ;)
<3

WolfWay

« Reply #8768 on: December 09, 2013, 04:39:24 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, why "drawing room"? Did people do a lot of drawing in the living room? Or were there a lot of drawings on the wall or something?
<3

Redsoil

« Reply #8769 on: December 09, 2013, 05:45:39 AM »
As I understand it, "drawing room" is a contraction of the term "withdrawing room" - the room to which ladies would withdraw after dinner for polite chat and such, leaving the gentlemen to their cigars, brandy and "men-talk".
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

WolfWay

« Reply #8770 on: December 09, 2013, 06:08:47 AM »
As I understand it, "drawing room" is a contraction of the term "withdrawing room" - the room to which ladies would withdraw after dinner for polite chat and such, leaving the gentlemen to their cigars, brandy and "men-talk".
Ah right. Thank you.  :)
<3

menley

« Reply #8771 on: December 09, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »

I have always wondered about this!! Thank you!

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #8772 on: December 09, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »

I have always wondered about this!! Thank you!

So have I! Thank you, Redsoil. :)
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

Bluenomi

« Reply #8773 on: December 10, 2013, 03:55:56 AM »

I tend to say lounge room.

More likely to say I'm sitting on the lounge (ie, the couch/sofa) than going into the lounge.

I say lounge room as well. Maybe it's a regional Oz thing

Redsoil

« Reply #8774 on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
Happy to be of help!  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!