A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1759/2486) > >>

Mel the Redcap:

--- Quote from: Dazi on December 11, 2013, 05:41:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: Brisvegasgal on December 11, 2013, 05:38:53 AM ---Whilst we're talking about cooking...are powdered sugar and icing sugar the same thing?

--- End quote ---

Yes they are.  Powdered sugar, icing sugar, and confectioner's sugar are all names for the same thing---extra finely ground fluffy sugar.

--- End quote ---

But if it's icing mixture, there's cornflour in there too.

Bluenomi:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on December 11, 2013, 02:20:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: Brisvegasgal on December 11, 2013, 05:38:53 AM ---Whilst we're talking about cooking...are powdered sugar and icing sugar the same thing?

--- End quote ---

Yes they are.  Powdered sugar, icing sugar, and confectioner's sugar are all names for the same thing---extra finely ground fluffy sugar.

--- End quote ---
It also has anti-caking stuff in it. 

My MIL called it 4X sugar.  She gave me her Xmas cookie recipe () at DH's request, and I had to ask her what the devil it was.

--- End quote ---

Icing mixture has anti caking agents (usually corn flour) but icing sugar is the pure stuff hence it gets way more lumpy and always needs sifting. It also sets harder

camlan:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on December 11, 2013, 02:20:02 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
It also has anti-caking stuff in it. 

My MIL called it 4X sugar.  She gave me her Xmas cookie recipe () at DH's request, and I had to ask her what the devil it was.

--- End quote ---

The number of Xs is to indicate either the number of times the sugar was sifted or the size of the grains of sugar--there are various definitions out there.

Domino's Sugar (a fairly common brand in the US) used to have "10X" printed in a quite large font on its boxes of powdered sugar, so a lot of people started calling powdered sugar "10X sugar." My mom did, as did all the women in her family. The 10X is still there on the box, but it's printed a lot smaller these days.

Thipu1:
As a child, I always thought that 'Ten X' was Domino's trade name for confectioner's sugar.  Thanks for clearing that up. 

amandaelizabeth:
And sometimes men wear a lounge suit whilst lounging on the lounge suite in the lounge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version