Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 847552 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8910 on: January 08, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »
Why would a certain part of a person's body feel freezing cold when the rest of them is comfortable?

I have a spot about the size of my hands right in the middle of my back that is constantly cold, almost painfully so, even though overall I'm quite comfortable.  This time of year only direct heat, like a heating pad, seems to take away that cold spot.  I'm currently wearing a t-shirt, thermal underwear, and a sweatshirt.

For me, it's a spot just above my left butt cheek, near my spine, about the size of my fist.   My cold spot is caused by nerve damage from herniating L4, L5, and just general issues with sciatica.

I knew one person that had MS that caused her to have similar problms, two with Fibro, and one guy that had a tumor that was growing around his spine. I'd urge you to ask your doctor about it just to rule out something more serious than a pinched nerve.

Seconding that urge. I have permanently cold spots caused by fibro.
I also have fibro, and I'm afraid that sooner or later I'm going to miss something really significant because I've just assumed that it's another random symptom off the fibro 'laundry list.'  :(

I know the feeling. :( I'm never entirely sure if something is fibro or one of my other issues.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #8911 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:39 PM »
Why would a certain part of a person's body feel freezing cold when the rest of them is comfortable?

I have a spot about the size of my hands right in the middle of my back that is constantly cold, almost painfully so, even though overall I'm quite comfortable.  This time of year only direct heat, like a heating pad, seems to take away that cold spot.  I'm currently wearing a t-shirt, thermal underwear, and a sweatshirt.

For me, it's a spot just above my left butt cheek, near my spine, about the size of my fist.   My cold spot is caused by nerve damage from herniating L4, L5, and just general issues with sciatica.

I knew one person that had MS that caused her to have similar problms, two with Fibro, and one guy that had a tumor that was growing around his spine. I'd urge you to ask your doctor about it just to rule out something more serious than a pinched nerve.

I also have fibro, and I'm afraid that sooner or later I'm going to miss something really significant because I've just assumed that it's another random symptom off the fibro 'laundry list.'  :(

I know the feeling. :( I'm never entirely sure if something is fibro or one of my other issues.

I'm never sure if twinges are arthritis, muscle strains because I've been walking oddly because of the arthritis, IBS, or medication reactions.  :P  I also get to wonder if I'm just 'down' or actually depressed, and if I'm depressed is THAT a medication reaction too?
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #8912 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »

I'm never sure if twinges are arthritis, muscle strains because I've been walking oddly because of the arthritis, IBS, or medication reactions.  :P  I also get to wonder if I'm just 'down' or actually depressed, and if I'm depressed is THAT a medication reaction too?
As my father used to say, we should put us all into a sock, shake us up, and maybe a whole healthy person would walk out.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8913 on: January 08, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »

As my father used to say, we should put us all into a sock, shake us up, and maybe a whole healthy person would walk out.

Ha! I like that. :) Can I quote you? My mother would get a kick out of that.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #8914 on: January 09, 2014, 01:15:27 AM »

Be my guest.  I don't know where my Dad got it, maybe from Will Rogers.
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

perpetua

« Reply #8915 on: January 09, 2014, 03:03:43 AM »

Be my guest.  I don't know where my Dad got it, maybe from Will Rogers.

Heh, my Dad and I say the same thing, paraphrased: "You couldn't make one good one out of the two of us".

It can be horribly difficult having an overarching health condition and not knowing if some new symptom is just related to that or something you need to worry about, so I sympthasise with everyone going through this.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8916 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »
*waves* yup! I'm on the fibro funtrain too.

Occasionally I have missed injuries/bugs because I've just put it down to fibro :(

Carotte

« Reply #8917 on: January 09, 2014, 08:02:11 AM »
The only dressy dress I own is this one:
is it appropriate for a summer wedding? (there's no church component in this wedding).
I have absolutely no idea what I can wear with it if I need to (july wedding so the temperature shouldn't be a problem I guess), do I need to plan for it?
The famillies are not conservatives so bare shoulders shouldn't be a problem but I'd like to be prepared just in case.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8918 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:45 AM »
I think it is a lovely dress for a summer wedding.  If you should need a coverup of some sort, a little white cardigan or even a white shawl would be fine.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8919 on: January 09, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
It would be lovely for a casual summer wedding but I don't think it would do if it is a formal affair. The cut of the top and the stripes limit how much it can be dressed up, as does the fabric (I imagine it is some kind of cotton).

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8920 on: January 09, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »
I'd say if the men who attend this wedding will be wearing suits, then the dress isn't formal enough, but if there will be attendees in smart casual wear, you're good.  When in doubt, it's always possible to ask the HC directly (or whoever connects you to them if you're not familiar enough to contact them directly).

Virg

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8921 on: January 09, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
I think it is a lovely dress for a summer wedding.  If you should need a coverup of some sort, a little white cardigan or even a white shawl would be fine.

This.  Get a white shrug/shawl/cardigan/whatnot and the whole thing will look dressier.  Pair it with classy shoes/jewelry and you're good to go for anything except a particularly formal wedding.

gollymolly2

« Reply #8922 on: January 09, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »
It would be lovely for a casual summer wedding but I don't think it would do if it is a formal affair. The cut of the top and the stripes limit how much it can be dressed up, as does the fabric (I imagine it is some kind of cotton).

I agree. If this is a casual wedding, like a backyard BBQ, then I think you could wear it (it's a very cute dress!) But this wouldn't be dressy enough for most weddings, in my experience.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8923 on: January 09, 2014, 12:56:16 PM »
I agree with others.  A white cardigan, or even a white jacket, would dress this up.  Add jewelry and it would be a great summer wedding dress.

I only have one other question.  Does it come in my size?  ;)  It's really cute and now want one. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Carotte

« Reply #8924 on: January 09, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input,
by the time the wedding comes I might even have been able to ask the MOB or the bride herself just to be sure, and have plenty of time to find a white something.

I agree with others.  A white cardigan, or even a white jacket, would dress this up.  Add jewelry and it would be a great summer wedding dress.

I only have one other question.  Does it come in my size?  ;)  It's really cute and now want one.

Sorry, the dress is at least a couple years old from Sinequanone (they're at least present in France, not sure about the rest of the world) so your best bet would be to keep an eye on summer dresses from a designer that would do this kind of things where you live, it might come back 'in style'.