Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058863 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8850 on: December 18, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »
I have one that's been bothering me for years:

How come "aunt" is pronounced "ant"?

Back when I first started learning English, I just naturally assumed the "au" was pronounced the same way as in "taunt" or "flaunt" but I've never heard it actually said that way...

Where did you learn English? Because the pronunciation of "aunt" varies depending on where you are.

In the US, in New England, a lot of people do pronounce it with the same sound as "taunt" instead of "ant." Especially in the Greater Boston area, there are many similarities in speech with the English spoken in parts of the UK.

I was recently watching a TV show (can't remember off hand what it was) and most of the actors were saying "ant," but one or two were "aunt" all the way. It struck me as odd, because all the characters were supposed to be members of the same family. And you'd think they would all learn the same pronunciation.

I actually switch back and forth - "Ant Amy" but "Aunt Sarah."  Sometimes I'll switch even for the same name.  Not sure why, but every time I try to figure it out it's like trying to figure out how fast you're breathing - once you think about it, you can't do it "naturally" anymore!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8851 on: December 18, 2013, 05:48:09 PM »
My son asked this, and it wasn't such a "stupid" question, in my opinion:

On Gilligan's Island, why did Skipper, Gilligan and the Professor always wear the same clothes, while the others had many clothes (for a three-hour tour?)?  They aren't really uniforms, after all.  (Sorry if that's too flip a question for the board).

Oh, but I think that Skipper and Gilligan's clothes were uniforms. Not naval uniforms, but the uniform of the tour company that they worked for. So I think this is a perfect explanation for them.

Professor? I bet he went on the 3 hour tour straight from work, probably to do some sort of scientific study while on board. If you remember on some episodes the Professor did wear a lab coat and safety goggles. So you can say that he was wearing his work uniform, too.

How's that? Believable enough for your son?

;D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8852 on: December 18, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »
My son asked this, and it wasn't such a "stupid" question, in my opinion:

On Gilligan's Island, why did Skipper, Gilligan and the Professor always wear the same clothes, while the others had many clothes (for a three-hour tour?)?  They aren't really uniforms, after all.  (Sorry if that's too flip a question for the board).

Oh, but I think that Skipper and Gilligan's clothes were uniforms. Not naval uniforms, but the uniform of the tour company that they worked for. So I think this is a perfect explanation for them.

Professor? I bet he went on the 3 hour tour straight from work, probably to do some sort of scientific study while on board. If you remember on some episodes the Professor did wear a lab coat and safety goggles. So you can say that he was wearing his work uniform, too.

How's that? Believable enough for your son?

;D

And in earlier episodes, they showed Ginger and Maryann making new clothes out of sails and stuff like that. It was only later that they just had huge wardrobes.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8853 on: December 19, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »
Bechdel test: is it BEK-del, BECH-del, BESH-del, or what?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8854 on: December 19, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Bechdel test: is it BEK-del, BECH-del, BESH-del, or what?

The interwebs seem to think BEK-del is correct.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Melle

« Reply #8855 on: December 20, 2013, 05:37:06 AM »
Where did you learn English? Because the pronunciation of "aunt" varies depending on where you are.

It's less of a where than a who, actually. I'm from Germany, but my mom is an English teacher and her best friend at the time I went to elementary school was from London (and often lent me the English Disney VHS tapes she got for her kids, which is how I got started learning the language), both of them spoke English with British accents. My teachers at school, however, leaned more towards "generic" American English. So I grew up with a wild variety of pronunciations. That's also why my accent when I speak English is pretty noticeable, but not the stereotypical German one ;) (people who only heard my voice have guessed that I might be Russian or, which still puzzles me a bit, Indian).

I believe the first time I heard the word aunt was in the movie "The Rescuers" where the villain in one scene refers to herself as "auntie Medusa" and if I'm not mistaken, she actually pronounced it "awn-tee". But in every media or any conversation I've had since with English speaking people it was pronounced like the animal "ant"...

cwm

« Reply #8856 on: December 23, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
The things that run through my head at 11:20 at night, let me tell you...

Perhaps someone of medical leaning can help me out with this. So the spine is divided into several sections. Sacral, lumbar, thoracic, and cervical. Why is it that the cervical spine is the highest, and yet the cervix is down near the bottom of the spine? Aren't those words related somehow?

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #8857 on: December 23, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
The things that run through my head at 11:20 at night, let me tell you...

Perhaps someone of medical leaning can help me out with this. So the spine is divided into several sections. Sacral, lumbar, thoracic, and cervical. Why is it that the cervical spine is the highest, and yet the cervix is down near the bottom of the spine? Aren't those words related somehow?
oh oh oh! I know this!  Cervix means neck. So cervical vertebrae are in the neck.  The cervix is the "neck" of the uterus.
Not such a newbie anymore

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8858 on: December 26, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »

It's less of a where than a who, actually. I'm from Germany, but my mom is an English teacher and her best friend at the time I went to elementary school was from London (and often lent me the English Disney VHS tapes she got for her kids, which is how I got started learning the language), both of them spoke English with British accents. My teachers at school, however, leaned more towards "generic" American English. So I grew up with a wild variety of pronunciations. That's also why my accent when I speak English is pretty noticeable, but not the stereotypical German one ;) (people who only heard my voice have guessed that I might be Russian or, which still puzzles me a bit, Indian).

I believe the first time I heard the word aunt was in the movie "The Rescuers" where the villain in one scene refers to herself as "auntie Medusa" and if I'm not mistaken, she actually pronounced it "awn-tee". But in every media or any conversation I've had since with English speaking people it was pronounced like the animal "ant"...

Sounds a bit like me learning German. We lived in Germany when I was very small and I learned a bit of German, with southern German accent/pronunciation. Then in high school and college I had one teacher with a southern pronunciation and two with northern German pronunciations and I got all mixed up on how to pronounce some words.

In general, most Americans say "ant."

I have one set of nieces and nephews who have a dad who says "ahnt" and a mom who says "ant." The oldest child picked up on that at a very young age, and insisted that his dad's sisters be "ahnts" and his mom's sisters were "ants." The kids call us all by the correct pronunciation--it's the adults who get all confused.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8859 on: December 29, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »
Here's another question.

What's the difference between a weather/storm watch and a weather/storm warning?

I know a weather advisory is the lowest panic level of them all. But the words "warning" and "watch" don't really convey different levels of impending doom, or snow or rain or what-have-you.

So how does the scale go, from lowest to highest?

Advisory
Watch
Warning

or

Advisory
Warning
Watch?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8860 on: December 29, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Advisory
Watch
Warning?

This is correct.

Watch = conditions are good for said storm, so Watch out.

Warning = conditions are really, really good that said storm is probably, more likely than not, going to happen.

Caveats put in place because you never know what's going to happen with the weather. ;)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8861 on: December 29, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
Here's another question.

What's the difference between a weather/storm watch and a weather/storm warning?

I know a weather advisory is the lowest panic level of them all. But the words "warning" and "watch" don't really convey different levels of impending doom, or snow or rain or what-have-you.

Advisory
Watch
Warning

or

Advisory
Warning
Watch?

Advisory is "we think this could happen in the near future."
Warning is "conditions are currently right for this to happen."
Watch is "take cover, this is happening!"

In the case of tornadoes, the kind of storm warning I'm most familiar with, a tornado warning means conditions are right for it to form, but a tornado watch means a tornado has actually been spotted.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8862 on: December 29, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
Here's another question.

Advisory
Watch
Warning

or

Advisory
Warning
Watch?

In the case of tornadoes, the kind of storm warning I'm most familiar with, a tornado warning means conditions are right for it to form, but a tornado watch means a tornado has actually been spotted.
Sorry, Kenvee, but you've flipped watch and warning.

Watch is "conditions are currently right for this to happen. "  IOW, "We're watching this carefully."
Warning is "take cover, this is happening!"  Just like any other warning.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:23:59 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8863 on: December 29, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »
New question about propane tanks . . . I have a propane space heater, but I think this question could also apply to propane grills.

Does the device (heater/grill) burn more of the gas if the tank's valve is open all the way?

or . . . does it save on fuel if the valve on the tank is turned down almost to the point of shutting off the fuel flow?

or . . . does the tanks valve matter at all? Meaning the device itself will regulate the fuel flow?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8864 on: December 29, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »
Here's another question.

Advisory
Watch
Warning

or

Advisory
Warning
Watch?

Sorry, Kenvee, but you've flipped watch and warning.

Watch is "conditions are currently right for this to happen. "  IOW, "We're watching this carefully."
Warning is "take cover, this is happening!"  Just like any other warning.

You're right, can I blame my medication? :)  I've only been hearing these my whole life in Texas.