Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 843450 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8955 on: January 17, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
How do(es) the International Date Line(s) work?

I know there's an imaginary line through the western Pacific Ocean where you "jump" into tomorrow from today (and reverse, if going eastward).  But where does it "come out" on the other side of the world?

I was messing around with one of those 24 hour time zone sites when I noticed that there was a line through Belarus and Ukraine that seemed to jump from Friday to Saturday.  Is this the other side of the IDL?  And if so, what is the line through Greenwich, England?  I always thought that was the line dividing "today" from "tomorrow" on this side of the world.

Did that question even make sense?

wheeitsme

« Reply #8956 on: January 17, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »
How do(es) the International Date Line(s) work?

I know there's an imaginary line through the western Pacific Ocean where you "jump" into tomorrow from today (and reverse, if going eastward).  But where does it "come out" on the other side of the world?

I was messing around with one of those 24 hour time zone sites when I noticed that there was a line through Belarus and Ukraine that seemed to jump from Friday to Saturday.  Is this the other side of the IDL?  And if so, what is the line through Greenwich, England?  I always thought that was the line dividing "today" from "tomorrow" on this side of the world.

Did that question even make sense?

The other side is the Prime Meridian ( 0 longitude) and is the one in Greenwich.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8957 on: January 17, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »
Prime Meridian (Greenwich) is the other side of the world from the International Date Line (noon compared to midnight).  The Prime Meridian is straight.  The International Date Line has been zig-zagged in places to follow country lines or keep some areas on the same date instead of the next (or previous) date. 

I understand that there are still places where it goes down the middle of a political division that can cause confusion....there is a story about a bride & groom who showed up, with all their family, one side on one day and the other on the next day - due to no one remembering that the other family lived on the "tomorrow" side while they lived on the "today" side....I have no idea if it is "real" or "makes a good story".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Tea Drinker

« Reply #8958 on: January 17, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
What might show between Ukraine and Belarus, if the diagram is done well, is a midnight line, so it's (say) 11 p.m. to the east of that time zone boundary, and midnight on the other. That's how we normally think of today and tomorrow: the official day starts just after midnight, even if mentally you count it as "today" until you go to sleep, even if that's at 3 a.m. The difference there, like the difference between Eastern and Central time in the U.S., is one hour. If you cross that line, you'll adjust your watch by one hour.

At the international date line, the difference is 24 hours. Instead of going from 10:30 Tuesday to 9:30 Tuesday, you go from 10:30 Tuesday to 10:30 Wednesday.

The time doesn't change at the prime meridian. Greenwich is (very approximately) in the middle of its time zone (Greenwich Mean Time).

OK, more detail than you might be looking for: time zones average 15 degrees of longitude wide, and theoretically centered on 0, 15, 30,...180 degrees either east or west of Greenwich. If you're near one edge of a time zone, that affects clock time at sunrise and sunset. Most people don't pay a lot of attention to that level of detail--you're more likely to notice that the days are getting longer than what the clock says when the sun is highest in the sky.

As VorFemme notes, a lot of the time zone boundaries are either slanted, offset from the longitude lines they "should" be on, to keep cities, states, provinces, and countries together. Alaska used to be three time zones; the entire state is now on one time zone. All of China is a single time zone, and keeps Beijing time, at least on paper and for purposes like train scheduling.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Snooks

« Reply #8959 on: January 19, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »
I've just bought my first proper "fancy" knee length dress.  The dress is lined but the lining seems to be clinging to me with a crazy amount of static, how do I stop that?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8960 on: January 19, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
Try running a dryer sheet over the underside of it.  It might cut the static enough to prevent it from clinging.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8961 on: January 19, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
It seems kind of silly, but you might try wearing it with a slip if you can't get it to stop clinging. You can shop specifically for a slip that doesn't cling to you, and then even if the dress clings to the slip it will still have the proper movement/shape.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8962 on: January 19, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
Agree with the drier sheet and slip thoughts.

Another thing to try is use plenty of body moisturizer on your legs . . . something you can easily reapply in the bathroom if the static cling comes back.

emwithme

« Reply #8963 on: January 19, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
Spray hairspray on your legs.  Don't know why it works, but it does!

Bluenomi

« Reply #8964 on: January 19, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
Antis static spray! Great stuff, I just get it from the supermarket. Otherwise hand cream or the like in your legs works as long as you aren't wearing tights.

You can have great fun with the international date line. It's possible to land in the US before you've taken off in Australia. Of course then it takes you an extra day to get back.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8965 on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
Slip + Static Guard:

The slip also helps for when you have to sit down, so your dress doesn't hang strangely over your lap and show an outline of your upper thighs  :-\

Snooks

« Reply #8966 on: January 20, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »
Thank you ladies I will slather myself in moisturiser and spray myself down!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8967 on: January 20, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »
Stay away from any ignition source when you are using static guard.  There is some anecdotal evidence that it can be quite flammable.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Snooks

« Reply #8968 on: January 20, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Duly noted.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8969 on: January 20, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
For those that use Static Guard -- don't you find the smell off-putting?

I just noticed on Slartibartfast's photo the can says "Fresh Scent" is this different from the regular static guard? I haven't used it in years because of the scent and don't remember if it said "fresh scent" or not.