Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016552 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8895 on: January 06, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
Ok new question: Does anyone know how hair salons price haircuts? The one I go to lists a range of about $25-100+. Once you get past a trim, how do you determine the cost? Time spent? Length? Amount of hair removed? Or just the classic "knowing where to thump it"?
I ask because I don't think I ask for a lot of work and my haircut is done very quickly...but always ends up being on the high end, pricewise. :'(

Anyone have any insight?

If there is not a specific set price, like $10 trim, $25 short hair, $35 Medium, etc, then you need to ask before scissors touch your head what the price will be and what is the reason behind the pricing.  I personally despise salons that have the crazy price range with no explanation as to that particular price.

Like gollymolly2, I believe you are paying for a very experienced  in demand hairdresser.  Unless you are just totally devoted to them, I'd take a picture of my hair after the cut is done (from several angles) and go hairdresser shopping.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8896 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »
The argument for not allowing animals up on the table is that, unlike counters, most people will lay utensils directly on a table, and then pick them up and use them to eat, so it's wise to keep the pets off the table or wipe it down right before serving a meal.

Virg

cwm

« Reply #8897 on: January 06, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »
Ok new question: Does anyone know how hair salons price haircuts? The one I go to lists a range of about $25-100+. Once you get past a trim, how do you determine the cost? Time spent? Length? Amount of hair removed? Or just the classic "knowing where to thump it"?
I ask because I don't think I ask for a lot of work and my haircut is done very quickly...but always ends up being on the high end, pricewise. :'(

Anyone have any insight?

If there is not a specific set price, like $10 trim, $25 short hair, $35 Medium, etc, then you need to ask before scissors touch your head what the price will be and what is the reason behind the pricing.  I personally despise salons that have the crazy price range with no explanation as to that particular price.

Like gollymolly2, I believe you are paying for a very experienced  in demand hairdresser.  Unless you are just totally devoted to them, I'd take a picture of my hair after the cut is done (from several angles) and go hairdresser shopping.

I'm going to agree here. The one time I went to a high-end salon, the cut part of my haircut was done very quickly. The cut itself would have been $85, and the coloring would have been a lot more. This stylist, though, was one of the top ones at the salon.

It never hurts to ask. Just a simple, "Hey, I'm not sure I understand your pricing, can you break it down for me?" should be enough.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8898 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »
I sometimes make myself an herbal tea blend.  It has chamomile,  Valerian, and rose hips.  My cat LOVES it.  Any idea why?

He is the weird cat that will eat anything from broccoli to spaghetti sauce, but my other cats seem really interested in it as well.  I had to give them a saucer just so I could drink my tea in peace.
An herbalist once told me that catnip is kitty pot*, and valerian is kitty cocaine.  Whether or not that's true, there must be some attractive compound in the tea that your cats can smell and crave.

*My cats stole a whole sandwich bag of freshly dried catnip, ate an unknown amount, and spent most of the night strewing the remaining crumbs all over the living room carpet.  I  got up to find two pie-eyed cats weaving around saying "Man, that was GOOOOOD weed!"

My cats only reacted to catnip once, when they were about 6 mos old. I put some dried catnip on a paper plate and they had a sniff, and then devoured it. One then started rolling ON the plate, and the other got very very chatty.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8899 on: January 06, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »

Anyone have any insight?

I'm going to agree here. The one time I went to a high-end salon, the cut part of my haircut was done very quickly. The cut itself would have been $85, and the coloring would have been a lot more. This stylist, though, was one of the top ones at the salon.

It never hurts to ask. Just a simple, "Hey, I'm not sure I understand your pricing, can you break it down for me?" should be enough.

Exactly. A huge chunk of it is having an experience and in-demand stylist, and I believe the rest varies on the amount of work being done. If you're getting a perm or dye, then it will also adjust based on how much hair you have - the more hair, the more chemicals needed, and the more work required.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8900 on: January 06, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »

Anyone have any insight?

YES. to both of the bold above.

DD#2 is a new stylist (7 months) in a high-end salon. The prices for her work is a whole lot cheaper than the more experienced stylists. Even though they provide the same services, the more experienced stylist might do it quicker or might be more aware of what you're looking for or might be more comfortable/personable with the stylist-customer relationship.

With the higher prices you are paying for premium service.

Not saying that the lower priced stylists won't give you great service (otherwise they wouldn't work at that salon), it's just that they don't have years of experience under their belt and haven't been promoted yet.

So, yes, ask for prices when you make your appointment. You just might find a newbee stylists that is just as good as a veteran but comes with a lessor cost.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8901 on: January 08, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
Why would a certain part of a person's body feel freezing cold when the rest of them is comfortable?

I have a spot about the size of my hands right in the middle of my back that is constantly cold, almost painfully so, even though overall I'm quite comfortable.  This time of year only direct heat, like a heating pad, seems to take away that cold spot.  I'm currently wearing a t-shirt, thermal underwear, and a sweatshirt. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8902 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
Why would a certain part of a person's body feel freezing cold when the rest of them is comfortable?

I have a spot about the size of my hands right in the middle of my back that is constantly cold, almost painfully so, even though overall I'm quite comfortable.  This time of year only direct heat, like a heating pad, seems to take away that cold spot.  I'm currently wearing a t-shirt, thermal underwear, and a sweatshirt.

For me, it's a spot just above my left butt cheek, near my spine, about the size of my fist.   My cold spot is caused by nerve damage from herniating L4, L5, and just general issues with sciatica.

I knew one person that had MS that caused her to have similar problms, two with Fibro, and one guy that had a tumor that was growing around his spine. I'd urge you to ask your doctor about it just to rule out something more serious than a pinched nerve.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8903 on: January 08, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »

For me, it's a spot just above my left butt cheek, near my spine, about the size of my fist.   My cold spot is caused by nerve damage from herniating L4, L5, and just general issues with sciatica.

I knew one person that had MS that caused her to have similar problms, two with Fibro, and one guy that had a tumor that was growing around his spine. I'd urge you to ask your doctor about it just to rule out something more serious than a pinched nerve.

Seconding that urge. I have permanently cold spots caused by fibro.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8904 on: January 08, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »

I also have fibro, and I'm afraid that sooner or later I'm going to miss something really significant because I've just assumed that it's another random symptom off the fibro 'laundry list.'  :(
into books first.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8905 on: January 08, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »

I also have fibro, and I'm afraid that sooner or later I'm going to miss something really significant because I've just assumed that it's another random symptom off the fibro 'laundry list.'  :(

I know the feeling. :( I'm never entirely sure if something is fibro or one of my other issues.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #8906 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:39 PM »

I know the feeling. :( I'm never entirely sure if something is fibro or one of my other issues.

I'm never sure if twinges are arthritis, muscle strains because I've been walking oddly because of the arthritis, IBS, or medication reactions.  :P  I also get to wonder if I'm just 'down' or actually depressed, and if I'm depressed is THAT a medication reaction too?
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8907 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »

I'm never sure if twinges are arthritis, muscle strains because I've been walking oddly because of the arthritis, IBS, or medication reactions.  :P  I also get to wonder if I'm just 'down' or actually depressed, and if I'm depressed is THAT a medication reaction too?
As my father used to say, we should put us all into a sock, shake us up, and maybe a whole healthy person would walk out.
into books first.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8908 on: January 08, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »

As my father used to say, we should put us all into a sock, shake us up, and maybe a whole healthy person would walk out.

Ha! I like that. :) Can I quote you? My mother would get a kick out of that.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8909 on: January 09, 2014, 01:15:27 AM »

Ha! I like that. :) Can I quote you? My mother would get a kick out of that.
Be my guest.  I don't know where my Dad got it, maybe from Will Rogers.
into books first.