Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1086039 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8880 on: January 04, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
I would never prepare food on a countertop without cleaning the counter off first. I clean it after I'm done using it and before. I thought that was just standard practice. However, I don't go to town with bleach or anything. I wipe it down with a warm, soapy, clean dish cloth. I know that doesn't kill all germs, but we rarely get sick, so I don't see the point. With the stuff cats walk around in, I would be much more obsessed with sterility.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #8881 on: January 04, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
I would never prepare food on a countertop without cleaning the counter off first. I clean it after I'm done using it and before. I thought that was just standard practice. However, I don't go to town with bleach or anything. I wipe it down with a warm, soapy, clean dish cloth. I know that doesn't kill all germs, but we rarely get sick, so I don't see the point. With the stuff cats walk around in, I would be much more obsessed with sterility.

Interesting. I see nothing wrong with putting food directly on a clean countertop, but I didn't realize people did that. I always use a cutting board so I don't have to clean my counters all the time. I also haven't had much luck keeping my cats from going wherever they want (at least when no one's looking), but they haven't figured out how to open the cabinets where we keep our cutting boards and plates.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8882 on: January 04, 2014, 07:52:10 PM »
In the yelling at cats thread, people keep saying that it's unhygienic to allow cats on food prep/eating surfaces such as tables and countertops. But do people really prepare food directly on the countertop or eat directly off the table? I would never consider that hygienic, regardless of cats, unless the surface had just been cleaned. Is it not the norm to always prepare food on cutting boards and to always eat off plates?

I generally prepare food on cutting boards and eat off plates, but in between I touch the surrounding surfaces a lot: I lay the vegetables I'm about to chop on the counters, drum my fingers on it while I think, etc, so there's still lots of opportunities for contamination.

This is where I am. It really bothers me that cats are walking through their litter and licking their paws - it's instinct, but I can't stand it - and then on counters and tables. They also a walking on the floor. Shoe free house or not, it's still the floor, sweaty socks or feet and all.

I really get creeped out about animals sleeping with people. Oh, my.

But, you seem to love it and as far as I know, no one has died from it, so it's your life and your pets.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:07:53 PM by Luci45 »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8883 on: January 04, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
No cats, but I do use the countertop pretty frequently for making a sandwich or something.  If I'm going to be using a plate anyway, I put that down first, but when it's just a question of spreading some peanut butter on a graham cracker for Babybartfast, I don't bother.  No reason the counters would be any dirtier than any other surface in the house.

Betelnut

« Reply #8884 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
I have cats and they do get up on the counter.  I shoo them off but, frankly, I'm not phobic about germs so I don't let it get to me too much. 

If I'm making food for people other than my daughter and me, I am a lot more aware paranoid about cleaning and keeping everything off the counter and making sure there is no contamination.

If it's just for me, eh.  I put bread on the counter to make a sandwich.  I put spoons, knives and folks on the counter before using them.  I'll put some crackers on the island/counter to munch on while I read the paper.

Germs are everywhere, even when you clean.  They can barely be managed and never defeated.  Our bodies are bacteria machines and transports.  Thank goodness for white blood cells and antibodies!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #8885 on: January 04, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »
In the yelling at cats thread, people keep saying that it's unhygienic to allow cats on food prep/eating surfaces such as tables and countertops. But do people really prepare food directly on the countertop or eat directly off the table? I would never consider that hygienic, regardless of cats, unless the surface had just been cleaned. Is it not the norm to always prepare food on cutting boards and to always eat off plates?

I generally prepare food on cutting boards and eat off plates, but in between I touch the surrounding surfaces a lot: I lay the vegetables I'm about to chop on the counters, drum my fingers on it while I think, etc, so there's still lots of opportunities for contamination.

This is where I am. It really bothers me that cats are walking through their litter and licking their paws - it's instinct, but I can't stand it - and then on counters and tables. They also a walking on the floor. Shoe free house or not, it's still the floor, sweaty socks or feet and all.

I really get creeped out about animals sleeping with people. Oh, my.

But, you seem to love it and as far as I know, no one has died from it, so it's your life and your pets. I just don't eat your food.

I won't argue with personal hangups. I'm just surprised at the assumption that I would place food on any surface where the cats have been walking. My cats might go on the countertops, but my food and utensils don't. I'm more cautious than many about food safety and I don't think my food is any more likely than the next person's to be contaminated.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8886 on: January 04, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
I sometimes make myself an herbal tea blend.  It has chamomile,  Valerian, and rose hips.  My cat LOVES it.  Any idea why?

He is the weird cat that will eat anything from broccoli to spaghetti sauce, but my other cats seem really interested in it as well.  I had to give them a saucer just so I could drink my tea in peace.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8887 on: January 04, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
I have three cats and they never go on the counter tops. Table, yes, counter tops, no.

I clean the counters and tables down regardless. I never prepare food directly on the counter or table surface.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8888 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:09 PM »
I realized how harsh and unnecessary that last statement of mine was and went to edit it out, hoping no one would see it so quickly.

Apologies to all.

It is especially funny that we are not so careful about expiration dates on food - never serve to guests, but we still use it, and we have never gotten sick from it!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8889 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »
I sometimes make myself an herbal tea blend.  It has chamomile,  Valerian, and rose hips.  My cat LOVES it.  Any idea why?

He is the weird cat that will eat anything from broccoli to spaghetti sauce, but my other cats seem really interested in it as well.  I had to give them a saucer just so I could drink my tea in peace.
An herbalist once told me that catnip is kitty pot*, and valerian is kitty cocaine.  Whether or not that's true, there must be some attractive compound in the tea that your cats can smell and crave.

*My cats stole a whole sandwich bag of freshly dried catnip, ate an unknown amount, and spent most of the night strewing the remaining crumbs all over the living room carpet.  I  got up to find two pie-eyed cats weaving around saying "Man, that was GOOOOOD weed!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8890 on: January 04, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »

An herbalist once told me that catnip is kitty pot*, and Valerian is kitty cocaine.  Whether or not that's true, there must be some attractive compound in the tea that your cats can smell and crave.

*My cats stole a whole sandwich bag of freshly dried catnip, ate an unknown amount, and spent most of the night strewing the remaining crumbs all over the living room carpet.  I  got up to find two pie-eyed cats weaving around saying "Man, that was GOOOOOD weed!"

I've had that happen with catnip as well.  It is really funny.

He likes other teas as well, but you are probably correct about the Valerian root (it's in his homeopathic calm the heck down medicine the vet told me to give him before taking him in...he gets a Little riled up in the car).  He'll drink chamomile by itself though and he really likes the Bigelow's sleepytime tea as well.  Heck, he likes plain green and black tea too...he's a bit strange for a cat.

Right now, I have some very mellow kittens.

ETA  the medicine is the only medicine I've ever had a cat voluntarily take.  He knows where it's kept snd will sometimes stare longingly at the cabinet.  I never put two and two together.  I guess I have a valerian root addict.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:50:31 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

wheeitsme

« Reply #8891 on: January 04, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »

My question is, how do I prepare coffee in a pot like this?

http://www.rubylane.com/item/680714-CB303/Fine-Antique-French-Brass-Coffee

My grandmother sent me something less ornate but with the same set up for Christmas: a pot with a long handle and there's a filter on the spout. Can I make coffee in it? If so, how?

I believe that is a pot for serving coffee, not making it.  The filter in the spout would be to make absolutely sure that no grounds get in the cups.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8892 on: January 04, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »
I too use the counter top at times. If I've wiped it down earlier in the day I don't wash it again for making a sandwich.  I make pie/tart/quiche crusts on my counter top. I have quartz and it's awesome because it is cool like marble, but not porous like marble or granite. 

I'm always vigilant about pet hair.  It gets everywhere.  Don't ask how many times I wash my hands while cooking. It's a huge number.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #8893 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »
Ok new question: Does anyone know how hair salons price haircuts? The one I go to lists a range of about $25-100+. Once you get past a trim, how do you determine the cost? Time spent? Length? Amount of hair removed? Or just the classic "knowing where to thump it"?
I ask because I don't think I ask for a lot of work and my haircut is done very quickly...but always ends up being on the high end, pricewise. :'(

Anyone have any insight?
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

gollymolly2

« Reply #8894 on: January 05, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
In my experience, it's usually based on the experience level of the person doing the cutting.  So a very experienced, in high demand hairdresser might charge $100 for a women's cut, regardless of length, while a new hairdresser in that same salon might charge only $35 for the same cut.